“A lovely place to stay and the staff were so sweet”
Review of Hotel Madrid

Hotel Madrid
Ranked #29 of 62 Chefchaouen B&B and Inns
Sydney
“A lovely place to stay and the staff were so sweet”
Reviewed June 20, 2011

This is a very beautiful hotel. The location is good, and the staff were very nice and helpful. I wasn't sure about the bus timetable and the staff just gave me all the info I needed. I tipped him but he didn't take it and said he just wanted to help. This was very impressive, especially when you are in a country that everyone try to make money from tourists. And it has wifi!! I was in love with this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Korean first
Milano
Reviewed June 5, 2011

We choose this hotel because of the positive review on the Petit Futé guide. This hotel is clean and quite comfortable, that is exactly what you expect from a budget hotel in Morocco. The hotel has a beautiful Moroccan dining hall, with wooden, painted ceiling and comfortable sofas. The rooms are furnished with canopy beds and they are not featureless. The staff was very welcoming and friendly and this made our staying very well. I forgot my wallet in the living room and a member of the staff collected it. He didn't accept a tip saying that the hotel was my house. Not necessary to say more!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed December 7, 2010

My mom, brother, and I stayed in this hotel because of the nice review it was given in Fodor's; however, it was the worst hotel we had stayed in during our entire trip. The triple room was incredibly small with canopy beds which made it feel even smaller. It is quite rainy and cold in Chefchaouen during the winter, but the heater failed to emit even the slightest amount of heat and our room felt damp. Sleeping there and getting ready in the morning was very uncomfortable. The bathroom was horrendous because of the shower being small, only having a handheld showerhead, and not even having a shower curtain; therefore, I didn't take a shower during the two nights we were there.

Besides the room being horrible, the staff was incredibly rude. After coming downstairs to try the breakfast, which was NOT included, I didn't consume anything because the coffee and water for tea were both lukewarm and the food look less than appetising. Later on, one of the staff members said that I ate the breakfast and then demonstrated for me that the beverages were actually hot and couldn't understand why I didn't ask for a hoter beverage. This was the RUDEST a hotel staff member has ever been to my family in any of the places I've stayed across the world.

I will say that the location of the hotel was ok, but It was a quite an uphill walk to the main square and medina area. In all honesty, Chefchaouen was the my least favorite place in all of Morocco and I visited six other cities. Fez, Meknes, and Marrakech were much, much more enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2010

Travelers are raving about these Chefchaouen hotels

Provo, Utah
Reviewed October 8, 2010

We were so excited to stumble upon such a great hotel so close to the old part of Chefchaouen! The price was right for travelers not wanting to pay the big bucks, but the quality was excellent! En suite bathrooms and FABULOUS breakfast, including fresh squeazed orange juice. The decor on the main floor is wonderful, the decor in the rooms was a little goofy but the beds were nice and the rooms were clean. When I go back to Chefchaouen I am staying at Hotel Madrid without question!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Madridejos, Spain
Reviewed May 2, 2010

Definitely visit Chefchaouen, but don't trust this hotel if you have a problem. I was traveling with two other Americans, and the staff was quick to judge, even though we spoke to them in Spanish. They often treated us as if we didn't know how hotels worked. To clarify, we are three smart travelers who have never run into problems like this.

They charged us for a triple room, even though they put us in a double with an additional (uncomfortable) cot placed in the middle of the room. There was a used band-aid on the floor, and the bathroom floor had noticeable hair on it. The rooms were incredibly damp.

Then the deal breaker: the hotel agreed to call us a taxi so we could return for our flight. We ended up having an argument with the hotel staff and two taxi drivers that came by mistake over the agreed price. Although I expressed that I was not comfortable going with a certain taxi driver because he was very aggressive, the staff told me to "calm down" and put us in the taxi anyway.

The upside? The beds were extremely comfortable, and the it is located close to the center.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Belgium
Reviewed January 28, 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights with a group in May 2008.

Location of this hotel is good, close to the centre. The diningroom is nice.

Rooms very small and old and not clean. Bathroom same story, very small, old and not clean.

Staff: The receptionist was all day telephoning with his girlfriend. And if you asked him something, he was irritated that he had to interumpt his phonecall.

Breakfast: nothing special, poor quality and not much choice.

Their must be better in Chefchaouen.

• Stayed May 2008
1 Thank Lalla_Saida
madrid
Reviewed January 11, 2010

This hotel is leaking sewage, smelly, dirty and unpleasant service. It's very expensive money quiality-price.

Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Moroccan House H, Directeur général at Hotel Madrid, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Guest ,
And readers of TripAdvisor:
We unfortunately face sometimes face this kind of problem: guests claiming that the hotel’s very dirty and unpleasant , while they didn’t make any comment or claim while they were present in the hotel .
The reality’s some websites show a low price which doesn’t include taxes paid in the hotel: it’s written on vouchers and mails of reservation’s confirmation, but guests omit to read or print this part of the mail .
TripAdvisor is a platform made to help people wherever in the world to have a better knowledge of the hotels. Not a way of revenge by giving false affirmations.
Best Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chefchaouen
Ksar Tinsouline
#3 of 23 in Chefchaouen
Aline Hostel
Aline Hostel
#7 of 32 in Chefchaouen

Been to Hotel Madrid? Share your experiences!