“the Amazing merzouga”

Sunset Camel Ride in the Merzouga Dunes
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Rissani
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
New York City, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“the Amazing merzouga”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

i loved the simplicity of lifestyle in this area. the berbers are very nice. the fascination of the dunes is beyond discussion . absolutely a must see attraction. Moroccan Nomad Excursions took us to meet local families and share some local dishes with them.

Visited April 2011

• Czech first
  • Polish first
Berlin, Germany
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Best part of my holiday in Morocco”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2012

I just arrived from a 2 week holiday in Morocco and my night out in Erg Chebbi was definitely the highlight of my trip. We went on a 3-day tour Camelsafaries.com, starting from Marrakech through the High Atlas mountains, stopping by many amazing sights in south-eastern Morocco, the first night in Dades Gorge and day 2 camping out in the desert in a berber tent, and the last day driving through the Middle Atlas mountains onto Fés. I think what made our desert experience so great was because of Ali, he really took care of us and despite the long distance from Marrakech to the desert and then to Fés, we stopped to see so many things that it didn't feel like a long car ride. Ali talked the whole way tirelessly explaining every little detail, I felt bad at times when I would nod off because he was making so much of an effort and I really appreciated it as opposed to someone just driving you. The things we saw were amazing too. The snow covered High Atlas and Middle Atlas mountains, monkeys in the cedar forest, several Casbahs (the best being Aït Benhaddou) and Oases, and some impressive valleys like Todra Gorge. We couldn't have seen these places in the amount of time on our own, nor would we have dared driving through those scary roads at the High Atlas mountains. When we got to the desert, I couldn't believe my eyes. It looked like a painting! I took a bottle full of sand from the Sahara as a souvenir just to show friends how red the sand is. The night out was also quite amazing. Despite the cold weather I got a rug out next to the fire and lay down with 2 thick blankets on top of me and just stared at the stars for ages. Its just amazing how lit up the sky is when there are no lights. The tents themselves are very traditional except for the beds inside, but i appreciated this since i already lay on the sand next to fire and couldn't imagine doing that for the night. If anyone is ever considering a trip to Morocco don't just hang out in the big cities like Marrakesh or Fés, make the effort to see the desert it really is worth it! Weeks before this trip when I was in Thailand for xmas, I remember talking to some norwegian tourists in my hotel who told me how unremarkable their desert tour was and how uncomfortable the camel ride was but I have to say the camel ride did not feel uncomfortable at all. It was very well cushioned and I was on such a high during the 2 hr camel ride that by the time it ended i was like .. oh are we there already??

Visited January 2012
5 Thank pmdalvarez
Singapore River, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Beatiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

I can just stay there for weeks. Other than the scorching temperature, the scene is amazing

Visited October 2011
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Erg Chebbi dunes are fabulous and absolutely merit a visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

We visited the Sahara desert, while on holiday for a week in Morocco with Tours Of Peace. We will never forget the day we visited the enormous Erg Chebbi sand dunes. We rode camels out into the sand where we slept under Bedouin tent; the evening in the desert was wonderful, we sang, danced and drummed around a camp fire. The staff was Amazing, very friendly and nice, we felt very welcome and extremely comfortable.The next morning, our desert guide woke up us very earlier to watch sunrise and the ever changing colours of the dunes. After Breakfast, we rode camels back to the hotel for shower. The views were breathtaking all the way along. The dunes of erg chebbi are fabulous and absolutely merit a visit!

Thank you Youssef for our memorable visit to Sahara Desert!!! We can't say enough about you and our memorable experience! We would come back again & would definitely recommend Tours Of Peace to anyone & everyone!

Visited November 2011
13 Thank Kathy J
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Awesome desert experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2011

We stayed in the Kasbah Des Dunes - not in Uk guidebooks but we found it in a Japanese one. The owners are two brothers who are incredibly friendly and provide a fantastic service. They personally collected us from the bus stop, saving us from the onslaught of prospective guides, a great relief. They will also collect from Marrakech. Once in the charming hotel, in the village of Hassi Labied, a few kilometres north of Merzouga, we arranged our overnight desert trip.
This is an experience not to be missed; we were lucky to be just the two of us, with our charming young guide Mohammed who led the camels and cooked a delicius dinner for us, afterwards regaling us with Berber songs and tales of Nomad life. Seeing the desert so close up is absolutely incredible, and the night sky breathtaking. The following day we rode back to the village and went quad-biking in the dunes - great fun and a totally different way to enjoy them. All this was fuelled by some fantastic cooking from Yussif, one of the owners.
All in all, I would thouroughly recommend Kasbah des Dunes for any one wanting an authentic desert experience. They also organise longer desert trips, and I am sorely tempted...

Visited October 2011