“Like a postcard”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Pulau Redang
Sydney, Australia
“Like a postcard”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We spent 3 nights here on our honeymoon in April, The Taaras was our luxury part of our trip - we did a one night stop over at The Sutra Beach resort in TGG before getting a boat transfer over, that was about $60 a night - so we had high expectations.

We had a hill deluxe room, it's spacious, the bathroom is very big and it has a large glass window between the bathroom and the bedroom. I'm not sure what the point of that is though, we had to put the blind down when one of us was doing a poo. The room wasn't spectacular but we didn't book here to stay in our room, so it wasn't a priority for us. The Hill rooms are a bit of a walk from the beach, pool, lobby but if that bothers you, you can get ferried in the little golf carts. It's about a 2 minute walk so not the end of the world.

The main reason to stay here is the beach, it was amazing. White sand, 3 different shades of crystal blue water, no waves, very peaceful. There are a good amount of sun beds and umbrellas but I could imagine it peak times, these would go quickly. We stayed in late April/May and had perfect weather and it didn't seem busy at all. We read a lot of reviews about Chinese tourists taking over the resort, their set time breakfasts, snorkelling tours and lunch making the resort seem busy but I didn't see any of that at all. We booked a snorkelling tour the same day, went out with a group of about 12 to a reef only a few minutes away. For an hour I think it cost us about 60 RM each. There are half day, full day tours.

In general, food, service, amenities are all good but nothing amazing, Drinks and food always seemed to take a decent amount of time to come, the breakfast was the standard buffet but I gave up on poached eggs as they couldn't actually get them right. Not like I'm being picky and they were overdone, as in a puddle of water and yolk. Dinner was ok, a limited malaysian menu with a few western dishes. There is a very authentic restaurant right at the door step of the Taaras, a bus full of locals came and ate which is a good sign. It was very cheap and we enjoyed everything but don't go there if you only like fine dining, it's a very basic set up and I know some would turn their nose up at it.

I did have a bit of trouble organising my ferry transfer with the hotel, I was getting different responses about getting the public ferry vs their privately organised ones. We ended up getting it sorted the day before and were picked up at the jetty, which you'll need to get a taxi too and make sure you go to the right jetty and have cash on you, there are not bank machines around. The public ferry back was much less comfortable, quite packed but someone from the ferry did show us to a seat downstairs. If you can time your connecting flight to land in TGG early, you should have enough time to go straight to the jetty. We did a one night stop over to avoid the stress but there is little to do in TGG.

If you're unlucky with the weather, there isn't much to do on this island. Everything revolves around the beach, snorkelling and diving so it would be a risk going in the off seasons. Only head here if you want to relax on a beach, snorkel or dive.

Room Tip: If you can afford the villas, they are right on the beach and some with ocean views. The sea view ro...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sootykingjr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We spent 4 days here during a 2 week trip to Malaysia and had a fantastic stay at the Taaras resort. From start to finish the stay was smooth and enjoyable. The staff were incredibly friendly throughout the resort and always went out of their way to help you. The food was good - we had the breakfast buffet which had sufficient choice and then used the ala carte menu for lunch and dinner. Considering it was a 5 star hotel we though the food prices were very reasonable - between £4.50 and £8 for most dishes, and the portions were very generous and we didn't have one bad meal. Would definitely recommend the Island chicken curry and the fish tikka!

The room was well equipped, large and always clean - the bathroom was a fantastic size. we stayed in a garden suite - only small gripe was the view was poor, but you pay more the beach views.

The beach was beautiful - white sand and the clearest blue sea, plus you only needed to swim a short distance to see all the amazing fishes, was incredible.

Last thing - my partner had an allergic reaction and the doctor on site was very helpful and was able to see him and prescribe him some medication.

Would definitely recommend for a short break - wish i was there now!!

Room Tip: we had a garden suite and room itself was lovely, but better views with beach view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer M
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Stayed at Garden Suite for 4 days between 25th to 28th May.
Love the nature in the Resort - trees, plants, a nice stream with many tadpoles in them, an occasional monitor lizard, birds singing and nice sunshine.
Love the big bathroom.
Love the fact the resort is not crowded. There 's probably 7 to 8 tables during meals. The food is really okay. The beach brassiere serves nice food. Contrary to what some reviewers say about cheaper food outside the resort, we tried 2 places "canteens" outside the resort but quality is bad.
Love that the staff is friendly who helped us to change rooms when bathroom heater is not working.
Love the beautiful beach.
Love the gymn overlooking the blue ocean. We were there 2 mornings and there were only 2 of us there. Guess everyone prefers to exercise out at sea.

Irritated By :
Musty room smell which we figured it came from the airconditioner
Poor food outside the resort.

Will be a nice resort to take children to stay as it is spacious and has a nice clean beach. If you like quiet stay and away from everything else, this will be a good place.

Room Tip: Garden suites are near to pool, beach and meals and everything else.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank greenscape
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed June 17, 2014

As I arrived at the hotel, I was really impressed with the colour of the sea. It's turquoise blue colour and it was so clear that you can see all the way to the bottom and my first thought is that "we are gonna have a great holiday in this tropical paradise". We signed up for the sea view room which is one of the 4 storey apartment buildings on the cliff and a bit of a walk to the beach front. It's not the most expensive room available but we got the view of the bay and the open water from above and I must admit that the room was impressive. The open studio concept with living quarter must be commended. We stayed in other expensive hotels before like the Pangkor Laut resort but this room's architecture and functionality easily top it. It was also very well maintain and I especially love the bath tub with a view of the sandy beach and the open sea. I personally would give the room a 5 star.

The staffs are also very helpful, always smiling, friendly and very attentive to your need all the way from the guards to the managers. They are very easy to talk to and also always helpful to give you some advice on the island and its surrounding. I was especially impressed with our diving instructor, Mr. Alee (if I'm not mistaken) as well as Pak Uda. If there's any comment for improvement, I just hope that the manager will ask some of their staffs to give a little extra attention on the body hygiene (it was really hot and some do have B.O - especially the buggy drivers).

We didn't sign up for the full package which from what we heard is a blessing in disguise. We did try their Fried Rice and Steak Sandwich for lunch and it was not good. But fear not as most hotels which are not in the city centre suffered from the same issue. We can say the same about Pangkor Laut and some resorts in Bali and we thought of this issue when we decided not to take the full package. The good news is that there are a few good local restaurants within walking distance from the hotel. The seafood was as fresh as it can get, the local food like fried rice and noodles are good and they also cater for some western selection on their menus. One of the restaurant is just outside the main gate (called Aima Grill house) so it wasn't an issue to us and we would recommend anyone going to the resort to give it a try. You can also ask the buggy driver to send you all the way to the guard house if you are too tired to walk. In the desperation of looking for better food, we also made few new friends from Holland and some of the local people and it enriches our experience.

In all, we had a great time snorkeling, sun tanning, swimming, diving and getting to know the island a little bit better. For the first timers, I'm sure they will be impressed with the clarity of the sea and it's amazing colour!!

Room Tip: The sea view room is superbly located just next to the gym. Your neighbour is the RM25k a night bung...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Macy7470
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Beautiful waters, friendly staff but I will not go back again. I can make do with the over-priced food, with no water supply on the morning we were supposed to check out; but the sand flies on the beach were a complete turn off. Every single one of us was bitten. My husband and I had over 50 bites on each of us. Almost all the guests we saw had visible bites on them. Generally, the bites are really itchy and they leave a mark for a long time, especially if you scratch them. We were told by the management that the beach is treated weekly for sand flies but obviously it did not work. The sand flies had totally ruined our holiday. Please remember to bring plenty of insect repellent if you are considering Taaras.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Traceyinsin
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We stayed in this resort early of Jun for 3 nights, we bought their package including domestic flight from KL, room and meals. Honestly as this is the No.1 rating resort in Redang island, their charge is also very high. However we thought it was not worth to pay to them.

The beach is fantanstic as of its location, it is quite and beautiful. We love its hardware except their service quality, food, and awareness for improvement as a 5stars resort. There are only 2 restaurants. Almost all meals are in one buffet restaurant, food taste are bad and not much choices. Most of their staffs know very limited even about the basic facilities inside the resort, charges for activities etc., then most of them told us that they are just trainee there, it is ridicious!

I have no expectation on their improvement as I could see more or less similar reviews from other travellers however seems the management of the resort careless on its improvement and customer's comments on them. Instead, I could see their online promotion flooding everywhere. I do wish they can have particular improvement especially on their service quality, otherwise it is just a wastage of such a fantanstic beach!

• Stayed June 2014
6 Thank ronnyeung
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I wanted to do some photo shoots of beach and I heard that this resort has a private beach so therefore I choose to booked it. I was not disappointed with such a awesome view and was able to do lots of photo taking during my stay here. Food wise was good for me (though I read the review saying it's pretty bad and expensive, etc), Breakfast Spread were almost the same everyday but it's alright for me. Their salad were fresh, fruits are sweet and they have freshly squeezed juices at the drinks bar. If you are on a budget for food, there is a restaurant just outside the hotel (5mins walk), however they only accept cash.

Services are exceptionally good, it is mostly like what other reviewers had mentioned; the staff greets everyone, warmly welcomed upon arrival, etc. However, just a little disappointed when I asked for extra bath foam 2 times to be send to my room, they did not process my request. My room was upgraded from Garden Deluxe Room to Hill view Deluxe Room, but I was given the lowest floor, so my room does not have a good view ( I guess this place is more for couples, so if it's couples they may provide a better view from the room, too bad I was travelling with friends).

I did spa/massage in the resort, the best that I ever had. Though a little pricy, it's worth the amount. Spa was really relaxing and zen, I love their ambience inside the spa room, very cozy and comforting.

Overall, I really like my stay here, though I was a little disappointed with the room's view, other than that it's really worth your stay here, best beach view which will never disappoint you.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
#5 of 12 in Pulau Redang
Arwana Perhentian Resort
Arwana Perhentian Resort
#8 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar

Been to The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!