“slower pace”

Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Chefchaouen
Glen Ellen, California
“slower pace”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

We arrived by bus and took a taxi to the Medina and from there a street boy guided us to Dar Meziana. The term Medina didn't apply the same as in other cities with tight busy streets. This place is quite different with cobble streets many of which are made up of steps. It is quite beautiful with it's blue and white buildings. The Dar has a wonderful narrow blue pathway to the entry with lush green landscape. The interior is very colorful with a lot of architectural detail. There are few parallel walls and the angled staircases add to the character. We had a warm reception and served the usual mint tea in the pleasant lobby. Our room was off the terrace on the 3rd. level. This is a nice room with large windows to the terrace and city view. We noticed some lower floor rooms did not have exterior windows. The room was a little smaller than we had gotten used to but still quite nice and the bathroom was good with a shower that worked well. The staff was exceptional and happy to help in any way they could. We stayed for 3 nights and got to know Maurad since we hired him as a guide on his day off to show us the town and take us up the footpath to the Spanish Mosque and other places. He even did our laundry for us when we asked where we could find laundry service. The owner is a wonderful person that really went out of his way to contact us and arrange to have our camera, which I left in the room, delivered to our next destination in Tangier. He contacted our Tangier Dar 23 (also a great place) to be sure we got the camera.
Dar Mexiana is in a good location, beautiful and quiet. Our room had so many pillows we had to stack them aside to make room for luggage. This Dar is a safe choice for a visit to Chechauene.

Room Tip: The terrace room is nice and the room over the terrace is also very nice. Both have lots of window...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jer-jeanne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend, brother, and I recently stayed here while traveling through Morocco. The location was perfect and the place was beautiful! My boyfriend and I had a room that opened onto the terrace, which had an amazing view of Chefchaouen. It was so nice to eat breakfast up there and relax there at night. Everyone that works here was extremely nice and helpful. I would happily stay here again!

Stayed July 2014
Australia
Reviewed April 16, 2014

The Meziana is situated at the top of a steep blue passage in the Medina of Chefchaouen. The light filled central courtyard is decorated with bright colours, geometric murals on the wooden roof and local fabrics. The welcoming host made us the best freshly squeezed orange juice and gave us tasty biscuits while we checked in after our long journey up the mountain. The host proved to be friendly, accommodating and spoke good English all of which made our stay pleasant.
Our room had a fantastic view down over the medina and to the valley beyond. The blue and white buildings looked spectacular under the clear blue sky. Our room was simple with twin beds and an extra bed snuck in for our child. The light in the room and the view made up for the small annoyances such as limitations in storage and the wardrobe. Wall niches beside the bed took some useful essentials and some power points for the lamps could be used to charge gadgets.
The bathoom was very small, simple, clean and light filled. There was no towel rail for hanging or drying towels which tended to make life difficult, as did the hand held shower with no wall hook. The room had a reverse cycle AC and heaters for winter. A sad bar fridge sat unplugged and dirty as if no one told it Chefchaouen is essentially a dry town.
Breakfast was very tasty with fresh orange juice, great baguettes, jam, eggs, pancake and good coffee.
The Riad was located well on a tourist path leading down to the Kasbah, with a mixture of souvenir stalls and genuine local life. Stay here for the view and hope you get the top room with its glorious vista over this great town.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank DiboTraveller
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I don't know if I'm allowed, but I'd like to plug our tour operator, Experience It tours. This dar (meaning, I think, that it has no central square or water feature, which would make it a 'riad') was part of our tour, and if you can go with a tour guide, you won't regret it. However, if its a 'once in a lifetime' kind of trip, you may want to either go for longer, or see less. We went for two weeks, if you CAN go longer, I'd heartily recommend it.

I just joined tripadvisor and this trip was actually two years ago, but I doubt they could change the dar much. I think there is a large hotel in Chef, I'd avoid it in favour of this place. The rooms are fantastic, although our room didn't have a bathtub, it had one of those concrete showers where you could sit down, and it had a two foot 'lip', meaning I suppose you could fill up the bottom and sit down. However, the furnishings in Morocco are incredible, and from our room we had a view of the whole city. The night sky, the sunset, and the sunrise were all spectacular. The city itself is also a star attraction, our family group used this as an 'introduction' to moroccan cities, before hitting Fez and Marrakesh-and that's a good plan. There are lots of attractions around here, and I wish we had stayed longer. I think my favourite is Essaouira just because it has the ocean, but this city is so low key and beautiful that it makes a good 'retreat'.
We didn't see much of the staff, but the service was always prompt and the food wonderful. We only had breakfast here, but sitting out on the patio overlooking all the rooftops was a real experience, probably even more than our night in the desert. The breakfast is fairly simple, but oh so good. Fresh honey dripped over various flat and sweet breads, and of course orange juice and oranges that are out of this world. And olives that I would kill for (depending on the person:)
The bed was one of the more comfortable on our trip, and the room was so well decorated that if my wife would let me, our bedroom would be imitated down to the last end table. The headboard was beautiful. Sadly, we only had two nights here, so apart from some tea in the lounge area, we never got to experience enough of the place.
That is mainly because the city itself is so beautiful and so much to see. We climbed the hill where we were told by a spanish speaking gentleman that we looked like 'serious drug dealers', so he would get us some 'serious drugs'. Thats apparantly a ruse on this hike, they try to talk you into going into some village in the mountains for drugs. I'd seriously advise against it. Even if you wanted some its often a ploy and you are immediately arrested (so I'm told, we had to inform the man that we weren't even casual drug users let alone dealers).
And we also had one of the best meals at the restaurant in the square. It ranked right up there with some of the most high priced meals we've ever had.

Room Tip: Get a top floor room facing over the city
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Mike A
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We arrived in Chefchaouen late due to some craziness with our flights due to weather. Many emails later when we finally had confirmation of the day we would arrive in Casablanca Mourad from Dar Meziana had arranged for us to hire a grand taxi to drive us from Casa to Chefchaouen and pick us up at the airport. They usually have someone in Chef that they use for this purpose but they wouldn't be able to make it in time for when we were arriving, so Mourad went through the extra trouble of finding us someone based out of Casablanca and arranging a similar price that their person usually charged. The only bus that leaves from Casa to Chef had left by the time our flight arrived in Casa. It was lovely to get to our final destination sooner than later.

Mourad wasn't at the Dar when we arrived, but rather Naoufal greeted us and our taxi on the main street and helped us carry our bags to the Dar and then make us some delicious Moroccan mint tea.

Both Naoufal and Mourad were wonderful with directions about the town - it's so easy to get around in Chefchaouen. The dar was beautifully decorated, our room was lovely and had more than enough room for the two of us, and the view overlooking Chefchaouen from the rooftop terrace is breathtaking.

The breakfast was plentiful and fresh every morning and the coffee and tea was delicious.

In our travels we stumbled upon a Moroccan lamp store but were in a hurry to get to the Spanish mosque to watch the sunset and so we didn't have a chance to look. Mourad told me that he knew the owner and could arrange to have them meet us at the store in the morning to look at the lamps. Mourad came with us in the morning, however our bus was leaving shortly and we didn't have time to barter so we left without the lamps hoping to find something in Fes or Marrakech. No such luck.

I emailed Mourad and he's been in contact with me about the lamps, even went to the store to take a photo of them for me AND bartered for me. I believe it says so much about the character of the people that welcome you to their dar . . .

When we go back to Chefchaouen to experience a bit more time there we will definitely go back to Dar Meziana . . . Inshaallah.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GenevieveRT
Perth, Australia
Reviewed February 8, 2014

A lovely Dar with friendly staff and a beautiful open lounge , dining space. The room overlooked the town and we were able to see the sunsets. There is a spacious roof garden which is sunny and has a view - lovely for lunch. This accommodation is perfectly situated to walk into the main square of Chefchouen and yet it is tucked away in a quiet street up a few stairs. I have read reviews that talked about the number of stairs up to the Dar but we didn't find them difficult at all.

Room Tip: Get good directions prior to going - driving around Chefchouen was hard initially
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LouieJ50
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Stayed there from 10-13 December 2013. What a wonderful experience. Staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Breakfast was sooooo good. The place itself is so charming and beautiful. The rooms are beautiful. Unbelievable view over the town. Well situated. A must see place to visit for everyone's bucket list. Zelda Kruger, South Africa.

• Stayed December 2013