“Excellent welcome”

Finca Montania Sagrada
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This accomodation is excellent value for money. Hari, Mariella & Merka (apologies if we've got the spelling wrong) are all very welcoming & helpful, when we specified our favorite brand of Nicaraguan beer they bought some in town so it was available chilled - now that's what I call service . The room is clean, functional & very good value for the money. The location is very relaxing away from it all but less than 10 mins walk from the village (bring a torch). There's a couple of local bars in the village (which don't sell aforementioned beer) a decent restaurant at place which rents kayak on beach & an expensive hotel. So don't worry about the torch if you're looking for a big night out. Come here relax & enjoy

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maltontraveller

Reviewed December 31, 2012

If you want to "get away from it all" and appreciate beauty, simplicity, and nature, this is the place. I spent a couple of days at Finca Montania with my children (ages 23 and 25) in the Casa Miraflores, and we loved it. Hari and Mirka are full of good energy and warm welcome, and one of the treats of Finca is all of their animals--sweet dogs are everywhere (without being bothersome at all), parrots talk to you and do little acrobatic tricks for anyone who cares to watch, a lovely wind blows all the time, keeping you comfortable and lulling you to sleep in the evening, the juice is squeezed fresh from the fruits they grow on the farm, meals are ample and delicious, and you can lie in a hammock at night watching the moon and feeling more "present" than you've ever felt in your life.

Our house was just the right size, and was private though just a short walk up the path from the terrasse. They sometimes lose power at Finca Montania, and it happened when we were there, but I can honestly say that it didn't bother us at all, and even added to the rustic ambiance! If you are someone who would be at a loss without electricity, this place probably wouldn't be for you anyway. We had some candles and I actually enjoyed doing a bit of handwash in the kitchen sink by candlelight and then lying out in the hammock listening to the wind and watching the sky.

We spent several hours one day riding horses with Hari and a few others, and it was a blast. He makes a real effort to pair you with a horse that's good for your level of experience and even your temperament, and gives you helpful pointers without overdoing it. My son had never been on a horse before, but by the end of the ride he looked totally at ease. A lot of places would limit you to a line of walking horses, but if you like to canter and gallop, you can do that along lovely country roads overlooking water. My horse started out a tad on the slow side, but Hari helped me get her moving, and after a while I could do it by myself. We felt we could go at our own pace, and if we lagged behind a bit, he would ride back and gently get us moving up to the group. We went to San Ramon waterfall on Maderas volcano, and it was fantastic and refreshing after a fairly hot ride!

I recommend this to families that love nature, couples looking for a rustic romantic getaway, and anyone who enjoys animals. Imagine hiking, horseback riding, kayaking, volcano-climbing, or simply reading in a hammock followed by nights of deep sleep. It was pure heaven, and we weren't bothered by bugs even once. If I ever return to Nicaragua, and I hope to someday, this is the place I would go. Great for solitude, but nice opportunities to sit around a table in the evening (or morning or afternoon, for that matter!) and have fun conversation. What could be better?

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Louise F
Reviewed December 3, 2012

The room we stayed in was brand new, very clean and spacious, with a nice veranda overlooking the finca. Great value for money! From the finca it's only a few minutes walk to the lake where you can have a swim.
The owners are wonderful, generous people. They can tell you all about the island. We were given fruit from the finca when we arrived and had a delicous lunch of homemade guacemole, tomatoes and bread. The best guacemole we have ever had! In the afternoon, Hari took us on a superb horseriding trip to the San Ramon waterfall. He is a very knowledgeable guide who takes great pride in taking care of his strong and healthy horses. In the evening, Hari's wife gave us a ride to a nice restaurant where she was going to meet with some friends herself. We had a great time.
Merida itself is also a beautiful, of the beaten track place to stay on Ometepe.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Domovla
Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Thank you, Hari, Mirka and Marilena for finding and creating this wonderful place! We initially wanted to stay for three nights, but it became seven. We loved relaxing on the stunning-view terrasse and observe, how the clouds on both volcanoes change virtually every minute. You could of course do activity stuff as well, like horse-riding with Hari, kayaking and bird-watching on the Nicaragua lake and much more. Newly-build cabins and rooms, clean, affordable - perfectly located, though very remote on the country side. No place to find Jacuzis, flatscreens or AC. We enjoyed to dine and chat with the lively and really interesting owners - or walk through the village and get to know more about Nicaragua. All perfect! Thanks!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Staying here really gives you the best of all worlds. The place is on the remote side of Volcan Maderas set amongst a tropical paradise; The bungalow, "Casa Miraflores" was a very beautiful, and constructed in a more Western fashion. I actually got my first "hot" shower, after staying at several other nice places in Nicaragua. The bed was quite comfortable, the mosquito net kept bugs at bay, and the fan kept us cool all night.

If you relax out on the hammock, you are surrounded by butterflies, tropical flowers, trees, and birds. One can listen to the beautiful sounds of the jungle, broken by the occasional whinning of the horses, bark of the dogs, or "hola" from one of the resident parrots, whom fly freely around the property.

There is an out door dining/living area where you take your meals, if you so choose. Breakfast was fresh fruit juice, yogurt with honey, and toast with tropical fruit butter DELICIOUS! (they offered eggs etc. but we preferred this) I had a delicious pesto pasta for dinner one evening.

You can sit on this lovely out door patio anytime of day and socialize with Hari, Mirka, the other guests or just watch the animals and birds frolic and play. Mirka always has some nice music playing, and I found myself hanging out here the most and dreaming of being a permanent resident.

Between them, Hari and Mirka speak Engligh, Italian, German, and Spanish. They are both LOVLEY people with a great knowledge of the island and helped us set up and get around for our other adventures:

1.Kayaking up the river (try to get Willie as your guide, he speaks great English and has amazing knowledge about birds, fish, volcanoes and island life in an easy and humorous banter. He also will teach you the Spanish words and names for what you see.)

2. Horse ride up to the waterfall is a MUST DO!! Hari was an awesome guide: listens to his guests and places them on well-suited horses, best rental ride I'e ever had! There are monkeys on the way up, amazing views, and the falls themselves are spectacular!! We took a nice dip and shower.

I can't wait to go back and visit. It was very hard to leave this place. Next time I will bring bug spray; they don't bite everyone, but seamed to like me a lot... However, I can't say that any multitude of bites would dissuade me from making another trip back and soon.

Another note to the wise: bring long pants for riding/hiking and a pair of good shoes.

Thank you Hari and Mirka a million times over. This was by far my favorite part of my trip to Nicarauga.

Phoenix

Room Tip: Casa Miraflores was a large home tucked back away from the other houses, but not too far. The bedro...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank phoenix k
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed at the Finca Montania Sagrada for 2 nights back on 9.2 - 9.4.12 in La Cabana Mamasita (the one on the ground floor with the King-sized bed - $35 / night). Right now, you have the option of staying on the ground floor or upstairs with 2 full beds. They are currently working on another Cabana that will be geared for the traveler that with have more of an extended stay (to include a kitchen) for those that want to get away for a longer period of time. Hari & Mirka live in the Cabana Romantica as they are renovating it in the near future and it's not yet ready for guests. So, really 2 options, but you cannot go wrong with either.

The benefit of Cabana Mamasita is the King-sized bed, while the benefit of the Cabana Papasita is the view from the balcony. Fortunately for us, we were the only guests for those 2 nights so we were able to stay in Cabana Mamasita but take in the awesome views of Vulcan Concepcion, Vulcan Maderas, and even Lago Nicaragua in the distance. Overall, probably one of the best views of any place I've stayed ever. Awesome photos from up there.

Okay, to the room. Sure enough, the pictures I've seen on here are pretty accurate. There is a nice mosquito netting which I would highly recommend using. Again, this is basically a tropical island with plenty of bugs, but that should be expected. If you don't like bugs, go for an enclosed hotel in a city and expect to pay dearly for a/c in Nicaragua. But if you're up for adventure, this is a great place to do it. There is hot water (if I remember correctly) and trust me, you won't find that everywhere in Nica either. Sleeping with the windows open is probably the way to go, but be sure to tuck your mosquito netting under the mattress. My wife wasn't feeling the bugs, so we just went with the overhead fan. I could have handled the bugs, and mainly, they only come out at night, and are especially attracted to light. Tip, if you want the windows open at night, don't turn on the overhead light, but rely on the one in the bathroom.

Breakfast is included and we only ended up eating it one day since we left so early to catch a 7:30am ferry from San Jose del Sur, but it was quite good. It included yogurt with bananas (in the yogurt), bread, a type of marmalade, some sort of apple spread, and good coffee. And I don't even really like coffee! So, breakfast was solid.

We also ended up eating 2 dinners while there since they're relatively isolated and we ate out lunch one day down by the lake. Our first dinner included spaghetti bolognese, some sort of salad, and at least 1 other thing. I cannot remember now, but it was quite good for 140 Cords per person. The second night we had pesto spaghetti, filete de res, and a radish salad for 180 cords. The pesto was excellent. Since Mirka is Italian, maybe that's one of her specialties. The beef however was not a very good cut of meat at all. I tried to eat as much as I could stand, but ultimately, I would have preferred to have a second helping of the pesto. Oh well, it's still a pretty decent value.

Hari offered to have Mirka pick us up and drop us off to the "feri" ports for $25 each way. The buses don't run on Sundays and from everything I've read on the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree, the taxis are expensive from Moyogalpa. Ultimately, it was well worth it. Mirka even drove us to Altagracias before going to San Jose del Sur at around 6am so we could hit up an ATM before we left. Either bring a lot of cash with you or be sure to take some out before you get to the Finca as they are pretty isolated.

Also, this is the kind of place where it's helpful if you're a pet lover. They have something like 11 dogs, 4 cats, 3 parrots, and 10 or so horses. We love dogs, so it was fun for there to be so many of them. Da Nagi un abrazo por mi! Gracias Hari y Mirka!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Creebus
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed with Hari and Mirka for a couple of nights and loved every minute of it. The rooms they have are in a new and beautiful building set on the edge of a field, across which you can see the lake...and the AMAZING sunsets! Nice new beds, HOT water, and lots of bug free evenings on the patio with the gentle breeze keeping us cool.

They strive to use homegrown and local ingredients for their meals (breakfast is included with the room). We opted for dinner one night and it was great! Breakfast was fresh, healthy, and filling too.

Merida is off the "fast track" which is just fine by me. You'll get lots of smiles and waves from the local kids, warm greetings around town, and just feel "at home". Also took a kayaking trip on the lake to Rio Ostinal...lots of birds, fish, etc...fun.

Room Tip: Views from upper floor are fantastic!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple