New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“A truly humbling experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chez les Habitants

Chez les Habitants
“A truly humbling experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014

My family and boyfriend had stayed with Ahmed and his family a month earlier and shared that it would be a truly humbling experience, but I didn't realize just how at home I would feel. Ahmed's a wise and caring individual with a beautiful family that will make you feel like special guests rather than tourists. My boyfriend and I cannot wait to visit them all again and feel the magic we felt laying under a blanket of stars in the Sahara!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank J H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

To be in the desert in the hands of an experienced and caring person as Ahmed, is a blessing. Very welcoming family atmosphere, warm acceptance, beautiful house, a place that I would love to go back to, and stay longer than just a night. Ahmed is always responding fast to emails and phone calls, very accessible, helpful and conscientious. The fact that he has provided the GPS coordinates of his place on his web page, made it easy for us to find him (because when you ask locally for directions many people will try to send you to another place to steal the business). The night at the desert was a fantastic experience and Ahmed made sure all our needs are met with excellent food, plenty of water and a sweet camp atmosphere. The attention we received was truly memorable in addition to the time we had to explore the dunes at sunset and sunrise. Thank you to your family and everyone caring for the camels!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Margarita T
Port Hope, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

After much research we chose Quiet Merzouga and Chez les Habitants for our much anticipated visit to the desert. This was the perfect choice for us. Ahmed and his family are the warmest most welcoming hosts possible. We felt as if we were invited family guests, not paying tourists. Our rooms were spotless, showers hot & the atmosphere...perfect! We enjoyed spending our time with all the members of his family, sharing meals together and some great conversations. For an authentic experience you will not forget, do not hesitate to book with Ahmed. Hugs to all and much happiness. Thanks from our family to yours!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank J H
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

From the first email contact I had with Ahmed, he was warm and welcoming which was exactly how he greeted us from the bus. His family were also very caring and ensured that we were well fed and had plenty of water for our camel trek. Our Sahara Desert experience was everything that we imagined. Huge dunes of golden sand, Berber pizza, friendly hospitality and a host who wanted us to have the best time possible. Thanks Ahmed...we'll never forget these couple of days and never forget you. Best wishes to you and all the family. Thanks!

Room Tip: Ahmed's family home is a authentic Berber house that was clean, comfortable and cool during the...
Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LPDave2014
Andorra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014

We had a perfect stay in Ahmed house. The place is perfect, you feel like at home. You can walk to the dunes from the house. Ahmed helped us with everything, always carring about us. He gave us his heart during all the stay. We had the great opportunity to share time with Ahmed family (delicious tajine) and we will never forget conversations with Ahmed: he is such a good person. For sure, the most authentic place to stay in Merzouga. We will be back. Thank you Ahmed & family!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank r8freeman
Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

I had a dream to go to the Sahara desert from my younger years. And at last I made it. Everything was more than expected.

Ahmed listens to what his guests really want to do in the desert and makes a plan.

Breathtaking scenery of the great Erg chebbi dunes, camel ride and trekking to the border town, wonderful nights in the tent in the dunes, sound of wind, silence, stars, sometimes sandstorms...
Every moment was priceless.

But best of all, the days in Chez les Habitants with Ahmed and his family. I can never thank you enough. I'll be back. I always hope you all are happy.

And also thank you very very much to whom I met in Chez les Habitants and tent in the dunes. Wonderful berber people and travelers.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
6 Thank masa_traveler
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

女一人旅で利用しました。以前宿泊された方の話を聞いてはいたのですが、やはり砂漠で一人は不安でした。しかし本当に居心地が良くて、前日夜入り、Said君とマンツーマンの2泊3日の砂漠ツアー(アルジェリアとの国境付近まで行きました)、翌日追加でホテルに1泊滞在しました。

ラクダ、ベルベルピザ、星空の下のテント...イメージしてた砂漠体験がそのまま現実となりました。メルズーガ発着バスの送迎、熱いシャワー、綺麗な部屋は申し分ありません。でもそれ以上にAhmed氏のホスピタリティに心動かされました!!ホテル滞在の際には家族と一緒に食事をしたので、ベルベル人家族を直に知ることができました。優しくてとても楽しい家族です。

夜に出歩くとメルズーガの街の明かりが煌々としているのが見えますが、このティハリエ村は直ぐ隣村にも関わらず夜は静まり返っています。遥々遠くまで来るのですから、喧騒から離れて是非砂漠を独り占めして下さい!また来ます!

I was organized 2 nights 3 days trekking in the desert and I stayed 2 nights at the hotel. I am a woman traveling alone, so I was a little worry about staying in the desert. But everything was sooooo great!! Camel riding, Berber dishes, sleeping in the tent under the stars.. These are what I expected in advance. Picking me up at the bus stop in Merzouga, hot shower, clean room are nice. But more, I was impressed in Ahmed's hospitality! I ate dishes with his family, so I could feel the natural Berber life. They are very kind, funny and amazing!!
In the night, I saw brilliant light of Merzouga. But at Tiharien here, it's very quiet and dark. Don't be hurry in your trip and feel your slow emotion with them!!

• Stayed May 2014