“Best snorkeling trip with pristine beach and water”

The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Pulau Redang
Singapore
“Best snorkeling trip with pristine beach and water”
Reviewed June 24, 2010

Went to Berjaya Redang Beach Resort for a long weekend. It offered great snorkeling. The resort had a beautiful private beach with powder like sand, turquoise water and plentiful fish. There were lots of water activities too even if you were not a great swimmer. It is only one hour flight from Singapore. The hotel was recently renovated so everything looked new. Great place for all ages.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
BerjayaRedang-GM, General Manager at The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 23, 2010
Thank you so much for the compliments and delighted you liked the beach and the new look for the property, which will be part of our ongoing resort development programme. Next time, feel free to talk to the Recreation team about swimming lessons - these are something proving quite popular with some of our guests and can be done one on one or in a group. Believe me some of my non-swimming managers have tried it and it has proved a great success! Hope to welcome you back in the near future as you are so close with being just over an hour away. warm regards Karen & team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 22, 2010

I just returned from Berjaya Redang Beach Resort after a two night stay. I decided to join my extended family for the trip sometime last month. We were a family of 20, and they had already booked four garden suites. I called the Berjaya agent and was told that there were fully booked. I checked the Trip Advisor search engine and was able to secure a Hillview room for three adults via Hotels.com. I called Hotels.com and was directed to their Malaysian office. They in turn called the resort and confirmed a booking for a Hillview room for 3 adults with three single beds. This was the last room available.

I arrived at the resort on 19 June 2010, together with my extended family. The check-in process was initially pleasant. However, I soon discovered that I was booked for 2 adults despite the confirmation letter from Hotels.com for 3 adults. I highlighted this to Ms Faezah, the customer service officer at Berjaya Redang Beach Resort.

She checked with her assistant manager and the Kuala Lumpur reservations office. She was adamant that the booking was for two adults and not three, despite the booking confirmation letter clearly stating that the booking was for three adults. She also asked for payment should an extra bed be required. The general manager, Ms Karen Merrick, who had written extensively on this site, was nowhere to be seen or heard.

I requested a letter from Berjaya Redang Beach Resort stating that they declined to honour the booking made through Hotels.com for three adults, and that the booking was for two adults and not three as stated in Hotels.com’s confirmation letter. I can then approach Hotels.com directly for an explanation once I received official confirmation that the dishonesty was indeed with Hotels.com. Ms Faezah said that this would not be a problem and the letter would be sent to my room.

Two nights elapsed and there was no letter despite my reminders. Ms Faezah approached me just before I boarded the hotel bus to the airport. She told me that she confirmed with her Berjaya Kuala Lumpur office and she was not authorised to issue any letter.

I found this highly astonishing as I wanted a simple letter of stating the claims as proposed by Berjaya Redang Beach Resort:
Claim 1: They did not received any confirmation letter from Hotels.com for a customer for a booking for 3 adults
Claim 2: Hotels.com did not book for 3 adults but booked for 2 adults instead.

There is obvious dishonesty and cheating. I gave Berjaya Redang Beach Resort the benefit of the doubt as they were initially willing to put in writing that the dishonesty was on the part of Hotels.com. However, their sudden refusal to put in writing what they claimed, that Hotels.com was dishonest, puts things in a different perspective.

It patently obvious that Berjaya and their management are simply dishonest. I asked Ms Faezah in front of her staff what her thoughts would be if she was in my position. Her honest (sic) reply was same as yours.

The irony of it all was there was a spare bed in the corridor just outside my room during my entire two night stay, folded up and unused. This episode marred what would have been an otherwise excellent stay at Redang.

Berjaya Redang Beach Resort:
5 Star Rating – definitely not
Customer Service – a big zero
Honesty and Integrity – negative marks

14 Thank Tay8
BerjayaRedang-GM, General Manager at The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, June 25, 2010
Dear Sir, Appreciate your acceptance of my apology on behalf of the property in the way your third party booking information was handled at the property, as mentioned there was no need to cause unnecessary frustration when the issue was with the agent and ourselves - this part was totally our fault and we can only try to do better in the future. Thank you again for the understanding that there was no 'dishonesty' intended by the hotel or the agent and rest assured dialogue has been opened again to ensure details of guest bookings and internal correspondence match and are actioned accordingly. Again I am sorry that it marred slightly your otherwise excellent vacation at Berjaya Redang, which yes one day we hope will be a 5 star hotel.
Singapore
Reviewed June 17, 2010

I have been to many beaches in Thailand and Malaysia, including Phuket, Koh Samui, Krabi, Langkawi, Tioman, Pulau Perhentian, Pulau Besar, Pulau Rawa, Pulau Sapi (Kota Kinabalu). I have also been to Redang on the Superstar Virgo cruise ship and visited the beach at Laguna Resort. That beach is not as good as the beach at Berjaya resort.

The beach here is pristine and beautiful, it is one of the best beaches I have visited. This beach is second only to the stunning Koh Hong off Krabi.

We stayed in a one bedroom deluxe garden suite which is spacious, clean and well designed. But it is not as luxurious as some of the 5 star hotels that I have stayed in. Check out my blog to see more photos :

The western food in the resort is fine, even the Japanese food is good. But the local food like chicken rice is very bad, and the prices are ridiculous. They should employ the cook from the restaurant right outside of the hotel entrance. That restaurant serves very delicious food at reasonable prices. I am surprised that the resort does not care to cater to Asian guests who are non-Japanese, when I was there about 90% of the guests were from Singapore or Malaysia.

Another major problem is that the telephone line was down and I could not make any local calls or international calls. Since the resort is very isolated, I could not buy any local phone cards outside. When I asked the hotel staff whether they sell any phone cards, they pretended that they did not understand what I was talking about. I was not able to call home to speak to my hubby for the entire 4 days of our trip. I advise all guests planning to stay at this resort to bring a handphone that can work in Malaysia.

Other than the above problems, everything else is fine. I can tell that the staff is working very hard, but the restaurant was seriously understaff when full of guests like on a Sunday morning, so it is a management problem. I paid about RM1200 for the garden suite, though it was not exactly value for money, I had no complaints about the suite and the location. Honestly, if not for the restaurants outside of the hotel serving decent food, I would not return to the resort. If they fixed the problem about the food, then everything would be perfect.

2 Thank Rosamund
Thank you again for the compliments and delighted you found the beach to be beautiful. I'm afraid I am at a loss about the phones being down for so long? We did have an issue with Malaysia Telekom and some issue with their relay coverage along the coast of Terengganu, but as far as recall this was for a maximum of six hours or so? For phone cards the village carries most useable Malaysia phone cards and if you the call was urgent to call home, you would have been more than welcome to use one of our managers or even my own cell phone - would have been happy to help. Glad you found the local village restaurants good value and quality for your family and taste and thank you for your comments, as you can imagine difficult to please all nationalities but we will as always strive to please all our customers.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 12, 2010

This was a great holiday with our young son. The beach had the whitest sand and the warmest sea water I have ever experienced. The surf was not rough so we could easily swim and/or bob in the water with the baby. There were lots of thatched roof cabanas on the beach that shade could be found if wanted.

Our one bedroom cabin was beautiful and clean and cool. Loved the huge bathroom with walk-in shower. The king bed was incredibly cozy.

Service was slower than should be. As one woman explained, she began by counting down from 20 but after a few days changed this to 100. Don't think this was as much a reflection of the resort itself but more of island life.

Staff were very accomodating when we requested high-chairs, microwaving to reheat baby food and didn't seem to mind the toddler running underfood and the occasion food being thrown.

Just outside the resort were 2-3 local restaurants that had great and very inexpensive food available for eat-in or take-away. But unlike the resort these places do not sell beer or alcohol but do welcome BYO.

We'll remember the blue turquoise waters and white sand for a long time.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank travel_fry
Delighted you found our little bit of paradise good enough to recharge the batteries for you and the family. Island Life…… and trying to develop a culture of change and adaptability to meet the needs of International Customers when there is no similar benchmark is always a challenge, so thank you for your understanding on this point – along with the English classes, International Customer Service Standards is quite a new experience for most of our team here.
I think anyone who has lived in a non city location in Asia, would be able to identify. Delighted your little one seemed to have as good a time and I hope you managed to get at least some time off “Parent Duty” . Many thanks for taking the time to review.
England, United kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2010

The redang resort was an excellent resort as the staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. The accommodation was very good and the food was excellent and very healthy.
The facilities on the island very very good and the location was excellent and you were able to relax and enjoy the island and its full beauty and the environment in which its set in. There are lots of things to do on the island ie, water sports, therapy's ie, massages.
The beautiful beaches and its well worth the trip just to enjoy the beautiful island of redang. Again the staff make the resort as they are the most welcoming people you could wish to meet.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed June 6, 2010

Just spent 6 nights here and loved every minute of it. The staff just don't stop smiling and they are genuine also. We decided to start our holiday here for 6 nights and it is the perfect place to do absolutely nothing but relax. Rooms were large and huge bath and sliding doors so you could sit in the bath and see the view also. Lay in the sun (plenty of deck chairs both on the beach and beside the pool) (towels also supplied down there), water at beach so warm, snorkling was good and even saw a turtle. Swim round to next bay and enjoy a long white sand deserted beach. Enough choices of restaurants to dine at or you can walk 5 mins and try the very basic local ones. We tried 2 and food was cheap and excellent.
One road, 1 airport and I think 2 resorts from the road and a couole of others by boat but this was the best.
Dont come to Redang if you want to shop as no shops. Yes NONE . You can dive, go on boat trips or snorkel or rest. It was heaven. Breakfast supplied each mor ing and so much to choose from. I would give this resort a 10/10.
Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank sweetpeapb1
BerjayaRedang-GM, General Manager at The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 20, 2010
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to review the property and really delighted our hard work the season has paid off and you had a wonderful time...I really hope we can see you back on the property one day to see all the other improvements we are planning. Just one note, The review you have written is attached to Berjaya Spa Resort, but as this resort has been non operational for a few years now, I presume from the pictures also attached that you meant to attach the review to our Berjaya Redang Resort? I am sorry for the confusion and as one day we may decide to re-open the Spa Resort I can not remove it from the listing. If not too much trouble, could i ask you to request the review to be routed to Berjaya Redang Resort. Many thanks and please do not hesitate to contact me personally if i can help further. With warm regards and thanks, Karen and team.
England
Reviewed June 4, 2010

We have been to Berjaya hotels in Tioman and Langkawi and would rate these 2.5 / 5. Berjaya Redang is more expensive so we were hoping for better things, we were not disappointed. Obvious that this is the jewel in the Berjaya crown, management have their act together and so does the Chief butler Wan who gave us a private transfer and in room check in (nice touch!) but we did pay up a little for the premier rooms (worth it). The website doesn't do the beach justice in that it is possible to snorkel off the private beach and they even have a pontoon fixed right next to the "house reef". Snorkelling here was great and convenient and I would argue better then turtle bay where we went on a snorkel trip. It is also possible to see turtles on the Berjaya beach where we saw 5 turtles on our "Turtle Trip" not really worth 60 MYR an adult tho.

Food...Breakfast and dinner buffets offer good quality and variety. Grumbles would be in room dining variety could be a lot better (especially for vegetarians), 9MYR for a large bottle of water is too pricey so walk out the front gate and get them for 3MYR from the restaurant/shop just outside the hotel. Also like in many parts of Malaysia booze is $$$, 20 MYR for a beer and the shops nearby don't sell, so pack a bottle of wine / spirits.

Room...Great view of the bay, nice bath / shower etc, grumble is our room was interconnected so at the mercy of your neighbours.

Service..... ok service is patchy and can be slow in clearing plates etc, but common Malaysia is no worse then many in Asia and you're on vacation, so chill and expect slowness.

Value....ok it's expensive but I think the premier rooms are worth the extra for the views alone. I've been to many beaches / resorts in Asia and this may rank as my favourite.

Diving / snorkelling.... 8.30am start for a 2 dive (back about 1 ish), and afternoon dive 2.30pm for 1 dive daily. Cost is about 120MYR per dive. Kamal is a good dive master and the boat and ease of diving here is a big draw. Grumble would be having to pay additionally on top of equipment hire for a wetsuit (ok you dont need one for warmth, but you ever had a coral cut?).

4.5 out of 5. Would definately visit here again, sooner rather than later but price is a consideration.

Redang should consider steps similar to those taken in the Sipidan area to protect marine life and coral reefs, there is evidence of damage and this will only worsen if it's not properly protected.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
#4 of 12 in Pulau Redang
Arwana Perhentian Resort
Arwana Perhentian Resort
#8 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar

Been to The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!