“Worth the amount u paid for”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pulau Redang
Redang Kalong Resort
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Pulau Redang
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Worth the amount u paid for”
Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

Was there in July.. It had fixed time for the activities and eating time.. Rooms are good.. quite comfortable.. toilet is also acceptable.. Friendly staffs.. but the check in time here is 11am and check out time is 9am

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank DanArif

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I flew to Redang via Berjaya Air. Beware the 10 kg check in luggage allowance, although it wasn't strictly enforced when I checked in. They do weighted it. The transfer from airport to Redang Kalong takes about 5 mins van followed by 10 mins boat ride. It costed RM 20 return.

Redang Kalong is well kept and tidy. The room is seperated by a thin wall, so conversation from next door is audible. Bed sheet is clean, good firm mattress, strong water flow with hot water. Air condition is sufficiently cooling. There is no TV and no fridge, but there is a safe in the room. No toiletries is given so do bring your own soap / shampoo. Bathroom towel is supplied and can be changed at the check in counter at 6 pm.

Food is chinese home cooked style; simple, tasty but not much choices. Meal is included in the stay. Be there at the start of the meal time since some of the dishes are not replenished. There is a karaoke room with not much selection of english and chinese songs from the 90s. Mineral water is RM 4 for a 1.5L bottle, beer is RM 8 a can. Bucket of ice is RM 5.

The sand is coarser compared to the one in Long Beaches not swimmable during low tide due to the dead corals. Snorkelling is included as well and there are two trips in a day. If you want extra trip do approach one of those guys there, he will bring you out in a group of 10 for RM 10 per person. One of the bleached blond guy there is pretty helpful. Generally the service is excellent and prompt.

But I can't say the same for the diving. The diving instructors has attitude problem. The first time I approached him asking for a dive, he asked me to go sit down in the lobby area first and will come meet me later for a chat. He didn't come. So I approached him the second time, the same answer was given. After I chatted with another resident only I discovered that this is his style to ask you to go away. This is not the professional way to do it. How could I trust the instructor if I went diving with him and he said he will wait for me with the boat ?

So I took a walk to Long Beach, which is accessible via a well trodden path that's about 15 mins away. After 100 mosquitoes bites and 3 garbage dump sites later, I emerged at Redang Laguna Resort. The beach fully packed, nice soft white sands, green azure water. Approached one of the dive centres there. Although the are full, they are still very accommodating and willing to send a boat over to fetch me. That, is what I called service compare to the sour faces back in Redang Kalong. However I paid an extra RM 50 per boat for the pickup and dropoff.

Given a choice, I will stay in one of the resorts on the Long Beach next round. Yes it is more crowded; but the sands, the swimmable water and the accessibility all works out. In Redang Kalong you can pretty much dozed off under the tree on the beach itself, since it's the only resort in that side of the beach (the other resort next to it was abandoned and all that's left is an ugly shell there). So that means the dive centre could afford to give you the attitude : Their way or the Mosquito Way.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank scuba_enthusiast_12
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My friends and I came back less than a week ago from a 2 night stay. We were very satisfied. There may be nicer resort in Redang, but given the price we paid, It's worth!

Perhaps the best thing about the resort is the staff. I typically feel uncomfortable being waited on and generally prefer not to have staff seeking to attend to me; We rarely availed ourselves of the staff's help during our stay. Nevertheless, I found the staff to be very attentive without being intrusive. I almost felt as if someone was always unobtrusively paying attention to us, ready to assist if they sensed you wanted it, but willing to leave you alone if you didn't indicate any desire for attention.

This is not a party hotel. If you are looking for a more quiet and relaxing vacation in a lovely atmosphere with great service - this is the right choice. We would definitely return. Kelv ^^v

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Visited Redang Kalong resort with my sister and her boyfriend who have been living in KL for the past few months. The resort was a bit of a bus ride from KL and a small boat trip which was a bit like a roller coaster ride all the way to the island but fun nevertheless. After arriving on the resort we were greeted and met by staff and made welcome. We were taken to the rooms which were very basic to say the least yet had a/c which was a blessing in disguise. The timings for breakfast, lunch and dinner is very regimental and more like a boot camp than holiday and the food was of ok quality (3 stars). The snorkling trip on the boat was a little disorganised and we ended up doing our own thing and not the sight seeing tour underwater I expected. Good for a laugh but not if you are wanting to see the corals etc...

On the final day I ended up going diving which was amazing but got stung by a school of jellyfish which was very unpleasant and not the resorts fault. The price for the diving trip was very reasonable. On the plus side the resort had internet you could use for a small surcharge and nice surroundings. There are kayaks available for use, and you need to pay to rent your snorkling gear etc... On the day we left they were desperate to get rid of us so they can welcome more guests to the island. Overall this was a fun experience.

Room Tip: In Malaysia the bathrooms are an absolute mess so when you find a good one just use it!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank SimonEat
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Redang Kalong is one of the better resorts with good value. What makes this place great is that the staff are very nice and helpful - they have mostly Burmese staff - Ali, Hassan, Wei Nain, Abdul Rashid and others. The water is clear but not as clear as places like Mataking or Sipadan. On a bright sunny day you can see different shades of blue and turquoise. They have a good snorkeling team who will bring you to great places with plenty of marine life. My wife even saw a 3 foot long shark (bull shark I think, not so sure from the description). Meal and snorkeling times are fixed daily and someone will shout out lunch or snorkeling time when the time comes. Visitors are mostly Chinese nationals with a sprinkling of locals and Singaporeans. There are European divers as well. Apparently this resort has the best diving team too. So why didn't I give this place 5 stars? The walls of the rooms are too thin! You can hear everything... I mean EVERYTHING. it can be annoying especially if u r tired from a day's activities and just wanna sleep and your neighbors are up all night talking or laughing loudly. Other than that, I'd recommend this place to anyone. I'd come back next year... IF they keep the same staff.

• Stayed June 2012
Reviewed June 29, 2012

this is my first time to redang island. and i choose to stay at this resort after read through and compared reviews on the resorts.
well, it is reli nice resort to me....
the seaview very nice n oways stay at outside of room to enjoy the view
the food delicious enough and many choice, i ate much and never starving at there.
the room clean enough and the bed comfortable to sleep.
the service from resort very friendly and warmly.
just the beach is not nice enough and the sand not soft n white enough.
but this no affect my mood to enjoy and relax at the resort because of the seaview.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I spend a couple of weeks here as I took a long diving holiday and found it amazing. Yes it is basic but that is great. You do not need TV in your room then you can just as well have stayed home. The food is great if you like Asian food enough variety not leaves you hungry, you can have seconds and thirds should you wish. All included packages that make budgeting easy: room, 3 x meals per day, all the tea, coffee, juice or water you want, afternoon snacks, morning tea time, bread with jam and peanut butter available all day. Your boat transfers are also included what more do you want. Cash bar on site and small tuck shop for the extras you might grave. The owners and staff are very friendly. The diving is very good and professionally conducted and it can be pre booked and included in your package. Whether you are a beginner or a professional diver they can accommodate you and you might just learn something new. They do 3 to 4 dives per day dependent on conditions, safety first. I will recommend this resort to everybody, if you need 5 star treatment go and make your booking at a 5 star resort and pay the price. I will return here any day. I stayed between March'11 to May'11.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo