“Great desert retreat” 5 of 5 bubbles

Riad Mamouche
Ranked #7 of 83 Merzouga B&B and Inns
“Great desert retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

After driving all day from Fes we didn't know what to expect, but we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived. Large clean rooms with an enormous bed. The roof terrace overlooking the dunes is amazing. We booked a night in the desert too which was also brilliant.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JoeyjoejoeshabadooJr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Thai first
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

We visited this Riad in winter but it would be even better in spring or autumn when you can sit outside and use the pool.

The Riad is in Merzouga village which is a quaint village on the edge of the Sahara Desert, it has a very good souvenir shop and some great picture opportunities including the big Erg Chebi sand dune which can also be seen from the Riad terrace.

The room was large and well heated, the bed was rock hard but surprisingly it gave us the best sleep so far on our holiday!!

Dinner was served in front of a log fire with good ambiance but the meal was very ordinary. We were allowed to bring wine which was a bonus. Breakfast was fantastic served in the same room.

To be adjacent to the sand dune and on the edge of the village it was a great place to stay.

Room Tip: No rooms have a view and all seem the same size
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JA_travel_food
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

I loved our stay at this riad. IT has a wonderful terrace with great views of the dunes where the staff is more than happy to serve you breakfast and tea. The rooms are very comfortable with heating and hot showers. But for me, the most unforgettable thing about this riad are the lovely people. The staff here is so friendly and kind. We were treated to an impromptu music experience with everyone from the manager to the guy who served us dinner getting together and playing the drums and berber music. IT made for an absolutely unforgettable experience and this is exactly the place where I will go back to stay on future visits. I was sorry that I was not staying longer at this lovely riad.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

I took a two week holiday in Morocco and stayed in many places while travelling and have to say that Riad Mamouche was the best place I stayed at for my whole trip. I was on the phone with the Riad a few days beforehand to make special arrangements prior to my arrival. The staff were amazing and made my stay worth remembering. The food was also brilliant. I have to say that the price I paid for two nights and an additional meal with drinks (Approx Dh700) throughout the stay was a bargain for the sort of hospitality I received. Thank you for a great stay and I'm sure I will be back soon!

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Keith L
Erfoud, Morocco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

What a fantastic stay!! during our three day in Merzouga Erg Chebbi. Wonderful Hotel and Clean, amazing food, and the excellent king size beds. The manager is an extremely cordial "Hassan", and gave us a good idea about the region. When we went for and excursion to discover the Berber hospitality,
One memorable night, it was the right place to forget about the tiredness and the stress In calm Sahara desert, after shower in a very clean and tidy bathroom with a high quality showering amenities, went for a deep sleep as am home in a very comfortable king size bed...after refreshment I had a Berber Delicious dinner with an outstanding service. I was treated well like anything, woke up next day on time thanks for preparing my fabulous breakfast which is a new discovering cuisine for me.
Overall, it is a nice place; Wish to go back there again.

I recommended highly Riad Mamouche to anyone who want to experience the wonder desert.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank peacetrips
Santa Monica, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Otman, Hamid and the rest of the staff were friendly and helpful throughout our stay, even anticipating our needs, picking us up from the bus station at 6 am and bringing us back at 7:15 am, setting up our dromedary trip into the desert (the highlight of our stay in Morocco!) and helping us with bus tickets. Lovely pool and beautiful views of the dunes.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Guernsey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

This was the 3rd place we stayed at during a 10 night trip to Morocco. It was way below the standard of the other two. To be fair it less £ as well so you do pay for what you get. On the positive the supper was good. On the negative our room smelt like a sewer when we arrived and it took a lot of chemicals being put down drains and open windows before we could use the room. Not great after a long drive with young children. It was a good 90mins before we got into our room - 7pm. Then after dinner we discovered ants in our beds and were advised to spray the room - so we had to again leave the room before returning to play hunt the dead
ant. Little irritants - no handsoap in the communal loos so handwashing out. Shame as we were expecting at least the basics. Noisy and backpacker standard. I'd recommended paying a wee bit more and staying elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013