“Started Planning My Return Before I Even Left”

La Via Verde - Organic Farm and B&B
Reviewed March 28, 2014

This place was the highlight of our trip to Nicaragua. Making the reservations was simple and Eileen was incredibly helpful giving us tips before we even got there. Once we checked in, she gave us a tour and we went to bed. When we woke up and saw the view, we were in nirvana. The view of the volcano was stunning and the breakfasts each morning were incredible!!! It's easy to order more than you can eat. Eileen gave us tips each day on what to do and where to go. She and Darren were the impeccable hosts. We didn't want to leave on the final day and, if we hadn't given a deposit for the next hotel, I don't think we would've left. I'm already counting down the days until I head back to this paradise retreat. If you're on the fence about Ometepe, go!!! If you can't narrow down where to stay, stay at La Via Verde!! It's worth every penny and the ferry trip to Ometepe.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for La Via Verde - Organic Farm and B&B

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Very nice bed and breakfast in a good location to rent a bike and explore this part of the island. The hostess Eileen will go out of her way to help with everything. Nice rooms, splendid view of the volcano from the terrace. Good breakfast. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Nihilnisibene
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We spent seven nights in this first class accommodation! We could reiterate all the wonderful comments made by others - but let us just say that everything you have read is 100% true. If you want a truly unforgettable experience - this is it!!! They continue to earn their high TripAdvisor rating - so book early and don't miss out!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for three nights with my boyfriend and loved it. The property is lovely, quiet and so clean. The view from the rooms is absolutely breathtaking. The lodge is located about fifteen minute walk from playa santo Domingo and bellgue the little town nearby. It's pretty easy to get around on the island and the owners will set up anything you want as far as activities. Eileen is thoughtful, attentive and passionate about their business. The breakfast is by far the best food I ate in Nicaragua- everything organic, local, homemade and amazing. Would rec this place to anyone traveling to ometepe!!!

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I spent 4 nights here in late January. Eileen was very helpful in responding to emails ahead of time and booking taxis and tours while I was there. She also ordered in dinner a couple of nights so if you feel like relaxing at the B & B you can eat any meal there. There is a fridge with beer for $1 and pop for $0.40 and free bottled water so very reasonable prices. The breakfast was amazing and included a choice of up to 3 items from a multiple item menu. I tried most of the items which included crepes, pancakes, omelets, toast, fresh home made yogurt from the farm, granola, and fresh fruit! The rooms are very clean and are screened with a hammock out on the balcony. There is a shared bathroom upstairs although I had it all to myself the first 3 nights. There is also another one downstairs if it is occupied. Eileen and Darrin also lent me a lantern for walking to restaurants at night time. Highly recommend the pizza place next door but go early to avoid the lineups! This would definitely be my first choice in Ometepe!

Room Tip: Both rooms are equally good. They also have a cabin if you want to be away from the main house.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 7, 2014

My husband and I spent two nights at La Via Verde on Ometepe, and I wish it could have been longer. First of all, Eileen is a wonderful, friendly hostess who gave us a lot of information on restaurants and activities in the area, and was fun to chat with. La Via Verde is a spotlessly clean B&B. The view from the shared deck of Concepcion Volcano was amazing - I could look at it all day! Each room also has it's own private deck with hammocks and rocking chairs for relaxing. There is an honor system refrigerator full of beer, juice, soda and rum (and water, which is free), and a wide selection of delicious home made breakfasts to choose from each morning. The rooms are a little on the small side, but I personally did not find that to be a problem. You also share a bathroom with one other room, which I have never done before, but again, didn't present any problem at all. The lack of air conditioning wasn't noticed, as there are screened windows and a great fan - and I am from the northern U.S. I would definitely recommend La Via Verde on Ometepe, and hope to return!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kim P
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We found staying at La Via Verde very relaxing. The rooms are very clean. You do have to share a bathroom if you're staying upstairs but this was never an issue for us. Eileen is a great host and is very helpful. The island is full of things to keep you busy. We wished we could have stayed longer. The view from the upstairs is great! The breakfasts were really good as well. Book it Dano!

You can rent bikes just down the road for around $6-7 a day. Every restaurant we tried on the island was a pleasant surprise. The local people are very friendly.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple