“Good for the edge of the desert!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kasbah Asmaa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Zagora
Kasbah Asmaa
Ranked #26 of 32 Zagora B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Good for the edge of the desert!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Rating this by European standards is pointless...

By Moroccan standards...this is a fabulous stop on the edge of the desert, comfortable rooms, good food, wine served and very friendly service. Overnight stay in the desert trips via Land Rover organised. What more do you want?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Roughguidereader

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

I am late writing this review as it's been nearly a year since we went to Morocco, however, this hotel is one that we have stayed at multiple times over the last 15 years. I'll make it clear that we are not ritzy travelers and generally do not ask for much when we are overseas -- in addition, I am an American that speaks Moroccan Arabic, and that may make people more inclined to be kind to us.

We arrived without reservations one evening and were immediately greeted kindly on walking into the front garden. We were shown three rooms and picked one overlooking the pool area. We were three people (one couple and a friend) and they were nice to show us a variety of set ups of beds. We arranged a camel trek the next day through the front desk folk. After walking around town a bit, we ate dinner in one of the beautiful tents set up in the garden area -- the food was very tasty. The waiter did hover a bit, but the hotel was quiet and we were only one of two sets of people in the tents. He didn't seem to rush us -- just seemed to be attentive. Unlike one of the previous reviews that mentioned the decor as kitchy, I didn't find it that at all -- I lived in Morocco in the mid-90s and the decor is about as Moroccan as it gets.

We slept fine, with a cool breeze coming through the balcony door. Kitchen noise did not wake us in the morning.

The hot water in our part of the hotel was heated with a wood fire on the roof. Yes, it was limited, but then again, we didn't need long showers. In fact, I thought this method of heating water was rather ingenious.

Our car was watched as we went on the camel trip overnight. The next day when we arrived back, they kindly allowed us to shower before leaving since we were covered in sand and dust from the desert.

We'll be back again.

Room Tip: Definitely try to get a room on the pool side -- you'll overlook the gardens as well as the pool...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Julianne D
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here at this lovely authentic hotel in the Draa Valley in November 2011 and do not agree that this place is 'horrible' as stated by another reviewer.
We have certainly stayed in far worse hotels during our holiday in Morocco at higher prices.
The service was excellent as was the Morrocan decor and atmosphere. The hotel had a lovely garden which was well maintained.
Our room was large and extremely comfortable and very good value.
The food we had at the hotel was very good and the staff in the restaurant could not do enough for us.
We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to prospective travellers.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Rabat
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

First let me start with why I came. Yes, I did see that it was #11 out of 17 reviews in Zagora. And yes, I did see that the first review listed it as "horrible". So why did I still come? Trust me, this was not my first choice. We were meeting friends in Zagora for a camel trek. The first couple booked here, the second group thought "eh, let's stick together". So we were left with either finding a hotel in which we had more confidence or sticking together for ease of organization. We mad the wrong choice!!!!

This place is horrible. The rooms are old, grimy and musty. That's okay if you're paying hostel prices; it's not okay if you're paying the same amount as a lovely riad. You need to time your toilet flushes ... it takes about 30 minutes for the tank to fill. Start your morning shower 10 minutes early ... that's the time required for the hot water to come through.

These are all things I can normally deal with when I've gotten a decent night's sleep. But we were put above the kitchen. We were tired after a long drive from Mergoza and my boyfriend wasn't feeling well. We wanted to go to bed early. But that wasn't meant to be. Luckily he took some medicine to make him drowsy. I was up most of the night and then early in the morning listening to the banging of plates, cutlery and pans. The staff had no inhibitions about yelling at each other from one area to another. Just as I was about to fall asleep I'd head a gas tank (for cooking ... we have the same at home, I recognize the sound) being dropped on the bare tile. I tried to fall asleep listening to my ipod, but the noise was still audible.

While this place isn't horrible, it does have a lovely garden and pool area, I wouldn't recommend it. There has to be nicer, quieter places around. Keep looking.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Zagora hotels

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2008

All I can advise is: do yourself a huge favour and don't stay here, save your money and most importantly your time in Morocco. 730 (approx. 70 euro) dirhams a night for an awful room with flies galore. The decor in the hotel is so kitsch, that should have been our first sign but when you are tired and have been driving for hours you tend to make the wrong decision. When we were checking in the owner tried to sell us a cheesy saharan "desert" trip, when we didn't sign up we were met with a sour face and mutterings under the breath. Not that he was particularly pleasant and friendly beforehand.

We decided to try the dinner there as Zagora doesn't have a huge selection of restaurants, most of them are hotel based, and as we hadn't sampled the cuisine as yet we didn't know any better. The waiter tried to sell us the desert trip yet again after smoozing us during the dinner. He and the owner were standing with their backs to us at one point during dinner and kept turning around to look at us, we knew they were discussing something about us and lo and behold we were "hit" by the waiter's offer. When we refused again he went back and obviously told the manager that he wasn't successful to which we got plenty of dirty looks and awful service for the remainder of the dinner, night and next morning. The dinner was awful. At next morning's breakfast the bread and pancake tasted odd so I ate only a few bites and left it. When we went back up to the room to pack our bags they switched off the electricity and we could not see in the bathroom which had no window to wash ourselves. We checked some of the other rooms on our floor that were open and being cleaned and they all had electricity so they had obviously switched it off only in our room to make us leave early or to punish us for not doing the desert trip. Of course they denied this when we asked at check out.

The next day I was violently sick and I am convinced it was the breakfast or dessert at this place as I always ate hot food and no salads. The hotel did not look at all clean and as they have such large tour groups on packages (the only customers besides us I'd surmise) I'm sure short cuts are made all the time on hygiene.

Stayed March 2008