“Not very clean and no climatization on winter” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Madrid

Hotel Madrid
Ranked #22 of 55 Chefchaouen B&B and Inns
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Not very clean and no climatization on winter”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

I was there december 2011 with my 80 years old mother. It was a mistake. The place is a little far from the mais square, not very clean, therrible bathrooms and is not climatized.

I would say there is a hotel at the main square called Parador ( if I am not mistaken) that would have been much better although I heard there is no good place to stay in Chaouen.

Still, if you are young and want a -more or less- proper place and cheap... go for it. They serve breakfast and there is wi fi for free.

Room Tip: At the first floor you may get free wi fi at your room.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Korean first
McDonough, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2011

I stayed here my first night in Chefchaouen. The room I was in was a little too pink for my taste. The staff was not very helpful. The breakfast was not bad. I found another place to stay for my second night. Don't get me wrong. Hotel Madrid is not a bad place to stay but there are better options in Chef. If you are in a pinch it will do.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank rtbank75
Porto, Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

It's my second time there. the location is nice, just 5 or 10 minutes walking from the main square. You do have to climb some stairs to go to your room but apart from that it's all good. Will probably stay there next time. Only downside is that it does not have wifi.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

This is a very beautiful hotel. The location is good, and the staff were very nice and helpful. I wasn't sure about the bus timetable and the staff just gave me all the info I needed. I tipped him but he didn't take it and said he just wanted to help. This was very impressive, especially when you are in a country that everyone try to make money from tourists. And it has wifi!! I was in love with this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Milano
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

We choose this hotel because of the positive review on the Petit Futé guide. This hotel is clean and quite comfortable, that is exactly what you expect from a budget hotel in Morocco. The hotel has a beautiful Moroccan dining hall, with wooden, painted ceiling and comfortable sofas. The rooms are furnished with canopy beds and they are not featureless. The staff was very welcoming and friendly and this made our staying very well. I forgot my wallet in the living room and a member of the staff collected it. He didn't accept a tip saying that the hotel was my house. Not necessary to say more!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Reno, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2010

My mom, brother, and I stayed in this hotel because of the nice review it was given in Fodor's; however, it was the worst hotel we had stayed in during our entire trip. The triple room was incredibly small with canopy beds which made it feel even smaller. It is quite rainy and cold in Chefchaouen during the winter, but the heater failed to emit even the slightest amount of heat and our room felt damp. Sleeping there and getting ready in the morning was very uncomfortable. The bathroom was horrendous because of the shower being small, only having a handheld showerhead, and not even having a shower curtain; therefore, I didn't take a shower during the two nights we were there.

Besides the room being horrible, the staff was incredibly rude. After coming downstairs to try the breakfast, which was NOT included, I didn't consume anything because the coffee and water for tea were both lukewarm and the food look less than appetising. Later on, one of the staff members said that I ate the breakfast and then demonstrated for me that the beverages were actually hot and couldn't understand why I didn't ask for a hoter beverage. This was the RUDEST a hotel staff member has ever been to my family in any of the places I've stayed across the world.

I will say that the location of the hotel was ok, but It was a quite an uphill walk to the main square and medina area. In all honesty, Chefchaouen was the my least favorite place in all of Morocco and I visited six other cities. Fez, Meknes, and Marrakech were much, much more enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2010
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Chefchaouen hotels

Provo, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

We were so excited to stumble upon such a great hotel so close to the old part of Chefchaouen! The price was right for travelers not wanting to pay the big bucks, but the quality was excellent! En suite bathrooms and FABULOUS breakfast, including fresh squeazed orange juice. The decor on the main floor is wonderful, the decor in the rooms was a little goofy but the beds were nice and the rooms were clean. When I go back to Chefchaouen I am staying at Hotel Madrid without question!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chefchaouen
Ksar Tinsouline
#23 of 31 in Chefchaouen
Hotel Casa Khaldi
Hotel Casa Khaldi
#12 of 31 in Chefchaouen

Been to Hotel Madrid? Share your experiences!