Rose Noire
Le Berbere Palace(Ouarzazate)
Hanane Club(Ouarzazate)
  • Pool
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We were a bit disappointed with this hotel but I'll list the positive points first:

- funky decor (not really Moroccon, more like a film set - but kind of fun anyway).
- the owner was good enough to get up at 3:45 to take us to the airport (and his wife laid out a quick breakfast for us)
- fun location in the Kasbah (see my tip below for how to find it).
- they sent us to a nice restaurant (Kasbah des Etoiles) and the owner's wife was also good enough to walk us to this place through the Kasbah
- nice shower (after our stay in the Sahara).

The negative for me was:
- I had booked dinner with them and this information had been lost by them. In the end I was happy as we were not so hungry and dinner at Kasbah des Etoiles (think this was the name) was just fine.
- I had asked specifically for two beds as I was travelling with my son. The room had a magnificent double bed, and a rock-hard sofa thing in the corner that apparently was my son's bed. It seemed like a complete after thought (no pillow, pinkmuffin sheets - he slept on more comfortable beds in the middle of the Sahara).
- no communal area downstairs to relax (I don't like the feeling of being locked in my room when I'm at a hotel)
- and finally - caged birds in reception - not to my taste.

My tip on how to find the hotel:

WIth the Kasbah Taorit in front of you, head west on Mohammed V. Then take the first side road left. You go past a restaurant called "something..Amazinh". Head to the end of this side road towards a mosque with a stork's nest on top. If you have a car, you leave it here and enter by foot into the Kasbah. Head towards the mosque. With the mosque on your left hand side keep going through a kind of dark alley way. Follow this alley way around and it will lead you to the Rose Noire.

If you are going between 5 and 6pm in the evening, the passage ways are not lit yet and you might benefit from a torch. The people are very friendly around there and you can also ask any of the kids who are running around for "Rose Noire" and they will help you find it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank beaulieu65
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We selected this auberge because we wanted to be inside the walls of the medina, and to stay in a kasbah. The location is nearby a side entrance to the medina, which is accessible by taxi or car, and there is a sign pointing to the general direction of the auberge. We found the the owner and his wife to be hospitable. They arranged for us to get a tour around the medina from someone they knew who took us to a lunch location and then around the medina. Like so many other places in Morocco, though, this person (who we paid) then took us into shops for the shop owners to ask and quite forcefully ask us to buy their goods.
The room was nicely appointed and had a comfortable bed. The shower was a bit small (no tub).
The downfalls of Rose Noire are that the owners smoke and you can smell the cigarette smoke throughout the kasbah; right across the way is a family with small children and they are often outside on their terrace--alot of baby crying at various times throughout the day/night; similar to another posting, we noticed a very obvious mold smell in the water. The breakfast was decent; however, there were no other options offered to us other than the bread, jams and packaged yogurt they serve everyone. At other riads (that were less expensive) in Morocco where we stayed we were offered more variety in breakfast (omelettes, fresh fruit). The coffee was the worst coffee I drank in Morocco (couldn't finish the cup) and I think it was because of the water.
The confirmation we received indicated there would be bottled water available for us, but we didn't notice that until after we left, and it wasn't in the rooms, so I assume you must ask for it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This lovely hotel is really a rebuilt house in the Taureg Kasbah. Bernard has created a beautiful oasis where one can relax after a day of traveling into the Sahara desert or over the Atlas mountains. Our room #103, was an opulent example of beautiful authentic decor from the tile floors, hand woven carpets, wooden adornments and canopied bed. The bathroom has a lovely deep tub, great for soaking in after a long day of walking or traveling. The bed is very large and quite comfortable. The room even has its own sitting room and fireplace! The lobby is open and you can see up the three floors of the hotel. The ground floor is a great place to relax and be serenaded by Bernard's beautiful canaries. As he said to us, "This is your home," I must replay, "Indeed it was." We were treated with warmth and genuine hospitality by Bernard and his lovely wife and family. No need to go anywhere else!

Room Tip: Room #103 - fit for a sultan and sultana! Truly opulent and marvelously comfortable. We also stayed in room 202, which is lovely and comfortable as well. The rooms are beautifully appointed with authentic Moroccan furnishings.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2012

The desert oasis scenery around Ouarzazate is spellbinding and very worth the trip. One of the best viewpoints from which to relax and admire, is the rooftop terrace of Rose Noire, nestled in a quaint neighborhood of old mud-brick buildings.

The hotel is comfortable and very beautiful, containing an almost museum worthy collection of arts and crafts, old and new, and discarded movie props from some of the hollywood epics that were filmed on the local desert sets. The owners were charming and very helpful. I wish I could have stayed longer, and I hope to return someday.

My mother has had some trouble posting on the site and has asked me to include her comments here:

"We very much appreciated your lovely rooms and your museum-like common space and central location. I wish we had had time for more stories. Thank you for accommodating our early departure with the best breakfast we had in Morocco.

We wish you great success."

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I would encourage anyone to stay here. Lovely place and very helpful owners. We went to the desert and stayed here either side of it and it was perfect for that. Just what we wanted after a sleepless night in the sahara, rose noire's comfy beds and air conditioned rooms.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple