“Just what the other places on Pulau Redang should be, but aren't”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pulau Redang
Redang Kalong Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Pulau Redang
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Hands down this is the place to go on Pulau Redang if you are looking to relax and enjoy yourself for on a beautiful uncrowded beach, have a quality dive experience with some outstandingly expert yet wickedly funny and fun dive masters, and find yourself be looked after – unobtrusively but professionally – by a team of real great resort managers and staff.

Just over the very small headland separating it from the southmost of the Pasir Panjang Beach resorts (the Laguna Island Resort), the peaceful and nature-centric Redang Kalong is worlds away from the depressing collection of package tour resorts, karaoke and banana boat riding outfits, and low-rent local college kids party places) that, unfortunately, populate pretty much all of Pasir Panjang Beach (something that you should keep in mind while reading the reviews of some of those other places here, as even at the less party-oriented places at the northern end of the beach, the relentlessly blaring pop/rap/disco music from the southern places is loud enough to be heard in all its annoyingness all up and down the entire beach – including, possibly, in your room).

But it’s not just in comparison to those other options that this place is a real standout. The rooms are simple, clean and comfortable (the walls are a little thin and do let in even talking from the adjoining room, but as most people are out of their rooms all day and asleep before 11 pm, this is not really a problem - also, turning on the air con will provide just enough of a hum to drown it out), the 3 buffets and 1 “tea time” each day are all plentiful and as varied as can be expected on an island resort (in addition, there is self-serve coffee, tea, toast, jam, butter, peanut butter, fresh water and juice drink that are available all day free of charge), and the beach itself is a long one – maybe a 20 minute walk from one end to the other – with no other resorts on it (except the remnants of a two other abandoned ones). The water here is crystal clear and great for swimming, though the house reef is a good kick out and just okay when compared to some of the other nearby reefs that you can visit by jumping on one of their two day snorkelling boat excursions, which are also available free of charge.

As alluded to earlier, however, the real standout here though is the friendliness and the professionalism of the staff. The owner is a dive master himself, and the dive outfit that he has assembled here – dive masters and instructors Johan, Liam and Tim – are absolutely top notch: you’ll see the best of whatever there is to see on a given day, as well as learn at least one new useful diving tip for technique improvement on virtually every dive. (This was my experience, anyway, because there’s still so much I have to learn – but I could tell that the far more experienced divers on the dives also felt that the dive masters here were a cut above the norm). There are at least two morning dives and one afternoon dive every day, plus night dives, discovery dives, courses, etc when wanted. In my four full days there, I did 10 dives. A girl who left the day after I arrived had just done 26. Get the feeling that its fun to dive here?

Back on land, the resort staff are as friendly and as super-competent as the dive staff: everyone seems to have incorporated the dive master mentality of being on the lookout for anything out of place, and of then taking steps to set things right before they become problems. And no one embodied this principle more so than the super-sweet and always on top of everything Angelin, who makes what must be a very complicated and demanding job look both effortless and fun.

All the staff were really great to me, and I cannot imagine staying anywhere else on Pulau Redang after staying at the Redang Kalong

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank singapore_D

Reviewed January 23, 2011

Me and my sister stayed there for 4 days and we absolutely loved it! We visited Malaysia for 3 weeks, stayed in 8 different accommodations (budget to luxurious ones) and this was far the best. The owners and all the staff were the friendliest guys we have ever met, they absolutely looked after us in all respect. I am a vegetarian and thanks to them I did not starve for a moment, they made special dishes just for me. Meals 5x a day, all included in price. The resort is very remote so your holiday will not be ruined by noisy annoying tourists who enjoy loud music on the beach. The water there is crystal clear. We really enjoyed the twice a day snorkeling trips around the islands, visiting beautiful beaches and swimming with Nemo and baby sharks. Bare in mind the water is very shallow at the resort so you would need to walk far inside the sea to be able to swim at the resort. But for us it was not an issue thanks for the fantastic snorkeling trips. Tip: no need to bring your own snorkeling equipment, they have tons and good quality. Ridiculously cheap rental fee. The resort is surrounded by the jungle. Some of the rooms face the sea directly, our room was unfortunately not one of them and also it did not have A/C (it was broken). Make sure you get an A/C room. As we are not the type of people who fall for luxury, we did not mind the simple furnishing. Unlimited WiFi internet available for a small extra cost. I really hope we can soon return. Thanks for all your effort and making our holiday unforgettable. Angela and Linda

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank apako
Reviewed January 5, 2011

We had booked this resort because another internal hotel fully booked, is really fun stay here, because it is free and easy. The owner is hard working building relationship with the guest, it not luxury but very family feeling, the foods is good, and best is 5 meals a day.
the Owner and staff are friendly, except facilities especially hot shower may not that hot.
This a place you would come back for the family style of stay...

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Samtho
Reviewed August 7, 2010

We have Comort, Leisure, adventure and fun holiday. Although it is not in Long Beach, Kalong is a good environment for leisure. It is located in a quiet beach. I like the style of room (house). I very appreciate they use reuse tools, that's good for environment protection. They have free drinks provided (water, juice, coffee, tea).
I should not forget their good service, as my sunglasses was fell down in the deep sea by my careless when transfering the boat, the master and their crew help me to find it, finally got it. Thank a lot!! It is not a easy job to find small thing in the sea!! I can feel their nice, kindness throughout the stay in the Kalong Resort

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Rowenlee
Reviewed August 7, 2010

We stayed at Redang Kalong Resort for 6 days. We booked the stay via the internet through an online tour operator (Ping Anchorage). The resort was on a secluded beach, sharing it only with two tumbledown remnants of extinct resorts. Accommodation was spartan but adequate - a/c was a welcome bonus. One lack we noted was any sort of desk. Room was clean & bed comfortable. Rooms include small balconies with sea view rooms obviously having better views. The staff were great - welcoming, friendly & extremely helpful. The charming 'front-person' Angeline was well able to answer/help out with any inquiries & this was the case with staff in general. on one of the snorkelling trips I managed to slash a foot open on the coral & one of the staff on the boat insisted on dressing the would personally. Which leads neatly into the snorkelling: it was wonderful! The water was absolutely crystal clear with any amount of sea creatures & corals to feast the eyes on.
I noted that some reviewers have complained about the beach at the resort. It is certainly true that at low tide a lot of dead coral and some rocks are exposed - swimming is still of course possible & many people took advantage of that. Staff clean the beach in front of the resort daily & the restaurant is a great place to chill out.
Food quality is good - although if you are a westerner wanting recognisable western food, you may well be disappointed. All meals were from a self serve buffet, with Malaysian foods forming the bulk of the offerings: lots of noodles, rice & curries. Every second night was a BBQ dinner with fresh fish, chicken & lamb featuring. Breakfasts included choices such as fried or scrambled eggs, toast & cereal. A nice touch was that the packages include as much juice/water/tea/coffee as you wish. Alcohol was available for purchase at the bar adjoining the restaurant. Afternoon teas were also a feature - we loved the little doughnuts filled with sweet bean paste.
Although we did not take a PADI diving course, we spoke to many people who did & who were unanimously pleased with the quality of the instruction & of the dive sites offered.
The resort does have an internet terminal - I cannot remember what the charge was, but it was minimal. I am pretty sure that the resort offers free wi-fi connection to guests with their own computers (check their website).
It is possible to walk to the main beach (an easy 15 minute walk), where the bulk of resorts on Pulau Redang are crowded together cheek & jowl along the length of the beach. Travellers wanting hamburgers or karaoke or lots of nightlife coould find plenty there to suit them. The beach itself is really beautiful, only marred by the stench of resorts waste water being drained into the sea.
We had a lovely restful time at Redang Kalong Resort, were enchanted by its quiet location & the great staff & would certainly love to return.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Traveling with a girlfriend, thinking that we might not enjoy this place that much since we're the minority when the rest travel in groups. But we were sooo wrong!! We had the best time of our life!
The boss, receptionist, snorkel guides and even the staff workers befriended us in no time and made us feel totally at home.
Kudos to the snorkel guide for bringing us to some awesome site, and showing us to a whole new world of marine life. Twas a great encounter with the marine life that has etched in my heart forever.
Being on the other side of the island, means that we've a private beach all for our own... and staying away from the crowds and noise... That's the reason we came to this island, to escape from the norm of city.
This resort will forever have a place in my heart, somewhere which I will come back again, be it as a traveler or as a staff. This place will be somewhere I called my second home...
Thanks to the AB, snorkel guide Tim, Angie and the rest for making the rest of my stay here enjoyable & memorable!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Jane_ying
Reviewed July 21, 2010

i stayed here twice in 2010. my first time was in may 2010 and i enjoyed myself so much that i came back and stayed at this resort again in july 2010. the service is excellent at redang kalong resort. the staff are all very helpful and friendly. land and sea transfers were done excellently without a hitch. had some problems with the safe room but it was dealt with swiftly.

the rooms with attached baths are clean and basic. the best part is the clean sheets and fluffy pillows. some hotels and resorts that claim to be more luxurious cant even provide guests with fluffy pillows! food is yummy and with one BBQ dinner.

i stayed in long beach on my first visit to redang two years ago and found it too noisy and crowded. the private beach in redang kalong is a welcome blessing. i slept soundlessly each night i was there.

snorkeling trips were well organised and safe. the resort operators that i stayed in two years ago in long beach would overload the snorkeling boats so much that i had to stand. i am glad to report that this does not happen here. staff are professional and friendly and i had a great time and spotted clown fish, baby sharks, a million colourful fishes!

i definitely recommend this resort to anyone going to pulau redang. you will not regret it! the best place to stay in pulau redang is redang kalong resort!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
#4 of 12 in Pulau Redang
Redang Derimba
Redang Derimba
#5 of 28 in Kuala Terengganu

Been to Redang Kalong Resort? Share your experiences!