“Great stay!”
Review of Hacienda Merida

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla de Ometepe
Hacienda Merida
Hamilton, Bermuda
“Great stay!”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We have just spent an enjoyable 3 nights stay at hacienda Merida. We really enjoyed our stay, close to activities, all of which can be arranged through the accommodation. Their helpful and informative guides are excellent, our guide was named simion, a true legend! He can speak to monkeys and his fitness levels are way better than my husbands and I. He guided us on our volcano maderas trek and kayaking rio istiam.
The owner was always around and whilst i didn't have a conversation with him I found him to be approachable and ready to help / advise. He appeared to be very professional and knowledgable.
For the price the rooms were great, we had a private double room. There are many areas to chill, relax, watch the sunset and simply just gaze at volcano concepcion.
My only negative comment would be, there are 2 guys who work on reception, one is absolutely lovely, helpful and full of smiles.... The other was quite the opposite!
On the whole I would return to Hacienda Merida without a doubt and I would recommend to friends.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We were staying in Hacienda Merida for 2 nights and quickly turned into 5 nights. It was just so relaxing. We had lovely food and I highly recommend the veggie burger and the passionfruit/soya milk milkshake along with the coconut ice-cream and banana milkshake. We rented kayaks and went horseback riding, and we were able to pay our bill at the end with our credit card, which helped as there are no ATM's in this part of the island. Yes the food is more than other places, but I really enjoyed it. And amazing sunsets and views of the volcanoes.

The only thing I had a problem with was some of the staff were at times rude. But I think it is more lack of training than anything else and not understanding what is expected in a service environment. There are also a lot of dogs wondering around and it was really sad and I felt like crying because of how skinny they are, especially one in particular. And I watched a child repeatedly kick one of the dogs and it made me very upset. The dog put its ears down and quickly walked away. There are signs that you cannot feed the dogs, which I understand but it is still hard.

I have read the mixed reviews and we still had a really enjoyable time overall.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We were in Ometepe just a few weeks ago and decided to stay in Hacienda Merida. The hostel wasn't as clean as expected. In busy times, I can understand this, but during our stay there were just 4 people in the hostel. Furthermore is the food not really good. Often it is not hot, and the choise is very minimal.
Regarding the staff; most of the staff is helpfull, but they don't speak English or even understand English (except a few). The owner is a man that wants to tell his own opinion and never listens to you. The worst thing is that we heard a few days later from 2 other people, that he has been telling stories about us and that he thought we were lazy. Beside the fact if it is true or not, it is never nice to hear that people talk about you behind your back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

After seeing this as a choice pick in the latest Lonely Planet we decided to stay at Hacienda Merida upon arrival in Ometepe. It ended up not being quite what we expected...

The location of the hacienda is beautiful - right on the lake with a great view of Conception volcano when you stand on the shore/dock (no real views from the common area really as its in a garden).

Best bits of our stay for us were the location due to these 2 activities:

1# We hiked San Ramon falls here, getting there by bikes from the hacienda. The bikes were good quality and it was reassuring that the guy looking after them, Yuri, (Russian guy) gave them a good test first! Worth the hike to the falls (it is a hike, quite steep in parts with rock/stream crossings).

2# We also had a tour with one of the guides (they are there at night at the hacienda to give you info/sign up) using a hacienda triple kayak to River Istian - was great with superb views and scenery. We saw lots of birds, turtles in the lake and a caiman. Our guide was lovely, knowledgeable and good fun.

Bits we didn't like so much:

1# The food - was not always great and was expensive for what it was (you're a captive audience there!). Had pancakes that were still raw in the middle, 'crepes' that were thick & dry with tasteless fried veg inside, oatmeal that had big stodgy lumps in it. Coffee was pleasant enough and the banana pancakes were ok (when cooked through).

2# Staff - the first staff member we met and saw just the once (a young girl - Helene?) was really lovely and the cook was generally ok, though the other young teenager guys that work there were pretty unhelpful, not so friendly and at times rather rude. They seemed like you were putting them out by being there - never smiling, dragging their feet around.

3# The room - we were in was quite dark and suffered from an invasion of all kinds of insects. Thankfully the mosquito net kept out most (including three largish spiders!) though it didn't stop them from defecating on our stuff! We suspect it was the geckos - a few people got hit with the lucky stuff in the restaurant area too. In over a year of travel time in Latin America, have not seen anything like this before! Also there were stacks of flying bugs, more annoying than biting, but these all died overnight (hence the full geckos!) and were also all over the surfaces and floors in the morning. Am not squeamish, but after three days I'd had enough of dead bugs and gecko poop. :-$

4# Comfy communal places. There were only 3 hammocks in the shared area - not enough for all the rooms (2 rooms upstairs had private hammocks though - these are the best views with rooms though we're sadly full when we were there). No other comfy places to relax after a big hike.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BritishMigratoryBird
New York, NY
Reviewed October 27, 2013

After reading all of the mixed reviews on Tripadvisor, I decided to stay here anyway. I had originally planned to spend 5 nights here but decided to leave after two.

Pros: Great views of the volcanoes from the pier. Easy access to the waterfall, Rio Istian, and other sights - you're probably going to end up in this neighborhood at some point anyway if those activities interest you. Decent food. Clean communal bathrooms.

Cons: God, where to begin.
1) While there are great views of the volcanoes, that's only the case from the pier. There are a couple of chairs on the pier, but otherwise it's not exactly a space where you would chill out. You end up spending most of your time in the restaurant, where there are tables and hammocks galore, but your view is the restaurant and the garden, since it's set back from the water a bit. It just seems like a waste to spend so much time in a noisy restaurant with no views.

2) Speaking of noise - the reviews that talk about the little kids running around and screaming? Definitely take those seriously. I really appreciate that Hacienda Merida is doing its part in the community and I like that my money goes toward supporting this school. However, for some reason, all of the kids stop off in the restaurant around 8am, so there's a lot of noise. Furthermore, once school is out, there will be a few running around the hostel and making a lot of noise, and none of the adults are disciplining them. It is not relaxing.

3) I had to switch from one dorm to the other because I couldn't handle the conditions of my room anymore. There was a steady stream of huge ants on my bed - sometimes they wouldn't even be walking anywhere, just hanging out on my sheets. I was also finding some sort of animal excrement on my sheets. One of my roommates and I surmised that perhaps it was bird or gecko excrement, but we never found out. However, once I switched rooms, I didn't have any problems.

4) The owner is pretty in-your-face and abrasive. I had read reviews about this and planned to just avoid him, but no, he just finds you. I was laying in a hammock and he literally pulled up a chair across from me to start a conversation, the subject of which I found pretty annoying and mildly biased. So instead of being able to read my book in peace, I felt compelled to engage him. There's no doubt that he does good work in the community, but on a personal level, I found him loud, kind of obnoxious, and largely unavoidable.

5) Some of the kids who work here - and they are kids, since most of them look like teenagers - have an attitude. The last thing I want to deal with on vacation is a 14-year-old just doing enough to slide by.

If you have to be in this area anyway for various activities, it's not the worst place to base yourself, esp if you'll only be there for meals and sleeping. But if you want to spend your days relaxing and chilling out here, I wouldn't.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank enigmused
Managua
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The place is a true gem, its all ecological, the owner, is very good with the natural resources and helps out the community and the environment, If you want to visit the Waterfall its perfect. Otherwise, its a bit out of the way from the rest of the attractions in the Island. The beds are comfortable the rooms and bathrooms very clean, although it could use a little paint. Good food at a very reasonable price. There is no music in the restaurant which is perfect, because you can enjoy nature and are able to converse. A piece of advice, some signs on the road to find the place would be great, also signs when you arrive at the property, there was nobody to greet us or how to find the reception. I had car trouble and the owner was very nice to help me find a mecanic and his brother towed me all the way to Moyogalpa, 15 miles away. very nice people, I will always be greatful for that gesture.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Myself and a few friends stayed here in February of this year for one night. The hotel is rustic and beautiful, with great views and plenty of hammock space. The owner took us on a tour of the grounds and explained his innovative, environmentally friendly development model. One of the school buildings was in the middle of construction and it was very nice to see different stages of completion. You cannot purchase beer from the restaurant late at night (I believe 8 or 9 o'clock), and while I respect the philosophy behind it, the owner seemed quite rude when we asked him directions to Little Morgans (and if we could easily get back later that night). The owner went off on a rant about the type of people that go to this other hostel, conartists in the area, his problems with the local authorities and issues he had with people in the past. He basically trash talked every other hostel in the area.

I respect the man's work, but his long rants seem very unprofessional and very off-putting. Needless to say we left the hostel a night early.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends