“Awesome hike” 5 of 5 bubbles

$95.00*
and up
Hike Maderas Volcano in Ometepe Island
More attraction details
Owner description: The last eruption from this dormant volcano was 10,000 years ago.
Madison, Wisconsin
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Awesome hike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

We really loved this hike. We left from Hacienda Merida, and the trail started just across the road. Many other groups left by 7am, but we waited until 8 and it worked out well. About 3.5 or 4 hours to hike to the rim. Guides are required (although we saw one group go up without one) and ours was great, very fun and informative, speaking to us only in Spanish (other guides are bilingual). We saw a large group of monkeys on the lower part of the trail and our guide also pointed out some interesting plants and flowers.

The hike was very hot for the first hour or two before we got into the cloud forest. But, wow... the cloud forest was incredible. So dense, wet, and green. There were also several nice views of the lake and Volcan Concepcion. We relaxed for almost an hour at the rim, and after waiting a while the cloud cleared and we had a nice view of the crater lake below. It is possible to hike down from the rim to the lake, but our guide said you'll need about 2 hours round-trip.

We were back at the bottom in time for a lakeside lunch and beer before sunset. Highly recommended hike.

Visited March 2013

Fort Collins, Colorado
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Incredible Hike”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

The Volcan Madera Hike is difficult - and BEAUTIFUL!
Our guide was Omar Antonio Argeñal Galan. He was fantastic and his cel is 84106627.
Omar is also a bird scientist and knows so much about his island home. 1/2 of our group made it to the top and down into the lagoon and the other just to the 1/2 way point. Start by 6 am (daylight) to maximize your time at the top (down in). Even in the dry season, it is muddy. You will get dirty! It does not have switchbacks, it goes straight up. Well worth all the sweat!

Visited April 2013
Granada, Nicaragua
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“maderas volcano”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

I kiked its lusher, wilder side. The petroglyphs are much more common in this area. They were perhaps left behind by a race of tall, elegant people who occupied maderas volcano as late as the 1870s , but have since drifted away.

Visited March 2013
“Was exiting I enjoy this hiking I did its with my nephews I strong recommend to who's like to adventures like I do”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Verry beautiful I recommend to does people's that like adventures like I do I born in that Isla but I left when I was 14 years old now I'm 62 come back there was a great experience I recommended to does young people's is un forgetting experience

Superior, Colorado
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Strenuous, but beautiful - so much wildlife!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

The hike was strenuous, took the best of 6.5 hours at a average/fast pace - partially because of the humidity, but there was so much to see on the way! We hiked through coffee, banana and plantain fields. You must take a guide, the trails can be confusing, and I recommend NO LESS than three liters of water per person if you plan to summit. We drank every drop. You MUST ask your guide to take you to the lookout point on the way down from the crader, you get the most AMAZING views of Volcan Concepcion and the other side of Ometepe. The hike is incredibly muddy, and I wore light trekking pants to keep my legs protected. It was an unforgettable experience! Must, must, MUST do this hike.

Visited February 2013