“Small problems”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Isla de Ometepe
Renton, Washington
“Small problems”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

So I stayed at this hotel with my family in March 2012. We arrived at the island at night and before we arrived we had no preparation whatsoever as to where we would stay so we asked the guides near the ferry and he recommended this place. As we were arriving to the hotel it looked very nice and hey the price wasn't bad. The problem with this hotel was the room and service. As soon as we arrived we left our bags in the room and headed to the restaurant. We were the only ones at the restaurant and it took an hour and a half to serve six people. Keep in mind we ordered simple food like spaghetti and gallo pinto. As we returned to our rooms and pulled back the sheets we found them scattered with bugs. I felt like they should either provide you with those mosquito nets or at least put some sort of bug spray cause throughout the whole night bugs were falling in my face or in my hair. Overall it was an ok experience. Since it's been two years since I've visited I definitely hoped it has changed

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Natmar15

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We can definitely recommend Hotel Playa Santa Martha. The location right at the beach, very friendly staff, good food and cool bears-What else can you ask for? You can see the two volcanoes and the san jose ferry stops only a few minute's walk from here. (From Moyagalpa it is only a 15 minute's bus ride). There are other restaurants nearby as well. You will love this place as well as the whole Isla de Ometepe!

Room Tip: There are cabanas with lake view, just a few metres from the beach! You'll love it!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ramona T
Beacon, New York
Reviewed August 28, 2013

To be honest, the hotel has a very nice location and was reasonably priced for a private cabin. However, I need to share an experience that occurred during our stay. My female friends had been invited to drink with the owner's son and when I (male) joined them, the owner's son asked me to translate his inappropriate comments to the girls. When I would translate, the girls were offended and scared, leading them to retire to the room. As they left, the owner's son became very aggressive and threatened my life, stating he would find me in Nicaragua. I complained to the owner the following day, and he was very accommodating and embarrassed of his son's actions but I still feel the need to inform future travelers of what happened. Considering I was paying for a service from this hotel, I did not deserve the treatment I experienced and want to share this story.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
12 Thank Peter H

Travelers are raving about these Isla de Ometepe hotels

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I have recently visited the Hostel and I was well impressed with the friendly staff and the environment. For only 15 $ for 2 persons a night you get a good sized cabaña wuth had a double bed and a bunk bed as including bed sheets.

The Lake is only one minute walk away and you get the nicest view to the smaller Volcano Maderas including sunset and if you walking to the shops which is only a 10 minute walk away you get a view to the bigger Volcano Conceptión.

The staff of the hotel are young people and always there to help. At the lake side restaurant / chill-out rancho, is also free wifi available. They will always help you with advice on how to get around on the island.

The Restaurant / Bar also offeres fresh mixed juices of the season which I enjoyed every day.

I can highly recommend to stay at the Hostel when visiting the Island.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Silvana P
London
Reviewed March 31, 2012

We booked this place by telephone just before we arrived on Ometepe. We were given a beach front casita which is just a few get away from the waters edge. The small beach is clean and isolated which was ideal. Swimming in the lake was great fun especially as our accommodation was on the waters edge. The place is in nice surroundings and they have a restaurant/bar area and hammocks. The area can get very windy at times and there were frequent power cuts when we were there. The restaurant seemed to be open all day and we didn't need to go anywhere else to eat as the food was always delicious. The casita was very rustic and basic with a TV. The room could do with a good scrub but the linen given was clean. The shower curtains were disgusting but we put up with it because the family running the place were great. They spoke a little english so we managed to communicate fairly well. I suggest that even if you didn't decide to stay here please do visit the beach (you will have it all to yourself) and have a drink and definitely try the food. We walked to the Charco Verde nature reserve and back which was great. Despite the cleanliness issue we loved our stay with such pleasant and gentle people.

Room Tip: Our casita was on the beachfront. The waves on the lake make a lot of noise so you may need earplug...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Munbun
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed August 2, 2010

We found the hotel at our guide but had no feedback about it. This was our first stop in paradise Ometepe. Nice terrasse and cabin in front of the beach. The service was splendid, Abraham and Odel were fantastic hosts. Odel provided excellent service and Abraham excellent and funny conversation.

Advantages:

You are very close to El charco Verde (20 minutes walking), which is a natural reserve where you can walk for 2 hours, having marvelous sights of the volcano and the lake, bathing in the beaches and seeing monkeys on the trees.

You can rely on the hotel staff, you can ask for information and the information is reliable (not common in the country). They will help you as much as they can.

They provide bicycle rental and horse riding on the beach.

It is a little corner in paradise, as you are bathing alone, no tourists around.

The food of the restaurant is very good.

Rooms are basic but comfortable and right in front of the beach.

The way to the hotel from the road is full of fireflies at night.

Disadvantages:

The island suffers from some electric cuts in the evening. But this nothing to do with the hotel, they will provide candles.

You are lost in paradise, but that's what it is about, isn't it?

Lidia & Sergi (Barcelona)
Desde los tiempos de la araña negra...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
18 Thank lcabellosaiz
#1 of 7 in Altagracia
Hotel Ecologico Tierra Blanca
Hotel Ecologico Tierra Blanca
#11 of 20 in Moyogalpa

Been to Hotel Playa Santa Martha? Share your experiences!