“A wonderful quiet haven”
Review of Hotel Nomad Palace

and 1 more site!
Hotel Nomad Palace
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Merzouga
Wells Somerset England
“A wonderful quiet haven”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Having travelled and lived in Morocco, I really appreciate this beautiful place on the edge of the dunes. Ali is a charming and helpful host, the staff give wonderful service, our room was lovely - good hot shower and heating on cold December evenings. Breakfast is excellent, on a help-yourself-to-all-you-can-eat basis with lots of variety, dinners are good and we had excellent tagine and brochettes on our two night stay.
This time I did not spend the night in the dunes, but have done so in the past, and it is a good encampment and I do like riding the camel out to the bivouac!
I highly recommend this place, especially if you want peace and quiet as there are not lots of other hotels nearby as with some of the places in this area - this one is separate and greatly benefits from standing alone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank SeagullHouse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I'd planned to stay at Hotel Nomad Palace during November 2012, but fell ill in Marrakesh and wasn't well enough to travel. I informed the hotel on the day of my supposed arrival, and the owner was good enough not to charge me for the room and trek I'd booked - even though he would have been well within his rights to do so. While I can't rate the accommodation, I did appreciate the gesture and the clear communication on how to deal with the booking agency to ensure that I didn't get charged.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 10, 2012

What realy marked my stay there was the excellence food we had me and Julie my girl friend....Thanks to Morocco Dunes Tours organisation we had such apportunity to share nice memories with this team...thanks Nomad Palace team and Thanks Hamid for bringing us there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alex V
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed one night at the Nomad Palace itself, and one night in the hotels Berber tent enclave in the nearby desert dunes. Our visit was part of a small tour, and every detail was pre-arranged and well planned.

The hotel is in a classic mud-wall building, which truly gives you a feeling of local construction. But the grounds are well kept, the room was spacious, and the staff were attentive. For us, having a clean room, a clean hot shower, and working air conditioning were important to make us feel comfortable, and we got those things. When we arrived our first night, a band of local musicians entertained us before and during dinner.

We had one dinner, two breakfasts, and one lunch at the hotel and all were simple, hearty meals. The dinner in particular was delicious...a simple meat tangine.

On the afternoon of the second day, we hopped on the hotels camels and took a 30min ride out across the dunes as the sun set. Truly a fun experience after you get used to riding on a hump :) The tent enclave was simple, but comfortable. These are not five-star accommodations...these are traditional tent accommodations...and we went in with that expectation. The food was wonderful, and the starry skies were amazing. As you might expect, the toilet arrangement was quite simple and not something you would want to live with long-term. But since we returned to the hotel in the morning to shower, a simple toilet was all we needed.

One small irritant, which I'm certain is the case in all of these similar hotels, is that multiple employees did pull us aside and ask us to buy little trinkets to give them additional income. They didn't push it, but its awkward. Still, this is fairly common from my limited experience in Morocco, and a firm "no thank you" ends the conversation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank BullbunkySF
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We have just got back from an off roading holiday with Protrax (also recommended!!) after camping coming to Nomad Palace was really welcome, and it didn't disapoint! We were made to feel very welcome, the rooms were of an excellent standard as was the food. The dunes are brilliant to explore. Ali was also very helpful in pointing us in the right direction to get a rather nice table!! Would stay here again and recommend it, especially if off roading is your thing. Highly recomend the camel trip to the nomad tents where you can stay over night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Midlands
Reviewed October 16, 2012

A friend and I stayed at the Nomad Palace as part of a 5 day tour and it was one of the highlights of our trip to Morocco.

The hotel has a wonderful location on the edge of the desert, where we spent most evenings with a bottle of wine on our favourite sand dune watching the camels trek out and the sun go down, just amazing and so peaceful.

The owner Ali and all of his staff ensure your stay is as wonderful as possible and all make you feel so welcome. We could not fault anything from our wonderful room to Mohammed the waiter ensuring we had food and drinks whenever we wanted, Yassin ensuring I had coffee 24hrs a day (i think he'd guessed i was a bit of a caffeine freak) and the chef with his wonderful cooking especially his baked aubergines in salads, to little Mohammed who just kept us entertained with his cheeky smile.

Most evenings the staff and tour guides would play the drums and sing which is just brilliant. One night i went for a walk with Ali the owner out on the dunes where we sat and chatted about many topics, when my feet got cold he dug a hole in the sand and put my feet in it, it was like putting my feet into a hot bath....amazing!

Highly recommend this hotel on the edge of the dunes....its fantastic and we hope to go back there soon. :-)

Tip: You cannot buy alcohol at the hotel as with many hotels in Morocco, however you can buy fantastic wine produced in Meknes down in Merzouga and Ali does not mind you taking it into the hotel to drink.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We had a fantastic time at the Nomad Palace. It was July and it was HOT but don't let that put you off because it was a bearable heat. The hotel has plenty of space to relax and cool off and extremely helpful staff. In fact I'd add that the hotel is magical, especially at night. We took Ali's camel trek into the desert and stayed at his encampment - just the two of us and a guide and cook. Believe it or not, it rained which was something of a surprise to the guide but we're British and didn't let that put us off! We were soaked to the skin as we rode and dry ten minutes later due to the sunshine. Ali also sent us off in a landrover to a nomad encampment which was interesting but I think the highliight was the hotel and meeting Ali himself. He is passionate about the desert, Morocco and his hotel and will do his utmost to make your stay memorable and comfortable.
I'd add that we are no youngsters and did wonder whether this was for us. We bussed around Morocco in an informal manner and found all the hotels helpful and reliable - Morocco has excellent mobile phone coverage - even in the desert. The Nomad Palace staff were a great help in assisting us in picking our subsequent hotels and even phoned them to make a booking on our behalf. We had a fantastic time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple