“5 star staff, pool and views” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kenzi Azghor

Kenzi Azghor
Ranked #35 of 40 Hotels in Ouarzazate
San Francisco, California
“5 star staff, pool and views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2011

We arrived in late November in the pouring rain and were immediately greeted with smiles and a welcoming staff. Since we couldn't go out exploring our first night we stayed in and sat in the lounge, by the fire, where the staff kept it blazing and even brought us snacks. "The Boss", the GM of the hotel, made sure we were happy, helped us get the information we needed for the next day re: transportation, and kept checking in on us to make sure we were ok. The buffet dinner was great as was the traditional Moroccan breakfast the next day. The next day we were welcomed with blue skies and one of the staff drew us a very accurate walking map of the area. The views from the pool deck are amazing. I wish it wasn't winter so we could have really enjoyed the beautiful pool and pool deck. I would love to come back here! As far as the rooms, they could use some updating and the pillows especially need to be replaced but other than that, the hotel was great, especially for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a vew.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Colombo, Sri Lanka
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

Stayed in 2009 _and_ 2011, which already says it's useful to us. Staff very friendly, and very nice setup: entrance with steps and flowers, big terrace overlooking the valley, nice pool. Restaurant a bit mixed: large buffets for dinner (when there are groups), buffet b'fast with limited choice when there is a group and set menu b'fast when not. The latter still delicious, with fresh baked Moroccan breads and juice.
Rooms are the big liability. Only ground floor ones have balconies, the higher floors not. In 2009 all was outdated and crammed (but beds decent). Now in 2011 the bathroom was fully renovated and modern, but the rest of the room is still shaky and needs quite a renovation. Currently worth about 2-3 stars, still a potential to regain the 4 stars.

Room Tip: Ground floor
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Agadir, Morocco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2010

I and a friend stayed at this hotel in October. Did not have any reservations for a hotel in Ouarzazat prior arrival and just decided to look for a nice place to stay once there after the drive from Marrakech through Tizi n techka mountain pass. The fun part is that Kenzi Azghor hotel was the first hotel I drove by in the hotel section of the city and did not want to check it out because of an earlier dissappointment in Marrakech with a different Kenzi hotel. After checking out a few hotels (some were too expensive, some others were full) I thought I'd check the Kenzi Azghor. Glad I did!! As a Moroccan, I was treated the same just all the other tourists and felt no difference. The parking lot guard took care of the car (for a tip of 10 Dh), and the concierge helped with the bags till he got them to the room for also the same tip, and although some might think those guys would not be as helpful next time because of the small tip, they only showed same hospitality and friendliness when we left and also again the second time we returned to the hotel. The reception staff were super helpful and answered all my questions back at the time (needed to know where the post office was plus some other enquiries) with a smile on their face.
The room was fantastic, very roomy and clean, and had a wonderful view of the mountains. I could lay on bed with the balcony open in the front and enjoy the scenery and breeze. Hot running water, clean bathroom and toilet, air-conditoning was working (although didn't need it but was just curious to see if it was functioning) plenty of toileteries, there was also a mini fridge and a safe, and tv and direct phone. All in all, a pretty room.
Next morning, we went down for breakfast, which was good by the way. Wide selection at the buffet to choose from, and got a table near the pool. I think I was the only Moroccan there with plenty of Germans if I remember correctly. The staff taking care of guests while having their breakfast were kind and friendly, and as I first walked in for breakfast, one of them even called me by my last name and asked if I had a good night's sleep and if I needed anything. That was so nice! I think maybe because I was the only Moroccan there, it was easy for the staff to distinguish me and even remember my last name, maybe, just a thought!
After return from Merzouga, we chose to stay at the same hotel again as we enjoyed our first stay there. We've only experienced same hospitality and friendly staff.
And on a side note, I only gave a 10 Dirham tip each time for the parking lot guard and doorman, and only 20 Dhs for one receptionist at the end of the stay, but I noticed that no matter how small a tip is, if you give it with a sincere thought of gratitude and kindness, it will be so much appreciated.
I would pick this hotel in a heart beat again if I needed a place to stay in Ouarzazate again. I hope they keep the same level of service and keep up the good work!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2010

They were fantastic! So welcoming and helpful. They made my stay there so enjoyable. Salam Abdul and Mohammed! ;)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Bologna
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

It was the one and only awful experience in our honeymoon trip in Morocco. This hotel is decadent, smelly, and the personel has treated us really bad. It's incredible that still has 4 stars!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alivedie

Travelers are raving about these Ouarzazate hotels

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2009

We were told this was a "4 star property" but it was probably awarded that star rating.... 20 years ago. Unfortunately not much else has changed since then either. The rooms and its bathrooms are a bit older and the lobby looks outdated. It's comfortable enough for a stop on the way to Merzouga or Marrakech if you're looking for amenities or lodging style different from a typical riad. The breakfast that was included was a mix of Western style with Moroccan breakfast, and was quite good. The room's heater and water pressure were both very satisfactory, both critical in the winter time.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
St Ives, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2008

The place was old and really in need of repair. One of our sliding glass doors fell out of the frame and we were afraid to stand on the balcony. The rooms are tiny and smelled. The front desk staff and the bar staff (all men) were rude and unhelpful. You had to beg for a second drink and they were very pricey. As Americans, we did enjoy the Moroccan lounge singer trying his best to do Kenny Rogers!! The buffet dinner and breakfast were just ok.

• Liked — The Moroccan Lounge Singer doing Kenny Rogers
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends