“Highlight”

$159.99*
and up
Ometepe Island Day Trip from Managua
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I had an amazing experience with my independent guide Antonio. We woke up, had breakfast, bought snacks and water, and got climbing around 630 or 7. The jungle was super interesting - Antonio pointed out all sorts of flora and fauna, trees and monkeys and exotic plants and insects. The halfway point is gorgeous, all green, rolling hills and the cloud line. We then continued to the top- it's a very legitimate experience, as you summit the lava flow part, there are no real trails.
It's illegal to go with a guide because the Nicaraguan government got tired of sending helicopters up for foreign tourists who met disaster... that being said, it's not super dangerous. I reached the top, was fantastic, and made it down by 4pm. Never more hungry in my entire life.

1  Thank circustiger

Reviewed November 13, 2012

If you are up for a work-out and a chance to see the beauty of the island, then this is for you! but not for the couch potatoes of the group...

Reviewed October 23, 2012

i went to hike the volcano concepcion with my family..my wife and our 2 kids (4 and 6 years old)
my 4 years old daugher reach 1100mts slm and for the guide was the yougest girl to reach this high in the volcano concepcion...
the view from the volcano it's amazing but like the volcano maderas, if you are not prepared don't go....if you go..bring a lot of water!!!! our guide Javier was really good.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

This was a highlight of my trip. We had to get up really early to try to make it all the way to the top, but it was well worth it. We had a great breakfast and sandwich lunch set up from Hospedaje Central and then we set off for the 5 o'clock bus. On our way up, which wasnt too hard, we saw many monkeys and different types of animals. We learned about the different trees and saw wild coffee. From the start, the environment is low, river bed forest, and then you slowly rise up to high, dense canopy forest, as you get closer to tree level, the trees start to shrink and turn to bushes, and finally you come out of it all, at 1000 meters, and suddenly you are in Ireland, with green rolling hills. Just above that, it turns into a volcanic moonscape at 1300m, and the real climb begins. It is full of scree and a real challenge to get up the last 300m. Finally at the top, if you are lucky and there arent too many clouds, you have an absolutely amazing view. You can see Costa Rica, across the lake to San Jorge, across the mainland, to the Pacific Ocean, 7 other volcanoes... its amazing. Just be careful of the wind... it is VERY strong. The unfortunate thing, is many guides wont go to the top, and a lot of them try to tell stories about high levels of gas, or too high winds to try and stop early. I would recommend going with the groups from Hospedaje Central, I had a bad experience with the guide office by the port, and have heard from other travellers as well.

It is a must do, I recommend it to everyone. Bring something to protect you from the wind, it gets cold up there.

1  Thank ElindioViejo_HC
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I think Concepcion is a must do when you are on Ometepe Island. The hike all the way up to the crater is pretty exhaustive, but once you made it you will have had gorgeous views and be proud of yourself to see what your body can do.

If you think you are not such a big hiker or physically not fit enough for the crater option there is no need to go that far as you can hire guides also for a smaller tour, which takes between 6 and 7 hours, to the 1000 meter mark just above the tree line to enjoy nice views after a good but sometimes steep hike up to La Floral, what they call the look-out point up there.

As I am living on Ometepe I did this small tour a few times myself until now and I am always enjoying it again and looking forward to go up there again. You shouldn't miss out on it when you're on Ometepe, just make sure you go up there with a guide. It is a nice hike and a wonderful experience, but don't put yourself in risk by trying to save a few bucks on your security and miss all the information this guys provide about the island, nature etc..