“A place to call home away from home”

La Via Verde - Organic Farm and B&B
Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Eileen and Darrin have created a great little place. Breakfast is huge! The rooms are the most comfortable we've found, and they have hot showers! The rooms are on the top floor so the view is fabulous and blessedly spider and scorpion free! I really and truly didn't want to leave. Book early to make sure you get to stay here.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank SMD919

Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights in August 2011, and like so many people have said, from the first point of contact with Eileen, she was extremely prompt and helpful.

I had arranged for transport from my hotel in Managua to San Jorge dock with Eileen, and their driver was very pleasant. We had a nice chat and he was glad to have a Spanish speaking passenger for a change! He was very obliging to my request to find an ATM as I arrived in Managua very late the night before. At Isla de Omepete, I was met by Eddie to take me to Vía Verde in his van. Be warned that somewhere between the dock and the hotel, the nice smooth road stops and turns into a very rocky and bumpy ride!

As I had been in Central America for several months, I discovered that I had a slight issue with the visa issued to me. On arrival, I was greeted by Eileen and discussed with her my predicament. She very kindly lent me their laptop, as they don't have wifi for guests, and gave me plenty of helpful suggestions for popping across to Costa Rica to renew my CA-4 visa. Since I was their only guest that evening, Eileen asked if I wanted to join her and Darren for dinner at Little Morgans. What a sweet and thoughtful thing to do! I enjoyed chats with them, the staff and locals of Little Morgans, over a very tasty spaghetti bolognese and a couple of Toñas. The walk back was interesting in the pitch black! But we had come prepared with torches! How the locals were able to cycle in the dark was beyond me!

Every evening you have to select your breakfast combination and I have to say, I was very impressed. Eileen bakes her own bread and it is very good. They also provide fresh spring water to drink and for guests to refill their bottles.

The rooms are quite small, but definitely do the trick. I had a veranda/balcony on the side with a hammock, which I made the most of! I love the feel of the place, its almost like a tree house especially as you look over the forest and have a view of Volcán Maderas from the "dining room". The bathroom was shared, and the shower was more than adequate.

I very much enjoyed my short stay at Vía Verde, and I felt that I was very well looked after in that time. Thank you again Eileen and Darren!!

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

From my first email correspondence with Eileen she was so kind and helpful with arranging our trip to Ometepe. It was my boyfriend's birthday while we were there and Eileen gave us many great ideas as to how to spend it. Eileen really makes this place special as so much love and care goes into everything from the rooms to the delicious homemade breakfasts. In addition Eileen and her husband Darren recycle everything, make most food from scratch and work so hard to reduce their footprint on the earth. We could all learn so much from people like them. Thanks so much for a lovely stay! We always recommend Via Verde to fellow travellers.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Delicious, hearty breakfast. A wealth of information and advice. Clean, comfortable rooms and patios. Beach towels, bath towels, hand towels, wash cloths, bath soap, hand soap. A+ guides and drivers provided. Not only will Eileen help you get to where you're going on the island, she will help arrange safe, friendly transportation mainland at prices less than Paxeos. What more can I say?

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank ElNinoDorado
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Eileen and Darren have been Organic farming this quiet location for a number of years but only recently built this simple 2 story structure for guests. It is, like everything they do, thoughtfully and mindfully designed, sturdy with steel beam framing. Both rooms are on the second floor, each with its own private deck, comfortable beds and industrial ceiling fan. There is a bathroom with a good shower upstairs and a 1/2 bath downstairs that guests may use if needed. The common area is a deck leading to the rooms with a great "canopy" view out to the Volcano. There you will find the "honor" bar refrigerator, games, books, Eileen's guide to the island and of course, the breakfast menu! Each evening you leave your breakfast order and Eileen and Darren rise early the next day to have it all prepared. Eileen even came up with some gluten free specials for us! Eileen is an amazing host and coordinated everything from ferry reservations to horseback riding to a translator for some service work to sharing her internet connection and even computer. Moving around Ometepe is a bit of a challenge though certainly drivers can be hired or bikes rented (we came with a rental 4x4 suggested for our needs by Eileen) and the road to Via Verde is now paved. I miss watching all the birds and bees from the porch and walking to the wonderful little beach across the road and through the woods. Both the parents and the teens in our family look forward to returning to La Via Verde.

Room Tip: Both rooms are wonderful.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank David98110
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Via Verde is a lovely place to stay at Ometepe. Our room was small, but of great standard, and with a lovely private terrace outside. The bathroom(s) is shared with the other room, however we were the only guests at the time we stayed. The bathroom was nice and clean, and we got the advertised hot water, the best shower I had in Nicaragua.

What makes this place extraordinary are the hosts Eileen, in particular, and Darrin. They are doing anything in their power to make your stay as good as possible, organizing tours, bike rental, recommending places to eat, setting you up with taxi drivers on the mainland, and show real interest in you as a guest. Eileen makes a fantastic breakfast, so don't even consider reserving "room only".

Via Verde is located a bit to itself, but with beautiful surroundings and great view of the largest volcano. It is approximately 15-20 minutes walk to any restaurants serving lunch or dinner. We strongly recommend bikerental so that is is easier to get around in the local area, as taxies are "rare", and it is quite far to walk to the closest "central area", Santo Domingo, but only around a 15 minute (nice) bikeride. Renting a bike is also really cheap.

Can definately recommend Via Verde if you are going to Ometepe, you will be in great hands!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank samo82
Reviewed June 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed for 5 nights with Eileen and Darrin at La Via Verde. It was definitely the highlight of our trip to Nicaragua.

The house was beautiful and every detail was thought out. There were beautiful views from the shared deck. And then each room had its own private deck area with hammocks and rocking chairs. It was a great, quiet place to relax. The rooms themselves were perfect, simple but the details were all thought out. The bed was comfortable, the high powered fan was great and the screens on the windows and doors fit well so you didnt have to worry about bugs getting in.

Eileen is a fantastic host. Her breakfasts were great. A big variety to choose from and everything was really delicious. Eileen went out of her way to make sure that we had a great time on Ometepe. She set up a horse back riding tour along with a kayak tour. She helped us every step of the way so that we were getting the most out of our time there. She also recommended some great restaurants for us.

Eileen and Darrin were really fun to get to know. We had a great time with them and now we feel like we have friends on Ometepe!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple