“Good humanitarian work, mediocre rooms, great food”
Review of Hacienda Merida

Hacienda Merida
Reviewed June 19, 2010

The place does all sorts of humanitarian stuff for the island. Try to negotiate a better rate for low season though and you will get a whole speech about it. They even charge $4 for the wifi eventhough its free everywhere else I went. I would have preferred *voluntary* donations.
I would stay away from the expensive private rooms on the top floor because the walls dont go to the ceiling so bugs are a constant nuisance. They charge hotel prices for those rooms eventhough its more like a camping in a hut.
The food is actually very good despite a rather limited menu. That helps a lot since its a hassle going to other places.
Theft is also a problem there, so be careful with your stuff.
Despite some issues with the rooms, the place is fun to hangout in and you meet lots of people.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank dtrachtman
There are newer reviews for Hacienda Merida

Reviewed March 15, 2010

At first I thought the place was heaven - a little bit of a trek to get to, but worth it to have such good views of the lake and proximity to a range of activities. (hiking to waterfall, up a volcano, horseriding, kayaking etc..)

Then I checked in... the first thing I had to do was read the hotel rules, it wouldn't have been so bad if there were only those couple (no drugs, and be quiet at night) but there were signs all over the place telling you of numerous things you cannot do, or stongly advising you not to do. It felt a bit like being lectured by my parents.

You are asked to be silent (not just quiet) after 10pm. maybe going to bed early is a good thing - the bell for the breakfast buffet at 7am serves as a wake up call for everyone, and the on-site school at 8am meant going back to sleep wasn't an option and the hostel wasn't as peaceful as I'd hoped.

The food is ok, but can be slow, and orders sometomes went to the wrong person especially when people had similar names. As others have said, check your bill carefully at the end of your stay for all services, not just food.

the rooms are basic, but fairly spacious, clean enough and have good fans. there is a big gap between the wall and roof, so there are also quite a few bugs. If, like me, you get eaten a lot it is worth bringing a mosquito net - theirs had holes in it.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 1, 2010

The place has an endless amount of rules which takes away from you being able to enjoy your vacation. The owner is very arrogant and thinks he is a know it all. It is hard to get away from his opinions since he is always around. He also does not treat the staff with very much respect. If you know Spanish the staff is very friendly. Some are school aged children since it is cheaper labor. The location is good but out of principle I would never suggest staying here. It is also a very expensive place in regards to the surrounding area. Finally, the owner acts as if he does a lot for the community, however, this is not true. Just ask the locals.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank chrismc45543
Reviewed January 25, 2010

I spent four nights at Hacienda Merida. As it was the Christmas holidays, they only had dorm accommodation available for a few nights, and then had private bedroom available thereafter.

I quite enjoyed the dorm; it was uncrowded and the bed was clean. I was even able to arrange the fan so that it blew over me.

There were no real mosquito problems (which I cannot say about the area around Playa Santo Domingo), the ambience was relaxed and friendly.

The dinner buffet is good value - nothing to rave about, but the food was quite decent for a buffet. I never tried the breakfast buffet but there desayuno tipico (eggs, gallo pinto and a square of cheese) was decent and I really enjoyed their huevos rancheros.

Hacienda Merida does not have its own guides but rather there is a guides union located just outside the hotel. Some of the guides can be a bit persistent but are generally well mannered. When one guide tried to tell me that I had hired him when in reality I was going with a group and he introduced himself as being "your guide", when he was not, he readily and without complaint acknowledged that he had not been engaged.

There are all sorts of horseback riding opportunities (I went to Playa Santo Domingo and Ojo de Agua), as well as hikes . Vulcan Maderas is challenging - be aware that it is slippery (at least in December) and is a scramble up.

Kayaking is great, but the Istia River is really more of a swamp than a river - but that means that there is a good selection of birds and wildlife.

The staff were friendly; the owner is friendly but cannot be at anyone's beck and call. When he has the time, he has a lot of information.

Sometimes the staff will erroneously bill you for another table's order - just review the accounts daily. The staff will readily correct any erroneous entry.

I would definetely come back here. Note well that if you want to use local island buses to get to the hotel, you should arrive at Moyogalpa by no later than 3:30 p.m., which means you should take the 2:30 ferry from San Jorge.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank bopenyan
Reviewed January 24, 2010

Stayed for 2 nights in a private room with private bathroom, and a hammock in the balcony. The accomodations are basic but adequate, you cannot expect luxury here. If you're looking for a fancy hotel with A/C, do not stay here. You hear everything in the adjacent rooms as other people have said, but it goes with the atmosphere of simple accomodations. Found 1 tiny spider on our bed but otherwise insects did not bother us. The owner sprays hormonal-based treatments on the property to keep the number of insects low. We stopped for lunch one day at the hotel Villa Paraiso, and the insects in the outside restaurant were bothersome. We didn't have that problem in Hacienda Merida.

The owner Alvaro was very pleasant and easy to talk to. He is involved in many projects to help the children of the nearby community. The food was adequate and abundant, and we had a great time talking to other guests during breakfast and dinner time. There is no hot water, but it was so hot in the island it didn't matter. When we arrived, had to ask them to clean our bathroom, but they cleaned it right away. This is a place to relax and enjoy the island in a basic setting. We enjoyed the quiet location, close to nature, away from the main port, very close to San Ramon Waterfalls and Volcan Maderas, and it is easy to bike or ride horses from this location.

I would love to come back and stay for longer.

Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2010

The flyers and website for this place are misleading, you think you are going to arrive at a place that will help you plan your days, and give you helpful information about the area. However, you feel more like a bother when you ask questions.

Location: Beautiful, but hard to get to and once you are there. you are there.

Rooms: Quaint, cute, but like someone said you can hear your neighbours breath

Common Area: Not a ton of comfy places to hang out, plastic chairs and cement benches... and an uncomfortable vibe from workers and even travelers, probably feeding off the owner's arrogance.

Food: Not the greatest and if you are last in line at the buffet there are slim pickings.

Likes: Monkey Island, especially at feeding time. The employees that fed the monkeys were amazing. Also liked the dock.

I would only recommend this place to someone who intends to hike meridas, however, I bet if you search you could find a much better place than this one.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dig-ible_Traveller
Reviewed September 25, 2009

I live in Nicaragua, so I know what the hotels here are like. I stayed at Hacienda Merida in April 2009, and I had a very unpleasant experience. Therefore, I would NOT recommend staying at this hotel.

-- The staff was very unpleasant. They rarely smiled and did not go out of their way to help me.
-- The food was mediocre, and the service was horrible. I had to wait at least an hour to get my food each day. Even when there was a buffet, it was always late and of poor quality. I tried to find other places to eat, but there is only one other hotel in the area, and it's up a steep hill, so I only went there a few times.
-- The walls of the rooms were paper thin, so I could hear everything my neighbors were doing. I heard someone in the room next to me sneeze and it sounded as though they were in my room with me.
-- Power went out at the hotel for several days while I was there (even though everyone else in the area had power, so not sure what was going on.) I live in Nicaragua, so I'm used to power outages, but usually the owner will use a generator in the rooms. The owner of Hacienda Merida only used a generator in one common area, so it was extremely hot in the rooms since we couldn’t use the fans.
-- The owner was very rude with me and other guests. He practically bit my head off whenever I asked him questions about the power outage. Also, I saw the couple in the room next to me sit outside their door for over an hour while the owner made them wait to check in.

Overall, a very bad experience on many levels.

Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo