“Great tour of beautiful Ometepe on well-kept horses”
Review of Haris'horses

Haris'horses
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Haris Horses provides guided horse tours on the island of Ometepe, Nicaragua. We recently built cabins on the ranch and offer Bed and Breakfast accommodations on our organic farm called Finca Montania Sagrada. Dinner is available on request.
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We took the tour to the waterfall. About 5 hours and we stopped afterwards for some local food. Horses are likely the best kept on the island, and Hari is really dedicated to his business. See our review of Finca Montania Sagrada for more details. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Dausina

Reviewed January 4, 2013

we visited in december 2012 the welcome was great (see separate review for accommodation). But the best thing was that we wanted to go horse riding my partner has only been on ahorse once before & had a scary experience. Hari really took this info onboard reassured us all would be ok & it was!. I'm hoping this could mean we get to do more horseriding inthe future - thanks Hari

1  Thank maltontraveller
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Horses with good temperaments and in good condition, suited for beginner riders as well as experienced ones. You can choose from different kinds of rides, and different lengths of rides. Beautiful scenery and lots of fun. Wear as much padding on your rear end as you can under jeans, because you'll definitely feel it afterwards. If you go to San Ramon waterfall, wade in and stand under it. So great!!

2  Thank Louise F
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We had a good time doing the 4-hour horseback riding tour to La Cascada de San Juan. My wife had never been horseback riding and what better place to do so in such a beautiful setting.

We actually stayed at the Finca Magdalena (their Finca) and so we were able to start the ride after we'd had breakfast that morning (I'll independently review the Finca later). So, around 9am, we went into the pasture and our horses were ready and waiting. I'd been horseback riding a couple of times (many years ago), but it was just like riding a bicycle. My wife was instructed on how to sit, position her feet, and how to control the horse. All good refreshers for me since it had been years.

From there we made our way down to the main road to the main entrance to La Cascada (the Waterfall). There is an entry fee, so you'll need maybe 30 cords per person, but Hari will let you know much you'll need to bring with you.

The Cascada Property has bathrooms (which is nice although typical Nica style - e.g. no soap, no hand towels, don't flush tp, etc...) and the ride up was very cool. On the way we saw lemon trees, avocado trees, and various fora and fauna. Since I'm not a science type, I didn't know what most of it was, but Hari knew a fair amount about the property since he does the ride probably 4-5 times per week depending on the season. Oh and incidentally, we didn't see any monkeys that day, but that would have been an added plus.

Once about 100 meters from La Cascada, you dismount your horse, and then walk the final 100ms on foot (since the horses couldn't really get up there). Very cool to see and was well worth the $8 per hour per person.

One caveat is that if you don't ride frequently, your [--] will be sore the next couple of days and you'll really feel it after your first shower. Ouch the sting! You'll see what I'm talking about.

Very enjoyable excursion, and despite the fact that Hari's is "technically" rated #2 on TripAdvisor (even though it has way more positive reviews then the #1 spot), it's likely the best activity you can do on Ometepe!

2  Thank Creebus
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My friend and I took the local bus to Merida and we walked up the short dirt road to Harri's where we had a wonderful breakfast before departing for San Ramon waterfall by horse. Harri was a wonderful guide, the horses were very responsive, and we had a wonderful ride. Afterwards, Harri took us to a small local restaurant for a late lunch, and then dropped us in his truck up the road so we could catch the bus back to our hotel. This outing was one of the top highlights of my trip.

1  Thank palaise