“More than welcome!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Chefchaouen
Lisbon, Portugal
“More than welcome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Very nice riad, the rooms are good and the common areas are quite pleasant the views are amazing. We've stayed for almost a week, Ben and Izza (and family) are just perfect hosts and make you feel at home, always available to help. I must single out the restaurant, we tried several (well rated) other restaurants in chefchaouen and we were satisfied, but they are not even near of Izza's cooking, trust me, it is the best meal in town.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CarlosTeixeira

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
buenos aires
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

If it would be marketed as a budget hotel I would give it a good rating, but it was sold to me as a boutique hotel. If it hadn't been for the great manager they have I would have left right away. He helped me in everything , took excellent care of all my requests an was more than polite . However, the room was cold, poorly lit, the breakfast Terrible,no tv, no lunch or snacks, very precarious.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mistery s
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed at Dar Gabriel for nearly a week last July and loved it! The rooms are quaint and clean. The location is quiet and easy to find. Ben (the manager) is absolutely amazing! I have been to many places and I don't think I have ever felt so welcome. Ben and his family not only made me feel right at home but a part of their family. I enjoyed my stay tremendously and would not hesitate to return and stay with them again. Besides, Chefchaouen was one of my favorite places in all of Morocco.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank vagabloke
Agoura, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

I am at Dar Gabriel as I write this, and feeling at home in every way. Hosts Ben and Izza make wonderful meals, served kindly; Ben gives good tourist advice and their children are polite and sweet. It feels like staying with a real Berber family... which you are. My room is elegantly furnished, clean and just a few steps from two spectacular roof terraces.

A complaint I read in an earlier review, the lack of good reading light, has been solved with high-intensity goose-neck lamps over each bed. I would enjoy a small heater in the room, rather than the wall-mounted "warm panel" electric heater, which does not throw out much heat -- but for most of the year, this wouldn't be a problem.

I am very happy here and would recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: I love my rooftop room. Being able to step out and look over the town and up at the thick stars is...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank agouraserene
St. Louis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Our rooms, though quite small, were charming and very clean. The breakfast was delicious, too. Our host, Ben, couldn't have been nicer. He gave us great recommendations and made sure we enjoyed our visit to Chefchaouen.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ann M
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed at this dar for 2 nights and had a wonderful stay. Penny, one of the owners, was very quick to respond to emails. Payment of the deposit was convenient and quick through Paypal. Penny arranged our taxi pick-up from Tangier for 60 euros. It was great to see our taxi driver right after we got out of customs. He waited patiently for us to withdraw money at an ATM and buy some water before leaving. After a long trip from Phoenix, AZ through Atlanta and Madrid it was a relief to have hassle-free transport to Chefchaouen.

Ben greeted us at the parking lot outside of Bab Souk. Though it's very easy to find the dar from Bab Souk (just follow the directions on the website - left after the gate then first left), it was nice to have a friendly face greet us after the long trip.

The dar is charming. We stayed in Titrit, which is a spacious room and a small balcony. You do have to go up stairs quite a bit (there is no lift), so let Penny know if you have mobility problems so she can recommend a suitable room for you. The shower had good water pressure; only problem is there is no curtain so the floor gets quite wet. There is no airconditioning but a fan is provided. The dar has windows to outside so it can get pretty noisy - I suggest taking ear plugs. I slept very well with ear plugs on. Wifi is available; there is no signal in the room, but it worked well when I went to the lounge.

Ben's family runs the dar. His wife is the cook and the dinner that we ate there was delicious. His daughter speaks English and was a big help when Ben wasn't around. Ben speaks French and some English. With my husband's little bit of French, we had no problems communicating. The whole family made us feel welcome and nothing seemed to be too much trouble.

Chefchaouen is a lovely town - so peaceful compared to Fes and Marrakesh. I highly recommend a visit here and if you do, stay in Dar Gabriel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Teresa S
Alice Springs, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Chefchaouen & Dar Gabriel was our first stop in a 3 week self-drive tour of Morocco. We arrived extremely late due to huge issues picking up our hire car in Tangier-Med Port (beware hiring a car in Morocco). Ben still managed a huge welcome with a big smile, despite the late hour. He was even still able to find us a place to have dinner. The Riad was wonderful but don't expect 5 star hotel. The firmness of the beds was something we have come to expect after our 3 weeks in Spain. This Riad is truly Moroccan in a superbly rustic way, perfect for us. The loss of water services during the night just added to the charm. Nothing was too much trouble for Ben, and his amazing hospitality made us wish we were able to stay longer. If staying at the Riad, follow the directions given upon booking to the T, and you will have no problems finding your way. Be prepared though, for the hectic nature of the Medina alleyways & the chaotic parking situation. You also have to be prepared to pay the parking 'Guardian', and trust him with your car keys (a little confronting on our first night in Morocco). This small blue village will charm you regardless of these quirks and leave you wanting to stay longer - one night was definitely not enough, especially considering our late arrival. We left confident that if we had longer, Ben would have gone out of his way to ensure we experienced everything Chefchaouen has to offer, with his 'our home is your home' mantra.

Room Tip: As a group of four, the two upstairs terrace rooms were perfect. It felt like the terrace and its l...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends