“Mostly Good”

Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Chefchaouen
Banff, Canada
“Mostly Good”
Reviewed May 2, 2012

We spent our first two days in Morocco in Chefchaouen at Dar Gabriel so this was our introduction to Moroccan culture. Very interesting medina and convenient location of the dar just inside Bab Suk. Unfortunately it rained off and on throughout our stay but we tried to make the best of it. The dar itself is nice with a traditional inner open courtyard but that made it cold and damp and we wore our coats inside as did the staff. We also lacked good lighting in our room so had to use flashlights to read even in the daytime. However some of that was due to the fact the wooden shutters had to be closed round-the-clock to keep the minimal heat from the wall heater from escaping. We did not use the rooftop terrace and our original room was to be on that level. With the rain that was not a very attractive choice. No doubt if the weather had been warm and sunny our experience would have been different.

The manager was excellent - very friendly and helpful. The day before our departure he went personally to the bus station to buy our tickets to our next destination. Buses quickly fill to capacity so this guaranteed our seats. He also walked with us to the taxi stand and helped us get a petit taxi to the station the next morning. Throughout our stay he made sure we were as comfortable as possible and even lent my husband a much welcome and warm djellabah - long Berber tunic/robe. However, we did have to ask staff for dry towels and toilet paper since our room was never serviced.

We had our two evening meals in the dar - and these were excellent. Breakfast was good as well and this is included in the room price.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Oakleyan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Billingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights and overall our stay was a pleasant one. Ben the manager is a really nice guy and goes out of his way to help you. The evening meals were really tasty and the breakfasts were a typical Moroccan mix of bread, pancakes, juice etc. If I had one negative point it would be that the rooms didn't have an authentic Moroccan feel to them, but they were still of a good standard. Overall this is a lovely place to stay and would recommend it...

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Hopkid
Belleville, Canada
Reviewed April 12, 2012

If you stay here you MUST stay for dinner. After our first dinner we chose not to go out the second night because it was sooo good! The only pitfall is that there is only one scheduled dinner time (you do not get to choose...breakfast however was anytime). Dinner was communal style so we ate with some of the other Riad guests, which was a nice way to meet people. Food was the best...not because it was exotic, just that it was flavourful and well prepared.

Ben was the only other positive part of this stay. He was most helpful and informative. He even spend some time showing us some arabic letters, etc. Thank you Ben!

As for the rest of the Riad. Sadly we found the other staff to be inattentive and slightly dismissive and I dare say rude. Upon arrival we were greeted rudely and attempted to be placed in the wrong room (booked two beds but tried to set us up in a room without this). Our room was basic, and was not serviced at all (had to request basic items like toilet paper and towels...twice!). Room was dimly light (so much so that we couldn't read in the room). It was raining while we were there and the entire Riad was COLD and very damp. The heater in the room provided minimal heat.

Location was perfect.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank TravellingBenoit
dargabriel, Owner at Dar Gabriel, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
Thank you so much for your review, it's great to have guests who can give us feed back.
As I write we are installing new IKEA lights into each bedroom, so reading in bed is an easier option., we bought them in Malaga only yesterday.
It is raining, and the woodburner is lit, and it is warm and cosy...
I am not sure what happened with the staff, they are are actually very shy - Ikram, the receptioinist is a qualified massuese, and I am about to have a hot oil massage (for women only) - will report how it was on our owners page.
from Penelope Hogg - owner
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Dar Gabriel for two nights in March. The riad is very pretty and clean throughout and the room we were allocated was lovely but the lighting was a bit dim, though that would be my only complaint. The rooftop is a great place to relax and soak up some sun and the views of the medina are great.Ben was a superb host and treated us very well and his wife's cooking was deicious, 3 courses for only 7 euro's made it excellent value for money. Breakfast is ok, traditional Moroccan. If I ever visit Chefchaouen again I would stay here for sure.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tania L
Rabat
Reviewed March 30, 2012

The Riad is lovely, clean, and welcoming. It has a cosy and inviting feel. Yes, as mentioned by some, the rooms are a little on the small side (but in no way tiny or stuffy). However, there are indoor salons, a roof-top patio, and a shaded roof-top alcove for resting and relaxing. This is not a place where you need to spend your time locked away in your room; there are many comfortable locations to spread out. The staff is amazingly friendly. While they don't all speak English, they go out of their way to ensure that your needs are taken care of.

Very seldom do I tend to eat at the riads or hotels ... this is the exception!!! You will be drawn in by the smell of the kitchen. Tahir Shah said "Moroccan food tends to be as inferior in restaurants as it is superior in the home." This is superior home-cooking at its best.

And if a wonderful stay wasn't enough, Ben is a kind and caring man who goes above and beyond to ensure that his guests are taken care of. I sprained my knee while on a hike. I was traveling alone and worried about how I would be able to get me and my car back to Rabat. Without even thinking about it, Ben offered to drive the 5 hours to Rabat (which would have then left him with a 7 hour bus ride home). I was able to find friends in the area who were helped me. But through it all Ben was relaxed and genuine with his offer.

I know I will be back in Chefchaouen again ... and I won't even consider staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: I had a room on the roof ... and I'd ask for it again.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank charli246
Barreiro, Portugal
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Dar Gabriel is a very beautiful house and Ben and his family treated me very well since the moment I arrived. I found the breakfast very good and the Hotel is very well located, 50m from Bab Souk.

You can find some cheaper places in Chefchaouen, but I'm sure you won't get so well treated as in Dar Gabriel!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank miguelgrh
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Beautifully decorated Riad with an exceptionally friendly and humourous host. We spent our very first two nights in Morocco there and it hardly gets better than this. The room was on the smaller side but comfortable. We stayed in one of the roof terrace rooms, from where you can enjoy spectacular views across the beautiful city and the surrounding mountains. The food was another highlight and Ben provided great entertainment and helped us learn Moroccan Arabic bzien bzef - makayin mooshkin!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family