“A complete review on Redang Holiday Beach Villa”

Redang Holiday Beach Villa
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Pulau Redang
Reviewed August 13, 2009

I am an Italian guy that is just back from a 5D6N in Redang Holiday Beach Villa and I have to say that most of the review I saw in trip advisor about this resort don't give a complete idea of this place, they are just bunch of complaining without any actual real information.
I want to say that before leave for Redang Island I've been reading all the reviews/comments in trip advisor about this place so I had the chance to actually compare all the comments I saw with the place I visited (I must say I was quite nervous about staying in that place after reading the people's bad judgments).

Main idea:
1) Malaysia isn't a fully developed country and Redang Island is a tiny island in to a protect marine park. Service structure cannot compete with other countries facilities. Despite that Redang also offers other resorts with higher standard than “Holiday Beach Villa” but, obviously, much more expensive.
Here I mostly read about people that want to go on a Paradise Tropical Island, have Grand Hotel Quality services and…well..pay Bed ‘n Breakfast …. Come on… if it doesn’t match all these three requirements it gets judged as a “[--]-hole”.
Comments on other visitor comments:
1) “Floor was full of sand and even the rug on the floor was sandy”.
Both our rooms were enough clean, I saw them cleaning the floor carefully after people checked out but of course there will always be some small cracks with sands…in case you didn’t get it yet, this resort is on the beach, your shoes will get full of sands, your bed sheets will get full of sands and so on… if you want a sand-proof room, well schedule your vacations on a mountain next time!

2) “Food is all Chinese and Malaysian food” & “the guy cooking eggs spat sever times”
You travel half of the world to get to Malaysia, go to KT, take 1 hour boat and you complain it has not western food? Of course 95% of the food is Malaysian/Asian…you are staying in Asia my friends… if you wanna eat your moms spaghetti bring it from home, but don’t expect a small resort on a tiny tropical island to cook cannelloni for you…. Beside, BBQ meat, French fries, and bbq chicken wings are quite western to me…if you want they have plenty of MC in KL while waiting in the airport….
As for spitting, well nobody can say it’s a positive thing, but I would just like to say that I lived in Asia the last years of my life and it is common (unfortunately) to see cookers spitting all time, even in the British shining Hong Kong, the fancy Shanghai and so on…I am not defending the spitters, but that is a common “event” in Asia not a plague of Redang Holiday Beach Villa.

Food was good (standard buffet quality) and plenty, it is not true that you have to be there 1 hour before or they will run out of staffs…I went eating even 1 hour half after the lunch time and still could find plenty of food to eat, I don’t know what people are talking about.
I have to say that after 3 or 4 days you might bored to eat their buffet, but the beach offers many other alternative in a 10 minutes walking range.

Most of the other comments I read come from people that either had a bad experience or aren’t used to travel at all… just to make it a short summary of them:
- “I lost my snorkeling mask they want to charge me”….. is that such a surprise? Take care of the things you rent or bring your own stuffs…
-“I have to clean my own plate, take the stuffs back to the kitchen” …you only have to drop it on the way out, what a big deal as in all fast food in the world….
-“ I paid 160 USD/night… 600RM/night…” gee complain your travel agent guys if you got over charged…
-“Staff cannot speak English”…not true, the higher position people can speak English, they might have a strong accent but it is understandable; beside they all can also speak Mandarin (which is traveling language in Asia).
I wonder if any of these people have ever spent a couple of days in any small Italian Hotel….what about their nonexistent English???

-“Nights are ruined by music until 12”….I had a room close to the bar and I couldn’t hear any noise once the door was closed; furthermore EACH resort on Redang Island has music running to 1 am…
Holiday Beach Villa has Karaoke while others have Disco Music, South American Music and so on..this is common all over the island.

The Resort must improve some aspects (2nd line standard rooms have a really bad view on Electricity generators and some trash deposit while the 1st line has a great view) and strength some services already provided (better purifying water system for showers and more hangers for the dresses) but it is really not a bad choice.
It has the best position among all the resorts, it is the most isolated one while all the others are almost connected each other (by isolated I mean 5/6 minutes walking from the closest one) and if you really want to can use other’s resort services by paying (different restaurants, diving centers, etc.)

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
26  Thank nemaproblema

Reviewed August 13, 2009

I would like to highlight and compliment the manager Mr John, and the Driver
Tengku Mustafa for their outstanding services. Both of them went out of
their way to make me feel very comfortable during my stay at your resort. I
also notice that all the staffmembers there are very courteous and that the
services provided by the staff at Redang Holiday Villa is definitely of
5-star quality. Congratulations, and Keep Up the Good Work!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
5  Thank AisMalaysia
Reviewed July 8, 2009

I stayed for 3d2n at a standard room in this resort. When I & my partner arrived, we were greeted by a troop a friendly staff. The room I stayed in was utterly basic which comprised of 2 queen beds, one dressing table, one chair, a long rack for your bags, one clothes hangar. Frankly speaking, I didn’t expect the room to be so horrible since the price I was paying was not cheap. I found that there was not even a decent place to hang your clothes let alone a piece of art in the room. The floor was full of sand and even the rug on the floor was sandy. The food was OK but I was surprised when one of the staff spat several times while preparing the omelet for breakfast!!
I booked the package through one of the most reputable travel agency in KL. However, on my 2nd day here, I received a ‘not so friendly’ visit from the hotel manager saying that he has not received any payment from my agent. I told him I had paid in full and by cash before I departed hence he shall chase my agent for the payment. To my shock, he continued harassing me by saying if he doesn’t receive the payment by the time I check out, he will have no choice but to demand me to make full payment again! I dont think it was appropriate as his collections problems with his business partner is none of my concern. Despite the horrible experience I had here, I have to admit that the snorkeling trip with the staff was quite fun. However, they need to improve a lot on hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sha83
Reviewed July 6, 2009

For 499RM a night, the room was not at all what I expected. Starting from the late pick-up at the airport, to being greeted by a clearly run-down chalet which might or might not have been cleaned, and having to collect my own room towels at the often unmanned reception, it was a disappointment. We tried the buffet-style food there on our first day then gave up and had most of our meals at Coral Redang next door which was miles better. While the room and experience was not terrible, a little comfort and service should have been available at the rates they were charging.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joey_boyd
Reviewed June 22, 2009

Although many may say that the rooms in Redang Holiday are small and VERY basic(no TV, no telephone,no toiletries), my experience there was pleasantly unforgettable. This place is suitable for those who wants a "out-of -touch" trip where you immerse yourself in the natural beauty and carefree surroundings. You can get to enjoy yourself to the core without disruptions from phonecalls and other electronics. The sun-sea-sand environment is enough to keep you engaged throughout the trip and you won't have time to think of other things back home. The beach is unspoilt and water is temendously clear. This is paradise for those who are not fussy and who are looking for a relaxing holiday rather than a luxurious one. The people there are very friendly and sincere. They put in their best in whatever they do. The snorkeling trips are extremely fun and they kept me running back for more. 3D2N was definitely not enough for me. I would still visit Redang island again and certainly don't mind staying in Redang Holiday once more. All the good things just neutralises everything......

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank Woohooparadise
Reviewed June 14, 2009

Been to Redang Island 8 times for the last 20yrs, this is by far the worst resort i experience. Five word to sum up: Dont come here! Everything sucks!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2009

Well when we arrived the staff come and take you bags as you get off the boat, and take you to check in. The rooms are small and very basic, only small towel is provided. The food is ok, always something to eat, but it is all chinese and Malasian food. Maybe somewhere where more western travels stay may vary in the the food provided.
There are no sun beds on the beach, the beach is not clean always bottles and rubbish around.
There is construction on site at the moment and the dirt and watter runs onto the beach where you have to pass, so you find yourself jumping and walking round this stream of dirt.
On departure the staff take your bags and have them put on the boat, straight after you board the boat. When I got off the boat and was given back my bag I noticed my mobile was missing! I am 100% positive that it was there before my bag was placed on the boat. The staff did nothing, no phone call or email to appologise. I wouldn't recommend anyone stays here.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
#4 of 12 in Pulau Redang
Perhentian Island Resort
Perhentian Island Resort
#4 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar

Been to Redang Holiday Beach Villa? Share your experiences!