“An Excellent Choice on a Beautiful Island”

Mon Choisy Beach R.
Ranked #1 of 8 Mont Choisy B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I have recently returned from a wonderful 2 weeks stay in Maurituis.
I had a very enjoyable stay at this accomodation.
It was my first visit to the Island and I am sure it will not be my last.

The hotel is located 1hour away from the Airport on the North coast of the Island. I arranged my Airport transfers with the hotel and it was nice to have someone waiting for me at the airport after a long flight. The transfer cost 1500 Mauritians Rupees each way...

The resort is just as decribed as in the pictures.

I was allocated room C7, Garden View room. It is a top floor room, a good sized room, with a mini kitchenette( the kitchenette had all the basic essentials..mini hob..fridge..microwave..cutlery, cups, plates etc), balcony with a seating area and a sun terrace, which was a bonus, as I could sunbathe there as well as round the pool area...the pool is awesome...
The accomodation was clean and very modern. The king size bed was fantastic, along with the shower...heaven! The resort also allows guests to use the washing machine and dryer, which are located in the laundry room, near the reception area, free of charge, which is excellent. And also WIFI is available in the rooms free of charge, which I found a great bonus.

The accomadation is located just feet away from Mon Choisy beach. The resort is close to Trou aux Biche...just 10 - 15 minuues walk away..where you find another golden sandy beach. There are resturants and a mini supermarket close by or you can catch the local bus...(the bus stop is a few minutes walk from the resort on the same side of the road) to Grand Baie..where you will find a larger array of shops, resturants, beach and Super U the large supermarket, it costs only 22 Mauritian rupees on the bus, so quite cheap. Grand Baie is only 10 minutes away on the bus.

You can also catch a bus, across the road from the hotel to Port Louis the Capital of Mauritius, it takes around 40 minutes (there is an express bus that takes a shorter time) and costs around 32 rupees, which again quite cheap.

Across the road from the resort, a few minutes walk you will find the Mon Choisy Spa. Mishra the manager and her staff were excellent. They offer a good range of spa and beauty pacakages.

I most also mention Ben, an Excursion Guide from Grand Bay Travel & Tours. He was very helpful, in arranging tours or giving advice on must see tips on the Island. You can obtain his contact details from Sadec or Justine or you can find his office next door at GBTT Villas.

I had a beautiful stay here and I would recommend it to a friend. There is building work going on next door to the resort, I believe a similar hotel is being built but I miust say I found the disturbance from the building work minimal...it didn't affect the enjoyment of my stay.
All the staff that I met at the resort were helpful, polite and professional.
Sadec and Justine were fantastic very knowledgable and helpful...Also the the housekeeping staff who looked after me..Preeyshila, Gianee & gorgeous Rita were lovely women,they really looked after me. Rita, used to make beautiful displays with the towels and fresh flowers everyday...I would like to thank them and the rest of the staff for my stay very memorable. I look forward to returning one day.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
N_Adamjee, General Manager at Mon Choisy Beach R., responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Madam,
The whole team here at Mon Choisy would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for this very kind feedback.
It was a real pleasure to have been your host during your recent stay.
We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We have just returned from our first visit to Mauritius. We had booked 2 weeks at Mon Choisy Beach Resort, as we like the extra space of self-catering accommodation, the fact that one can cook a meal, should you be so inclined, and also that this would allow us to stay for a longer period as it was more cost-effective than staying at a hotel.

We booked the accommodation through Booking.com after reading many of the reviews for the resort. We decided to pay the little bit extra to have a sea-facing unit, which is an absolute must! it is not always clear to see from photographs on the Internet what a resort really looks like, so I will try to explain a bit. MCBR is built on a long, narrow piece of land right on the beach. It consists of 5 separate buildings, one behind the other, blocks A to E, with block A being the units that are sea-facing, and block E being close to the road and entrance. Every block consists of 3 units on floor level, 3 units on first level, and 1 unit on the top level. In other words, each block consists of 7 units, meaning that only the 7 units in block A are sea-facing. All the other units would only be garden-facing (very small side gardens). On the only vacant site next to MCBR, a building is being erected which looks like it could be rather big, which will take away any side sea-view any of the back units may have had.

In front of block A, there is a lovely pool with a number of deck chairs to enjoy. There is a magnificent view from the front of the resort looking out over the sea, with wonderful sunsets. People often enjoyed this.

MCBR has a front gate which you can use to take long walks on the beach to e.g. Trou aux Biches or Mont Choisy Beach. Both lovely beaches to swim at. We enjoyed a late afternoon walk every day, coming back for a dip in the pool, before enjoying the sunsets. All the units have a little balcony, so it was nice to sit there with something to drink.

Our unit was on the bottom level, which we enjoyed as it was so easy to walk to the pool, etc., but you do have a bit of a privacy problem, so perhaps the next level would be better, but then you would have to deal with stairs all the time. Personal choice I guess.

Our unit was lovely and clean. It was smaller than I had expected though, with the only cupboard for all the clothing, being the one in the kitchen area, which can be seen on the Internet. There is hardly any space to put any foodstuffs in the kitchen, and we had to use the area under the sink, which normally has a bit of a smell, to store some items. The fridge is minute, with a very small freezer section, but at least we had a fridge. Our air conditioner was working, but after an hour or so, it started dripping water all over on the floor. The Manager, Sadec, came to have a look, and asked if it could be seen to on the Monday (we arrived on Sat.), and we had no problem with that. They supplied towels to put on the floor in the meantime for the dripping. The two-plate stove was not working, and a working unit was put cross-ways on top of it, as it was apparently a slightly different size, and the cupboard top would have to be cut bigger to fit it in. This made the working area, already very small, very difficult to handle. As we were in the unit for 2 weeks, I believe this could have been corrected during that time.

The kitchen has the basic equipment, a bit on the minimal side, but quite sufficient. MCBR could really invest in a decent knife though, such as a breadknife. There are 3 very small knives with which to cut items such as fruit and veg, etc., and it is quite a battle! The towels are also no longer soft and white, and should really be replaced. White towels which have turned grey are not attractive. The bed is wonderful, but also the white linen is starting to turn greyish. Although the room looked lovely and clean, we often had a smell of something like urine, which I could not explain. It did not come from the bathroom area. The bed looked brand new, so I am not sure if the smell came from the duvet or pillows, or was it just a dampness from the sea? I just used air freshener to try to block it.

The beaches in the area are very close, and many are wonderful for swimming. I could just never find a place to go snorkeling from the beach, as most beaches have a bathing section with ropes around (to keep bathers safe from all the passing boats), so one could not safely go snorkeling past these ropes. We took a short drive towards Grand Baie area, and found La Cuvette beach. It was wonderful for a swim, and we made this our regular beach. We also took a glass bottomed boat from here to the reef for some snorkeling.

Sadec and his staff members are really very helpful and friendly, and on a few occasions Isabella made lovely towel displays on our bed while we were at the beach. The gardens and building are kept in a spotless condition, everything in its place. The guardsmen at the gate are also extremely helpful and friendly.

All in all, we had a really lovely time at MCBR. GBTT (Grand Bay Travel and Tours) have an office next door, and can book many trips you may want to take for you. There are many service providers in the area, which could do the same.

There are just so many restaurants in the area that you could pick and choose where and what to eat. We drove up to Grand Baie area (very close), and had an excellent time at the Patch and Parrot Restaurant and Sports Bar. Live music on Fridays, very casual, excellent food.

Room Tip: Make sure you block a sea-facing unit in Block A.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
N_Adamjee, General Manager at Mon Choisy Beach R., responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Dear Madam,
Thank you for your review.
As you have mentioned, we are always doing our best to provide our guests with quality and best value for money accommodation.
Just to clarify we do not operate a full size kitchen. All our studios have a fully equipped kitchenette where you can make yourself a very good breakfast and decent lunch and diner.
We are glad that you had a good time with us and hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Very modern, appears to have been recently built. For the money it is an excellent choice. The resort is spotlessly clean.. Although there is no restaurant in the resort, there is one very close by and it delivers breakfast. The bus stops at the resort gate and if you want to see a specific attraction etc. the staff will organize a car at a very reasonable rate. In fact the manage and staff could not be more helpful. I highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: We had a room on the ground floor, and as we are seniors this suited us. However the first floor roo...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 54Chrispeter54
N_Adamjee, General Manager at Mon Choisy Beach R., responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear Sir,
Thank you very much for these kind words on Tripadvisor.
We are very glad to have help you have a good time in our beautiful Island.
We sincerely hope that you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

This was our 2nd trip to Mauritius and the 1st time in a self catering accommodation. It was brilliant!! We were really pleasantly surprised by the quality of this Residence. It is modern, clean and the staff is really looking after you. It has an amazing beach about 50m away and the views from the swimming pool is truly stunning, especially at sunset time. But the best thing about it was its price. It has been the best value for money accommodation we have ever stayed in!!! Don’t hesitate to give it a try!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mr. John,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travellers on Tripadvisor.
It was a real pleasure to welcome you here.
We hope that your journey back home went well.
See you next year!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have just come back from 2 Weeks holiday @ this lovely beach residence in Mauritius。
we had a truly fantastic time at this beautiful place. It has everything one is looking for on a budget holiday. The rooms are cleaned everyday. The staff is really friendly. The swimming pool is beautiful and the beach next door is absolutely stunning. Tip: Make sure you go out during the day to visit the island but be back for 6pm for sunset... it is really worth it!! Highly Recommended - thank you to all the staff!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Janine M

Thank you Mrs. Janine for your kind words on us.
We hope to welcome you again soon.
Warm regards,

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed here from Feb 2 to Feb 9 and had requested a sea view room. Upon arrival, we got bumped to the MCBR room for the same price because of an over-booking This room too has a sea view and to me, is the best room in the whole place. Sadec was kind enough to do this at no extra cost.
This place really goes above and beyond customer satisfaction. As a traveller, I really find a lack of customer satisfaction in a lot of places because you as a customer, are not necessarily going back any time soon. You can however, write a review, either good or bad, which influences people's choices. Bumping us to the MCBR room was just one bonus, they offer free laundry (which is usually very expensive in most places) and the daily cleaning of the rooms was outstanding. There is also 24 hour security and free parking. On our last day because our flight was leaving late at night, they gave us a room to shower and store our luggage in until we left later that evening. That was truly above and beyond the norm.
It is also a great place for families; they have rooms that are adjoining. All rooms also have kitchenettes which is awesome for self catering which we did everyday.
I would for sure stay here again and highly recommend it. Thank you Sadec and sorry we missed you on our last day!

Room Tip: Any of the sea view rooms are worth it if you can get one.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aproestakis
N_Adamjee, General Manager at Mon Choisy Beach R., responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind words on the Team and the Residence.
It was a real pleasure to have you with us.
We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I give this high rating only because of the ocean view room in which we stayed 10 out of 14 nights in this resort. Unfortunately, at the time of the booking the ocean view room was not available for the whole duration of our stay, so we had to make two bookings and move into a garden room for the last 4 nights. Having experienced the ocean view room the move into a garden room was very disappointing and hard to take. It's like first class v economy.
The resort is built on a long and very narrow plot, and only one block, Block A, which is featured in all their pictures, is well positioned and its rooms face the ocean. Our room in block A was clean, airy and bright.The view of the swimming pool, a row of palm trees and endless turquoise ocean with waves breaking on reefs on the horizon  grabs you from the moment you step in and doesn't let you go.  The higher you are in the block, more privacy and more of a view you get.  The swimming pool was never overcrowded during our stay. After dark the swimming pool area was dimly lit up. From the balcony we could hear the ocean and see the lights on the boats, nobody came to this part of the residence at that time, so it felt extremely spacious, tranquil and private as though it all belonged just to us and a few other chosen ones. Also to wake up in the morning, open the curtains letting the view back in was precious.  Ocean view rooms are a piece of paradise for a fraction of the price.
The other four blocks are tucked behind block A, perpendicular to it, along the depth of the plot, and all the rooms in those blocks face one and the same side, what they call a garden. The garden is flowers and shrubs planted along the wall, a couple of metres away from the blocks, which is a real nice touch, and they make the best use of the tiny space available there but not a garden I imagined at the time of the booking. Ground floor rooms do have the vibe of a garden but they are darker. When we had to move into the garden room, we were given a ground floor room first. The stale smell of cigarettes immediately announced it's presence, despite the fact that all the rooms are non-smoking. There was no air flow in that room at all.  The managers of this resort were so friendly, helpful and responsive they immediately offered us another room which was on the first floor and far much better as to its feel,  however we couldn't use the balcony as much as we did in Block A because people on the ground floor were smoking outside and our balcony often felt like a gas chamber. We didn’t have this problem at all during our 10 day stay in Block A. All I can say, these garden blocks, because of their position, have poor air circulation and less light. Everything we cherished about the ocean view room: the ocean vista, fresh air, feel of privacy and exclusivity was gone when we moved into the garden room.  However, if you don't mind smoking and can do without vistas, a garden room is perfectly fine.
Kitchens in all rooms are equipped borderline for cooking dinners and not without compromises.  The other catch is that there is no coffee making facilities on the premises unless you drink instant. Fortunately, the lovely manager sorted this problem for us, but his magic is not endless. If you are a coffee drinker I would suggest you pack a cafetiere or filter holders. You will be able to buy paper filters there. There is a nice supermarket Pick & Pay ten minutes drive at M2 junction at Grand Bay. You can find whatever you need there, but bear in mind limited cooking facilities in your studio.  It's handy to have a car if you are staying in this resort regardless if you cook or go out. There is not a big choice of restaurants or food shops in walking proximity. Also the best beach, Trou Aux Biches, is easy to reach by car. A walk to it is also possible but may be exhausting if the weather is too hot. We did both drove and walked by the ocean path to that beach depending on our mood. The best stretch of that beach is owned by Trou Aux Biches Resort and Spa, but they do not mind intruders as long as you don't use their loungers. It's about 20-25 minutes walk from the residence or if to go by car,  drive to the main Trou Aux Biches public beach car park and walk  to the right on the beach until you find a palm tree to put your towel under. Mont Choisy public beach is literally next to the residence but it failed to win our hearts over the paradise of Trou Aux Biches. In conclusion I would like to praise the management and staff of Mon Choisy Beach Resort, the level of service we received from them throughout our stay was superb. Thank you, guys!

Room Tip: ocean view rooms are brighter, airier, have a gorgeous view and feel of exclusivity. The higher you...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Vivid_gb

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for sharing you experience and recommending us to other travellers on Tripadvisor.
Sadec, myself and and all the team hope to welcome you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mont Choisy
Pereybere Hotel & Spa
Pereybere Hotel & Spa
#1 of 5 in Pereybere
Mont Choisy Coral Azur Beach Resort
Mont Choisy Coral Azur Beach Res...
#3 of 10 in Trou aux Biches
Veranda Grand Baie Hotel & Spa
Casuarina Resort & Spa
Casuarina Resort & Spa
#6 of 10 in Trou aux Biches

Been to Mon Choisy Beach R.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Mon Choisy Beach R.

Address: Royal Road, Mont Choisy, Mauritius 230
Location: Mauritius > Pamplemousses District > Mont Choisy
Beach Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Shuttle Bus service Suites Swimming Pool Airport Transportation
Ranked #1 of 8 B&Bs / Inns in Mont Choisy
Price Range: $79 - $171 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Mon Choisy Beach R. 3.5*
Overlooking the magnificent lagoon of Mon Choisy, our Apart Hotel is next to the one of the most beautiful and longest beaches where you can swim, snorkel, sail or soak up the north coast sun. A short walk will bring you to a number of activities such as water sports, tennis, horse riding, deep sea fishing or enjoy a drink in the nearby friendly restaurant. This Apart Hotel offers the perfect sun and fun holiday with the swimming pool and beach to laze around, whilst the more fun lovers can head further north, a 10 minute drive to the cosmopolitan coastal town of Grand Bay renowned for its restaurants, bars and shops. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Travelocity, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Mon Choisy Beach R. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Mon Choisy Beach R. Mauritius/Mont Choisy