“Great Place to Go Horseback Riding”
Review of Haris'horses

Haris'horses
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Haris Horses provides guided horse tours on the island of Ometepe, Nicaragua. We recently built cabins on the ranch and offer Bed and Breakfast accommodations on our organic farm called Finca Montania Sagrada. Dinner is available on request.
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We had a good time doing the 4-hour horseback riding tour to La Cascada de San Juan. My wife had never been horseback riding and what better place to do so in such a beautiful setting.

We actually stayed at the Finca Magdalena (their Finca) and so we were able to start the ride after we'd had breakfast that morning (I'll independently review the Finca later). So, around 9am, we went into the pasture and our horses were ready and waiting. I'd been horseback riding a couple of times (many years ago), but it was just like riding a bicycle. My wife was instructed on how to sit, position her feet, and how to control the horse. All good refreshers for me since it had been years.

From there we made our way down to the main road to the main entrance to La Cascada (the Waterfall). There is an entry fee, so you'll need maybe 30 cords per person, but Hari will let you know much you'll need to bring with you.

The Cascada Property has bathrooms (which is nice although typical Nica style - e.g. no soap, no hand towels, don't flush tp, etc...) and the ride up was very cool. On the way we saw lemon trees, avocado trees, and various fora and fauna. Since I'm not a science type, I didn't know what most of it was, but Hari knew a fair amount about the property since he does the ride probably 4-5 times per week depending on the season. Oh and incidentally, we didn't see any monkeys that day, but that would have been an added plus.

Once about 100 meters from La Cascada, you dismount your horse, and then walk the final 100ms on foot (since the horses couldn't really get up there). Very cool to see and was well worth the $8 per hour per person.

One caveat is that if you don't ride frequently, your [--] will be sore the next couple of days and you'll really feel it after your first shower. Ouch the sting! You'll see what I'm talking about.

Very enjoyable excursion, and despite the fact that Hari's is "technically" rated #2 on TripAdvisor (even though it has way more positive reviews then the #1 spot), it's likely the best activity you can do on Ometepe!

2  Thank Chris R
"jungle"
in 5 reviews
"motorcycle"

Reviewed September 9, 2012

My friend and I took the local bus to Merida and we walked up the short dirt road to Harri's where we had a wonderful breakfast before departing for San Ramon waterfall by horse. Harri was a wonderful guide, the horses were very responsive, and we had a wonderful ride. Afterwards, Harri took us to a small local restaurant for a late lunch, and then dropped us in his truck up the road so we could catch the bus back to our hotel. This outing was one of the top highlights of my trip.

1  Thank palaise
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We hired Hari and his horses for a 2-hour trip with our kids and another family with children. Hari picked us up at our hotel, La Omaja, at no additional charge which we appreciated.

Hari went over some basic horse riding tips before getting us all mounted on our own horses. Our tour ended up lasting around 3 hours, again at no additional cost and it was great! We went up the volcano, saw monkeys and butterflies and arrived at a beautiful view of the two volcanoes and entire island.

We had one hiccup where a horse took off running with our smallest rider, but Hari quickly got the horse under control and got us all back safe and sound.

I would highly recommend a visit to Hari's with his beautiful horses!

1  Thank TinglesinNica
Reviewed September 3, 2012

It is really worth a trip on some hard roads to get to Hari's. He is a candid guide and a bit of a character who knows the island well. The horses ARE well cared for- sadly, quite rare in Nicaragua. And they are well trained as well, so even inexperienced riders can have fun (and so did the experienced rider in our group!) If it fits with your plans, the lodging and little restaurant he has built looked very inviting.

1  Thank David98110
See more reviews
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed with them at their finca and did a horse tour to the waterfall. Really liked the owners, the horses (very happy and healthy animals), and the tour. I will say that, especially for my girlfriend, a 5 hour ride was a bit much for one day. Unless you ride often, your A%s is going to hurt like hell on a ride this long. I'm guessing that it was the frequency of "trotting" that made it worse, as the horses had pretty smooth walks, but the trots were pretty rough. Still, knowing that, I'd highly recommend Hari and his horses for a short or long (beware butt bruises) tour!