“Great beach, 3 star hotel charging 5 star prices”

The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Pulau Redang
Reviewed October 23, 2010

We had 8 nights which was about 4 nights too many. (it was a special deal, pay for 4 get 4 free). The beach is beautiful with clear warm water. You can swim straight off it to go snorkeling - tons of tropical fish, which the kids loved.

The problem is that this is the only hotel on the beach and they have you hostage - charging for tennis courts, use of canoes, goggles, etc. You are also stuck with their restaurants, which are overpriced with average food. And, Rm25 for a Tiger beer !

Some tips: there is a restaurant to the right outside the front gate. They do great roti with curry sauce, fried seafood rice and noodles. We could eat there for the price of one pizza at the beach bar restaurant.

Bring your own wine/spirits. For beer, there are Chinese shops at Long Beach (where the other resorts are) where you can stock up at RM8 for a can of Tiger. It is worth doing the jungle walk to get there (takes about 1 hour - left left outside the front gate, follow the rough road to the next beach, cross the stream and walk up the left side. Find and follow the orange electrical pipe all the way)

The service is good, and the staff friendly and cheerful.

Bring your own goggles (or you can buy there). You can borrow snorkels for free. You don't need flippers

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank craig_nz
BerjayaRedang-GM, General Manager at The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2011

Firstly apologies for the late response Sir...Monsoon has been rather hectic with all the refurbishments around the property. Firstly, thanks for taking time for the review and the nice comments about the staff - sorry to hear that your vacation felt too long and rest and relaxation was not really what you seemed to want from this vacation. Regarding Chargeable activities, yes there are many, but equally there are a lot which are not and hope that you had the chance to enjoy them also. Food delighted you enjoyed the local restaurants, but am sure you would agree as other clients have noted "not for everyone" but I agree simple breads and curry are truly Malay and glad you had the chance to experience them. Beer and Wines in particular carry higher costs in Malaysia and Redang does not have the luxury of Duty Free or suppliers on our doorstep and we price as keenly as we can at RM16-21. Many thanks again for the overview. Regards Karen

Reviewed October 13, 2010

I must commend Berjaya Redang Resort for the well-trained, friendly and helpful staff. They are absolutely fantastic.
Cleanliness, hotel designs, rooms' cleanliness, facilities are all well-maintained.
However, everything about this resort is money - playing a game of pool costs RM 4, using the business center to check mails costs RM 5 for a 15-minute session (there is only one computer available).
There is a reading room, with a small library where books, magazines are avilable for reading or lending during stay. However, the magazines are old (meaning outdated), dog-eared.
Other than the resort itself, there is nothing much to do beyond the grounds of the resort. If you only want to lie and get a tan in the sun, sleep, eat & drink and just laze around, the beach is white powdery sand, with nice beautiful sun benches.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
BerjayaRedang-GM, General Manager at The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2010

Dear Guest, many thanks for the commendations about the property and staff and sorry to hear that chill out life on resort does not seem to be the type of vacation you were looking for. There are many complimentary activities on the resort, from board games to the use of safety vests while swimming and unlike many hotels and resorts our internet WIFI is complimentary 24hours a day. There are three laptops and one PC for guest to hire to check mails if they have chosen not to bring their own and we charge for these to ensure they are available to more than one guest and to cover use and subsequent damage (which sadly happens). The library is a sadly a personal disappointment as i have hand picked and carried back from KL a lot of the books over this season ....only to find them "missing" a short time later. For next year we are working on a more secure service to allow all guest to enjoy these facilities. Should you decide in the future that a lazy holiday in the sun is for you, then we look forward to welcoming you back. warm regards, Karen and team.

Reviewed October 10, 2010

This s a reminder to all who do not want to have their holidays spoiled due to one's carelessness.

This was what happened to both my husband and I when we were there from Septemebr 26-30. On the 2nd morning, we were so excited to go down to the beach to enjoy our swim that we had forgotten to lock the safe where we placed our cash, both S$ and RM. By the time, we came back in the late afternoon, my husband realised that the safe was not locked though the door was closed. But I i told him not to worry 'cos I was very confident that Malaysians are very honest people and there was no need to worry about losing anything in the room. This statement came about because we had stayed in many hotels within the Berjaya Group in Malaysia and had never encountered any losses in the room. So my husband and I did not count the cash in the safe.

However, the next morning, when I look into my wallet, I realised that one piece of my S$50 was missing. When I told my husband about it, he checked his stack of Ringgits and found two pieces of RM50 were missing.

We went down to the Reception to report the matter to a staff member who then told us that she will call us later. However, we told her that we will be going to the beach and be back to the room in the later part of the day. We did not hear from her since then.

On the morning of 29th September, we approached the Receptionist to find out on the outcome fo the investigation. I was taken aback when she told me that she tried calling us on the same day but we were not in the room. I reminded her that we did mentioned that we will not be in almost the whole day. After that she called the Security to take a statement from us. By then, we were already so fed-up with her attitude that we decided not to pursue the matter. So we told the Chief Security that we do not wish to make a police report since it is only a small amount. We hope that they could do something about the security in the hotel so that other guests will not have faced a similiar experience.

I had related this experience in the Feedback Form and handed it to the Recepion after we checked out but I did not hear from the hotel since then. I guessed the management is not really bothered about such feedback. They probably they only want to hear nice things from their guests instead.

Apart from that bad experience, both and my husband had a wonderful holiday, basking under the SUN' on the white SAND and swmming in the clear SEA water. We will definately come back next year and be more careful this time with our belongings.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
BerjayaRedang-GM, General Manager at The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2010

Dear Guest, firstly apologies, i don't recall receiving your feedback form - otherwise I would have responded personally. I and We as a company take very seriously incident of all natures which happen to our guests and am sorry for upset you felt during your stay. However, I feel it wise to point out to all guests staying in Hotels (including myself) that unless it can be proven that it is staff (or indeed another guest) there is very little a hotel can do. Hotels can carry out internal investigations, but unless witness's or proof is produced employee's of any business are protected by law. That is probably why the Security officer suggested he accompany you to complete a Police Report - otherwise there is very little legally that can be done under (in this case) Malaysian Law. It is always in the interest of any hotel to remove thieves from their employment - but it can only be done with the help of the guests. I am glad to say that Redang is thankfully a little different than most city hotels and because we are the primary source of employment (and if they are found guilty and dismissed - they are unlikely to find any alternative employment) we have very few incidents and the ones ones we do generally result in items being misplaced and subsequently found by the guest. However I take your comments very seriously and will try to remind guest's further in our room information to ensure their personal valuables are secure. If I can help further, please do not hesitate to contact me at the property. warm regards, Karen

Reviewed October 6, 2010

We traveled to Berjaya Redang Resort with our 15 month old granddaughter, her parents and her other grandmother. We were there for two nights and it was wonderful. Very peaceful. Very clean. Very beautiful. Our rooms were not right on the beach but a golf cart came to get us immediately to transport us to and from the beach. The beach was incredible. The water was so clear. The snorkling was wonderful. The only two things that were disappointing were the cocktails were weak = very little alcohol and the opportunities for fishing expeditions were limited and too expensive. The food was very good. The staff were very, very courteous and eager to please. Put this destination at the top of your "wanna do" list!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family

Dear Guest, delighted we pleased everyone on the vacation - especially with the baby - I know it's not easy! Thank you for the compliments about food and service and I have noted the cocktails - most of which are based on UK measures but as I have a new senior Cocktail Bartender we are actually reviewing all beverages including cocktails and will try to cater for more European tastes. The fishing excursions have been noted,but in terms of costing due to fishing exclusions around Redang in terms of Nautical Miles, may not be able to reduce further but will certainly review for the next season. Thank you for taking the photo of my beach swing (you would not believe the efforts that went into getting these done - but finally we have three, with the addition of some Malay Bale's being currently added to compliment the new look of the property for 2011. I do hope you get the chance to visit us again in the near future. Warm regards, Karen

Reviewed September 26, 2010

Came back from 11 days Berjaya Redang about two weeks ago, but the three of us still have a smile on our faces. My three yr old gave me his whole savings (2 euro) and requested to book another holiday in Berjaya Redang (it's true!) asap. We do not have any complaints about previous resorts and island we have spend our holidays (Thailand 4x, Malaysia 3x, Maledives 4x) but Berjaya Redang is simply the best!!!!

Good food (sometimes excellent, especially the reef fish of the day) in all restaurants, stunning beach, great swimming pool, lots of tropical fishes, ok coral, lots of turtles, great view from room (no difficulties to change room to even a better view), beautiful spa, gardens and gym.

Can go on and on about all things great, but will limit myself to thanking the whole staff for making our stay memorable.

And thanx for the sambal (and recipe)!!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
BerjayaRedang-GM, General Manager at The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2010

Thank you. I have a smile on my face just writing this response as this is exactly the experience is my long term goal for this property "memorable experiences". I really am delighted as it was still a little "busy" when you were here, so it's reassuring to know that our downsizing will make this even more memorable in the future. I can't promise it will only be 2 Euros, but will make it up to that gorgeous shy little boy if he comes back. : ) Please feel free to contact me directly as you already have my card. warm regards and thanks for choosing to stay with us. Karen & team.

Reviewed September 8, 2010

There are loads of thorough reviews on Berjaya Redang so will try to keep this short. Ultimately we thought that the beach was absolutely beautiful, but not quite sure why it cost so much. We paid roughly $250USD per night for poor service and nothing too stellar about the rooms or food. Any of the following complaints are only listed due to the high cost of the resort. Had it been moderately priced none of this would have been a problem. When paying luxury prices you expect luxury service and, despite the friendliness of the staff, they just didn't deliver.

Rooms: Large, but basic. Nothing special. Most of the time spent should be on the beach anyway, but for the price I would expect some art on the walls, bathrobes, maybe even some flowers.

Dive Center: Faizan our divemaster was great. We had two nice dives while there. Equipment in good condition.

Beach: Beautiful. Nice water, clean, good snorkeling by the rocks. Always had a place to sit out and towels available. Service to our seats was nice, but maybe someone to check and see if we wanted another drink would have been nice. Surprised how quiet and relaxing it was despite the amount of people and children present.

Beach Bar: Pizza was good, drinks were horrible. Staff didn't know how to make a margarita. I know that Muslims don't drink, but if they can't make drinks right they shouldn't be on the menu or the staff needs to be trained better. Canned beer was the way to go.

F&B service: Just a mess. Staff needs some serious training and management as mentioned in another review. We seemed to never have the same server. Dishes were never promptly cleared which proved to be a mess during the morning buffet rush. One night we sat and waited for drinks and starters for over 15 minutes. We could never get refills on our coffee in the morning, maybe need a self-serve station? Food at the buffet/Palms was OK but nothing to write home about. Had dinner at the two local places three nights in a row for very cheap and delicious meals.

We are really happy that Karen writes back to these reviews. It is obvious that she and the rest of the staff really respect the TA reviews. We applaud you for hiring local staff and we understand there is a misunderstanding of international expectations. We hope that you can bring the staff up to speed quickly to really turn Berjaya Redang into an amazing place. Until then maybe throw in free wifi or a spa certificate! :)

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tinababes

Thanks for the compliment and yes, I do take TA seriously - hence i respond personally to the reviews my name is attached to. However, the one thing i have learned in 25 years in this business is every quest expectation is different and no matter what you present the experience is personal to holder. The East Coast of Malaysia - especially the island is vastly different from the main drag and i have to stay focused on what we have improved and achieved in the last year of me being here and what we will achieve in the future. All your points are valid, but value for money in indicative as you pointed of expectation and reality. Am not sure which room type was booked, but all new rooms all have bespoke B&W photography of Redang in the rooms and Wifi is complimentary in all public areas and can be accessed in most rooms also. Due to the coconut tree interference - underground cabling has to be laid, but obviously can only be done when the resort is closed for the last refurb this year. By the time we open in 2011 - Redang will have a new feel and be smaller as we are reducing the rooms to about 150. The Spa is a sister property, but perhaps we can talk to them to consider a voucher or discount as they will also be increasing in size with a new look. I hope you will come back and see us and please feel free to contact me personally. best Karen

Reviewed September 6, 2010

6 days (15-20 Aug 10) at the Berjaya Redang Beach Resort with my family, my four brothers and their families and our mom & dad. Awesome time. Booked Seaview but upon check-in was upgraded to premier suites with Jacuzzi and living room next to our kids’ room. Our families were scattered from Hillview to Garden Suite.

Incredible scenery from flower gardens to beach and the unique layouts.

Dive/Snorkel services-excellent price with quality services. Snorkeling was much better. Various reef systems, incredible colours.

Spa-excellent price with quality services.

Food-Breakfast excellent with various menus, European/N. American/Asian. Best Pizza I had so far at the Bayu Bar for lunch.

Beach-screen saver quality-saw green turtles on the right side, huge amount of fish near the rocks on the left side and their own coral reef.

Gym-excellent for basic weights/resistance training. Running-asphalt to airport (10 mins) or trail running to long beach (20 mins).

Coral Reefs-unbelievable compared to Mayan Riviera/Cozumel/Red Sea/DR/CR.

Points to Improve:
Need to brief the guests not to feed the fish with bread/banana incl your snorkel staff. Long term concern with Marine life;
Dinner at Palms and Beach Restaurant- N. American prices with low quality service and flavour. Staff should remember that the customers are always right and women are treated equally as men;
Your staff meant well but language/understanding issues did happen, part of it has to do with fasting. Anyone on low blood sugar will have problems;
Putting towels on sun beds at 0645 by certain European nation is ridiculous but when in Rome; and
Throwing cigarette butts onto the beach is unsat, require a brief to the guests upon check-in. Smokers everywhere.

Options available:
Three good restaurants outside the resort, furthest being max 15 mins walk. Excellent prices, lots of fresh seafood, speak English; and
Walk to Long Beach max 1 hour that’s with kids being curious and taking pictures. You can buy beer at the grocery store for 6-7 RM each. Take a water taxi back. About 13 or more hotels/Resorts on Long Beach, not as clean as Berjaya. Good party spot with live bands.

The best resort/place we been so far. Enjoy it before it would disappear like many other places because of greed/ignorance.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank GalavantingJeff

Am delighted all the family had a great time (young and young at heart!) Thanks for all the positive comments and rest assured our direction has changed over the last year to truly work on the support of the eco awareness aspect of the resort, but am afraid this is a relatively "new concept" to the East Coast of Malaysia and will certainly take time to develop all the necessary Government and Local Officials to be on "Green Globe" inspired awareness programmes. Berjaya Group (not only Redang are quite active in this and heavily (for many years) have supported financially and personally operations such as the Sea Turtle conservation on Redang as well as a few weeks ago RICD (Redang Island Clean Up) in conjunction with PADI and varios other Marine Conservation groups. The Divers collected over 200 Crown of Thorns Starfish as well as the Land team (inc my sun burnt self) nearly 50 trash bags of synthetic debris washed up on our land. We believe in and are committed as much as we can to such programmes. The guest who smoke and throw their butts on the ground (usually 30 cm from a cigarette bin) - please feel free to ask as i do for them to pick it up - as a child may stand on the hot butt and burn themselves. The loungers - more difficult, but am working solutions for next season for this particular nationality. As a female in my position - I can possibly understand the issues you may have faced and rest assured a more multi-national team is being worked on currently and for the next season. Thanks for staying with us and i am delighted the "magic" of this area of Redang worked on you. Regards, Karen and team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pulau Redang
#5 of 27 in Kuala Terengganu
BuBu Long Beach Resort
BuBu Long Beach Resort
#1 of 7 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil

Been to The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!