“Lovely Riad, good value great for relaxing.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Riad Baraka

Riad Baraka
Ranked #6 of 55 Chefchaouen B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Riad, good value great for relaxing.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Location is good. Stunning roof terrace with 3 tiers, amazing views and a conservatory with TV and loads of DVDs. Really clean and tidy with beautiful decor and a calm atmosphere. The owner was helpful over email prior to arrival as we had changed our plans and dates. We didn't get to meet them as they were on holidays but the guy sitting in was really nice and always around when we needed anything. The rooms aren't massive (our room anyway) but for the money you pay you cannot complain at all. Highly recommended and would definitely go back.

1 Thank Alison D
joechaouen, Owner at Riad Baraka, responded to this review, February 10, 2016
Thank you we pride ourselves on a clean and well run Bararaka thank you from the whole Baraka Team cheers joe

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reigate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

My girlfriend and I relocated to this hotel after an appalling night in one of the other hostels in Chefchaouen. At first we thought we'd struck gold, the Riad was pretty central, easy to find and had an amazing rooftop terrace, whilst the room was clean with an en suite. The British owners, Joe and Anne, seemed like a refreshing change from the scammers who had acted as proprietors in the hotel of the night before. However, the owners' tone changed over the course of our stay and by the end we were left feeling quite uncomfortable, with some of our simplest questions about what to do with the rest of our stay in Morocco being brutally shot down by Joe. I would only advise staying here if you're not overly thin-skinned. Also, the price was nothing special for the smallish room that we got.

1 Thank Alex D
joechaouen, Owner at Riad Baraka, responded to this review, February 11, 2016
ThAnks for your compliments on the Baraka and the reason I I shot down your travel sugestions they were totally unrealistic yet you would counter with we met a guy on the street who said.... I had your best interested at heart not commission I am sorry you were offended ,to tell you the truth Im offended you so easy offend end cheers joe
Hamburg, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Can't beat the value of this place. Great location in the medina. The riad was completely renovated and very clean. Good working wifi internet in the rooms. The rooftop terrace is stunning, and a great place to hang out.
After reading some of the negative reviews of the English hosts on TripAdvisors, and being warned by some other travellers prior to our arrival, we tried to minimize the communication with them. We definitely got a few borderline rude remarks by Joe's mother, like 'I already explained this to you', and 'the place is very easy to find, you just don't read the directions I gave you'. They are moody, and don't hide it, that's all. Didn't bother us that much during our two night stay. The place is otherwise nice, and the value can't be beaten.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mrlesque
joechaouen, Owner at Riad Baraka, responded to this review, February 11, 2016
Thank you for complementing the place and the value we provide and I'm sorry we didn't get on but ewevlikevany body can have better days than others as you will read in the vast majority of reviews we go out of our way to help with what ever people need cheers Joe
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Although the hostel is clean, the owner and his mother are perhaps the most impolite and rude people i've ever met. The room was ready only half an hour after we arrived and there were some staff guys making lots of noise right outside our room . Next morning, after a rude explanation about their breakfast, we tried unsuccessfully to find something in the street. We then returned to the hostel after a 10min walk, but were refused to be served because the mother was ironing. Check out was also messy with the owners being very rude again. Not nice at all, wouldn't recommend.

29 Thank Pedro F
joechaouen, Owner at Riad Baraka, responded to this review, February 11, 2016
We had the 8 Romes checkout and between the end of Breakfast and check in we have 90 'minutes to turn them around and unfortunately your room was 30 minutes late I offerd to put your luggage into ,your room while you take a tea on the terrace in stead you wanted a detailed account of why your room wasn't ready I gave you an explanation but it wasn't good enough, so your attitude was met with mine and as for the racket out side your room a socket was changed(10)minutes. As for breakfast you were offerd but you had great joy in letting us know you were going so where else mc then returned long after Bteakfast had finished.so we had to get on with the room because we know how up set people get if theirs rooms are ready. Please Me see Return
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed at Riad Baraka for two nights in September 2012.

Upon arrival, I found this a gorgeous little hotel, very clean and well decorated. It has a wonderful rooftop where you can enjoy stunning views of Chef. However, my living there was quickly made unbearable by the owners, who are without question the rudest people I met during my month-plus travels throughout Morocco.

From the moment I entered the hotel I was treated as if I was late showing up for work rather than a welcomed paying guest. At check-in, I was made to wait over 20mins for no apparent reason and my key was literally thrown at me. Over the next two days, my simple requests for toilet paper or whether there would be hot water for coffee were met with derogatory and dismissive comments like “tell the queen there will be coffee soon. “

When I eventually objected to management’s rude, unaccommodating behavior and asked to be treated with respect as a paying customer, I was screamed at and told “this is my house and I will do as I please. Get out of here”. Even though I had paid for another night, I was tired of all the disrespect & discomfort I had received, endured and witnessed --swearing at employees, constant smoking of cigarettes in dining areas despite requests from guests not to, etc.—and so I took my refund and thankfully went to stay elsewhere.

Fortunately, there are many other wonderful riads in the same area of Chef. So, unless you want to spend your money for the apparent privilege of being abused in return, I wholeheartedly urge and compel you to choose a different place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
32 Thank Elena L
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

This stylishy decorated riad was the place we felt most at home in Morocco. Located in the blue walled medina of an accessible little mountain town, within walking distance from everything, rooms are small but pretty. There are amazing views from the roof tops, and several pleasant public areas to relax, read books or watch DVDs. We extended our stay as we felt so comfortable. The British proprietors were informative, helpful and keep the place running very efficiently. The place is immaculately clean - even floor rugs are regularly washed - and well heated in the winter months when we visited. This is very reassuring in Morocco where conditions can often be basic and unhygienic. As a B&B, there is no on-site cafe, but drinks can be bought from the rooftop fridge as you watch the sunset, and there is even an occasional barbecue. A wide choice of inexpensive restaurants are a few minutes away. This is the one place in Morocco I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to those wanting to avoid impersonal hotels for a more relaxed, intimate experience, while still experiencing an exotic Moroccan medina at very reasonable cost.

Room Tip: Rooms are small but thoughtfully decorated, choose one with ensuite bathroom if you don't want t...