The resort is gorgeous and the beach even more so. We had adjoining suites on the cliff overlooking the beach (free upgrade -thank you, Taaras!) and the view was to die for. The suites were beautiful and extremely well appointed although a bit far from the main buildings which necessitated calls to reception for them to send a buggy to pick us up whenever we needed to leave the rooms (my daughter had a foot injury and couldn't do long walks especially up or downhill).
The resort has undergone not just a name and management change but seemingly a complete overhaul. Service was very good although it was often difficult to find serving staff to attend to you in the buffet restaurant. They seemed to spend most of their time in the kitchen or elsewhere.
Food: for the quality (ok to good) and the variety (lots of Asian, not enough Western) it was way too pricey and not what I would consider 5star. We only ate the buffet because although a friend recommended the beach restaurant, that was even pricier. I would say this was one area that was not 5 star quality.
The reason I've given a rating of 'very good' and not 'excellent' is because in addition to the food there were a few little things that took away from the experience slightly and detracted from the expected quality.
Sometimes it seemed like they just didn't have enough staff to do the needful and things looked sloppy. Dirty room service dishes sat outside rooms for days; no one removed dirty dishes and used towels from beach loungers even though it was pretty obvious that the users were long gone.
All in all it was a wonderful resort. The front office manager was brilliant. I would love to return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ‘The Taaras’ is a bespoke Private Beach Residence, tucked away and hidden from the outside world on a small Island found just off the unspoilt East Coast of tropical Malaysia. Considered to be one of the most beautiful Island locations in the South China Sea, the Isle of Redang is home to our natural, yet stylish resort found on one of the most spectacular bays surrounded by one of the bluest oceans on earth. The resorts ethos is to provide a contemporary, barefoot luxury experience with warm Asian hospitality, remembered with a smile long into the future. The name of the property is derived from the Sanskrit word ‘TAARA’, meaning ‘Star or Apple of my eye’ as well as ‘Goddess of the Sea’ which are all represented and epitomised by our mermaid figurehead. The resort is managed by The Taaras Luxury Group, and was formerly known as Berjaya Redang Resort managed by Berjaya Hotels and Resorts. With the stylish suites and rooms, as well as a stunning five bedroom Private Villa perched high up on the cliff overlooking the ocean and resort below. The resort boasts commissioned furniture and bespoke photography of Redang Island and the landscapes of Malaysia. Each suite or room contains oversized beds and hand-picked linens and fabrics for your comfort. Most rooms and all suites have larger washrooms containing both bath tub and separate rain or monsoon shower (some with spa bathtubs looking out over the rainforest or the bay). Most residences have an outdoor balcony or verandah and our suites at the top of the cliff summit have spectacular views over the beach and ocean below. For clients who prefer or require further privacy ‘The Cliff Private Villa Bay & Sea View’, our private five bedroom residence perched high up on the cliff more than meets the requirements; private access, a Villa Host at your ‘beck and call’ as well as twenty four hour security; should it be a necessary requirement. The residence also enjoys a sixteen meter Infinity swimming pool, personal fitness room and both interior and exterior lounge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Berjaya Redang Resort - Malaysia Hotel Pulau Redang
- Berjaya Redang Beach Hotel
- Berjaya Redang Beach Resort
- Hotel Berjaya Redang Beach