“Felt like I was visiting friends”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Riad Dar Barbara

Riad Dar Barbara
Ranked #14 of 60 Ouarzazate B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Ont
“Felt like I was visiting friends”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2011

I stayed at the Riad Dar Barbara for one night while passing through Ouarzazate. At first I was wondering where our driver was taking us because it is a little off the beaten path, but soon realized what a gem of a spot they have there. At the end of a dirt road appeared a beautiful and newly built riad in the traditional style at the edge of a palmerie.

We were welcomed straight away by the owner Hassan and his staff, who remembered my travelling companion from her stay there a year previous. We were very warmly greeted and immediately relieved of all our bags and shown to our room. It was large, well-kept, and very nicely decorated. Very clean as well.

We joined the other guests in the dining room and were set up with tea beside the fireplace, after which we were invited for drinks with other guests and a couple of neighbours who were visiting.

This place feels like home. The staff were incredibly friendly, and encouraged all at dinner to join in the fun -- singing and drumming in the Berber style. The atmosphere was more of dinner party than cold, anonymous hotel.

The food was excellent and plentiful, and the Moroccan wine was surprisingly good. This is one of the few places I stayed in Morocco that was alcohol friendly.

I would not hesitate to recommend this place to those looking for a warm, friendly, make-yourself-at-home experience. I would not recommend this place for those looking for anonymity and who want to be left to themselves -- this is a fun, genial, and very friendly place where you feel as if you are among friends.

I felt very safe and secure (as a single female).

After several days of travelling and staying in different places, I felt like I could relax here and only wished I could have stayed longer. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Redkestrel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2011

We did not plan to stay at Dar Barbara but were taken by our desert guide who suggested it. We haggled slightly on price but the for the price we paid the rooms were great - large rooms, large showers, good dinner and breakfast, warm log fire, and helpful staff. There was some noise at night but nothing which was out of the ordinary relative to the other hotels. I think it's great for a stopover but if you intend to stay longer in ouarzazate then perhaps might not be the best place to explore, given it seems to be slightly in the outskirts (then again I'm not sure you'd want to stay that long in ourzazate). You will need a taxi to get to the bus station, but the staff are very helpful and arranged a non-expensive taxi for us.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2011

I travel around Morocco since 2009 and from then always I have lodged in this pretty riad many times.

I am surprised by some comments I have read here, and for that reason I have been decided to explain my experience in the Riad Dar Barbara since I have recommended it to many friends of mine who have come back so happy as I arrived.

First of all, the personnel who works there are extremely kind. They are always willing to help you and to make your stay more comfortable. They are very respectful with the guests and very polite.

The cleaning of the rooms and all the riad in general is excellent - for me a tidy room is essential-.: All is perfectly tidied up: clean towels, large rooms (all with views to the outside), clean carpets, ...

Food is very good and the best option is to feel the suggestions of the waiter who serves you, that will assure you that everything comes from “his mother’s experience”. Come from where it comes, the food is delicious and abundant. Some nights, if the good atmosphere of the guests allows it, there is a music evening (live), while you are dinning or after-dinner conversation. They makes you want to get up and dance when it sounds the percussion! When finishing, you can stay with the players while they tell you some stories of Morocco or philosophizing about the life. If you don’t fancy that, you can go to sleep early since , surely, on the following day a hard day is waiting you on the road to visit Zagora, Les Gorges or the Valley of the Roses.

I recommended and I will recommend this hotel without doubts since my experience is highly satisfactory. It’s not easy to feel like home when you are traveling abroad, but in this read, I got it!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
9 Thank JUDITH15-11
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2011

Hidden from the center of Ouarzazate we found this beautiful riad in the zone of Tajda, the land of rugby as they said.

This is a quiet zone,near the palm fields and with spectacular views of the Atlas mountains (from the terrace you have a panorama of 360ºC from Ouarzazate and outskirts.

The riad is cozy, with typical moroccan decoration and a 'chic' touch. The colours are mixed with exquisite taste and create a relaxing atmosphere.We use the room upstairs, in the terrace, and we enjoy the view of the stars at night (when cold nights leave us to stay out of the room!!).

My friends and us enjoyed the 4 days we stayed, dinner was superb (these were one of best tajines we found in our trip around Morocco). The staff were very kind and help us preparing our next route to the south and we get fun playing music with them.

Next time we'll come back to Morocco, we are sure to stay one again in this riad.

Thank you very much to all the staff to make us easier our stay in Morocco, one of the most beautiful countries we visited ever.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank Amina21
Truro, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2011

I cannot speak highly enough of the welcome extended to my friends and I by all the staff at this beautifully furnished riad nestling peacefully by the palmery overlooking Ouarzazate and the distant High Atlas. The evenings were far from peaceful as the aforesaid staff entertained all guests until the early hours with traditional song and not-so-traditional dance with unfeigned enjoyment and infinite energy next to a blazing log fire. Food and service excellent. Breakfast particularly enjoyable on sunny terrace. Rooms airy bright and colourful. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank sahara49
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2011

This is a very friendly and beautifully decorated Riad.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Byron Bay, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2010

Very nice Riad. Great location, quiet, overlooking palm groves and away from the main drag. The friendly staff were attentive to the extreme. Good food, interesting decor - mix of Moroccan with a touch of English, excellent value rooms and beautiful roof top with lovely night views of Ouarzazate. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple