“Beautiful Volcano!”

$159.99*
and up
Ometepe Island Day Trip from Managua
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I hiked this volcano after doing Maderas and liked it so much more! The trail starts out slow and steady - a great warm up. Then you start hiking up and up - but it's all manageable and there's lot of trees to hold onto. We had planned to stop at 1000m (the best view point before you enter the cloud forest and onto the volcanic rock). I think this is the best way to go when hiking this mountain, how we did it is a 4 hour round trip hike. If you go up past the 1000m it's another 5 hours but all on volcanic rock that doesn't lend itself to sure footing and in the cloud forest so without views. Just my opinion but I loved this hike and would recommend it! We went with Louis, our hotel, Hospedaje Soma recommended him and he was fantastic!

2  Thank EricAndSarahSeattle
There are newer reviews for Volcan Concepcion

Reviewed September 15, 2013

The Maderas climb is the standard "tourist volcano hike" on Ometepe, as it should be; Concepcion is not Maderas! This hike is dry, hot, sunbaked rock while Maderas is tropical rainforest. Two different worlds. Concepcion is longer, steeper, hotter and dryer. You need to be in good shape and you need to keep hydrated. Try Maderas first; if you have trouble with Maderas, forget Concepcion.

2  Thank waffle01
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We walked up a path through the village just down the road from Chaco Verde Nature Reserve and saw more howler monkeys and capuchin monkeys than on Madura and Chaco Verde put together. Also great for trogon and other birds. We only walked up for two hours and then had to return, but after going through peoples' gardens to get there (that's where the path leads) we only saw the odd boy with a horse and some cattle.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Situated in Lago de Nicaragua is Isla Ometepe. The island has a population of around 42,000 on an area of 276km2 and is 31km long by 10km at its widest, so I believe.

I had no intention of visiting this island, but I had been gently convinced by my two travel companions I had picked up in Panama City.

The task was to climb one of the two volcanoes; the extinct Maderas (1395m) and the active Concepcion (1610m), and naturally both of these companions being male; we had to take on the latter!! I fancied splashing about in the lagoon on Maderas.

We arrived Isla Ometepe by boat from San Jorge as we had just spent a few days surfing in San Juan del Sur. I cannot remember the place we stayed, as this trip was in 2003, but it was clean, friendly, they organized our excellent guide for the hike, packed us the perfect hiking food pack, and served the most delicious chicken and vegetable soup – much needed after a 10 hour hike up a volcano.

Thankfully we did in 7 hours, and as I have learnt from the Inca Trail, when you are being challenged on a mountain range, or a volcano in this case, you need to go at your own pace. In fact the Inca Trail was a breeze compared to this.

There are 3 stages of terrain on this hike – farmland and jungle, rocks – big ones – and then debris with the odd plant for support. It becomes incredibly steep towards the top and rather cold as the chilly wind blows in. As I pulled myself up the last 50m and only able to see 2m in front of me, as the clouds drew in; I got the giggles. Every step I took upwards, I slipped back 3 steps. I thought I was never going to make it to the top. I was encouraged from the top to stop laughing and ‘get a move on’. Sadly, as the clouds were there to stay we couldn’t enjoy the 360 degree view from the summit, but gazed into the crater whilst warming up on the hot ground and guarding our nostrils from the sulfurous air.

My legs were exhausted towards the end and I just wished for a helicopter to airlift me back to the hostel. I loved the hike and coupled with the adrenaline that this opening of the earth’s crust where hot magma, gases and volcanic ash escape from the magma chamber below, could blow at any point; this was one of my most memorable experiences.

I have never climbed a volcano since, although I had the opportunity to in Guatemala, because I wanted to keep this memory as my one and only.

TIP: take as much water as you can carry, (we took 4litres each), salt, boiled eggs, some bananas and an experienced guide – ours stayed by my side whilst my male companions quite literally ran up.

2  Thank Julienne H
Reviewed August 13, 2013

It is as if you are climbing a Stairway up the 1600m of the Volcano. Its slopes a 45° and that is how the path goes with steps of different hight, which makes it a tough climb. Further up its all shrubs that grow over the pathway, making the ascent and descent difficult, because one doesn't see were you step. If you have never climbed an active volcano before, it is worth the climb even if the weather is not clear. I was glad that it wasn't all sunny otherwise i would have been rosted. most of the way you do not have any coverage from the sun except for clouds. We made it in 6 hours from the main road and only saw the brim of the crater as well as feel the heat coming out of the rocks beneath one. A truely great hike and the view must be stunning, if there is one :-)