“My first stay at a remote island resort.”

Sari Pacifica Hotel, Resort & Spa - Redang Island
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Pulau Redang
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“My first stay at a remote island resort.”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I was not sure what to expect when I booked a holiday at Redang, firstly I expected it to be more built up however all that exists are a number of resorts on the island. We chose to stay at the Sari Pacifica because it was near to the other resorts and we hoped we could walk around and enjoy other food from different places.

Thanks to a few posts on Trip Advisor, I made sure to book a Sea View room which did cost extra, but not very much extra and my partner and I were happy with it. Each sea view room had its own large bathroom, bedroom and closet space, the room also featured a connecting patio which led straight to the beach, which was a beautiful way to wake up in the morning. Deck chair to lounge around, and a table and chairs to enjoy the morning sunrise or do work while your partner sleeps in.

Contrastly, I spoke to another guest who booked a 'lagoon' view room, and he did not seem happy at all. Lots of mosquitos, insects, and the lagoon is being renovated (don't know how long for) and is this ugly dirty brown colour.... rather disgusting, but I am glad we did not have to deal with that. So if you decide to stay here, pay that bit extra!

The resort next to the Sari Pacifica is called the Redang Holiday Beach Resort, and they are really pushing the party vibe. They have a bar/nightclub which plays music across the beach from about 8pm - 1am, so if you are a light sleeper, be sure to bring ear plugs because while our rooms were closed, it felt like the music was being played from our computers inside the room!

Our package included breakfast which is buffet style. Every morning there is somebody who can cook you eggs, just the way you like it! The other options are rather selective, and a lot of the time the dishes were cold (not even warm). There is a pot of tea and coffee available too, but I don't understand how or why the coffee and tea looked the way it did, but it had gunky, oily bits floating on the top. I waited until I got back to my room where I could boil my own water and make an instant coffee.

The staff here were all very friendly and helpful. The main purpose for my trip was to scuba dive, and we were lucky to have an experienced diver named Mr Deng, who led our dives to explore Pulau Redang. My only qualm was that they did not use GPS, so finding the dives sites proved problematic some times. Also, the benches where we geared up for our dives was located next to a staff toilet, so the sewage run off was not very pleasant. Another thing is that most dive resorts offer 3 boat dives a day, and contrastly this resort only did two. Since diving was a priority for me, I felt a bit let down by this. I would have loved to do more than two dives a day if possible.

If you do not get lunch or dinner included in your package (buffet style), then you have the option of paying which will cost you 50-70MYR per person. We spent most of our lunch and dinners at another resort cafe called the Sandfly bar and Summerpoint which cost us only 6-15 MYR per meal, much more appropriate.

The pool looks lovely, however when we jumped in. It smelled of detergent, just go down to the ocean and swim in the clear blue waters, avoid the pool! Also the bar is very basic, all the cold drinks are stored in a cooler box with ice, so don't expect much.

There was wifi internet throughout the resort, however it was very flaky. But these are the things you need to keep in mind when visiting a place such as Pulau Redang. It is a remote island, so keep that in mind. Overall, my partner and I were very happy with our stay. However, I think I would rather look at another resort for my next stay.

Room Tip: Pay that bit extra for a Sea Front Villa!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank PH C
Mark H, Resident Manager at Sari Pacifica Hotel, Resort & Spa - Redang Island, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear PH C,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review. Your feedback is much valued and appreciated. We regret to learn that our service rendered was not up to your expectations. We sincerely apologize for the shortcomings you’ve encountered. Rest assured that your comments will be seriously looked into and we will strive to improve our service level and product quality. Even though we understand that you may not stay with us again, we would like to have the opportunity to restore your faith in our resort.

Stay Well,

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights at the Sari. As we organised our trip very late this was the only accomodation available to us. After reading the tripadvisor reviews we reluctantly made our booking in a rush to avoid the east coast monsoon season. We booked the full board package but this only included meals - no airport transfers or snorkel trips - poor compared to other redang resort packages. On arrival we were very impressed with the beautiful sandy beach and from the boat the hotel looks amazing. However up close you can see it has seen better days. A lick of paint would make a world of diffetence. Everywhere you look gives you the impression that the owners lost their passion or hunger for tourism a decade or more ago. This brings me onto the price. Compared to other resorts on the same beach it is at the high end of the price range and i dont think it is reflected in what you get. The food was edible and on the saturday night we have had a BBQ on the beach which was plentiful. However the next night was a poor re-hash of the previous night and there really was not enough volume. A significant plus point of the Sari is the staff who were always friendly and attentive. A special mention for the Chilean bar staff who make great cocktails and a wonderful music selection at the pool bar. The staff seemed to be aware of the hotels many negatives and did their best to negate them. Upon checkin we were given the choice between our garden villa looking at a muddy artificial lagoon or a free upgrade to a beach front villa. Pretty cool we thought but it came with a warning - disco at the Redang Holiday resort just metres away. It turned out to be an accurate warning. LOUD music until midnight-1am. We were forced to wait it out at the pool bar before heading to bed. Fortunately the pool bar was a nice place to be. The snorkel trip we paid for to the marine park was excellent but only because we arrived well before 10am and therefore the bulk of tour groups. Only do this trip early! The other issue we had was island specific rather than hotel. You basically have to leave the island by midday which meant many many dull hours spent in Kuala Terrenganu.
So, to sum it up. Staff and beach excellent. Hotel itself worn and tired with very noisy neighbours and not great food. Lower the price by 40% and it would be about right for what you get. Would i stay again? mmmmmm...No.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank SFayers
Mark H, Resident Manager at Sari Pacifica Hotel, Resort & Spa - Redang Island, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear SFayers,

Thank you very much for the detailed review about your experience at Sari Pacifica Resort & Spa, Redang Island. All guest comments are gratefully received and reviewed. We’ve looked into the less positive issues you’ve mentioned and we sincerely apologise for the shortcomings you’ve encountered. Your comments are deeply appreciated and will surely assist us in striving towards service excellence.

On another note, we are glad that you were comfortable with our snorkeling trip, Chengkir Beach Bar and thank you for highlighting the good service provided by our staff.

Be Well,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Ok let's start with the positives about this hotel -
1) Getting out of it, this place is not a resort but a trap , I'm sorry but how can you class this hotel as as a 4* hotel? The pictures you have to promote this hotel are a few years out of date, so lets not focus on the negatives more the realities of this resort.
This hotel is really a 2* hotel, don't try to convince others that it isn't..you really need to update your website to reflect the following. -
2) The pool. You have advertised on your website , isn't the pool in your hotel. The pool you can not use as its so dirty , full of bacteria . I'm. Almost certain that if you did. Use. It you would catch legionnaire disease or something worse.
The hotel surpposly has a lake beside it ,for your villas / rooms to over look, again this is incorrect you need to update this to be a swamp, dirty one it is.
3) The villa room, what a complete joke. When were these places last cleaned ?, painted? The windows frames& blinds a covered rust and the shower basin well will leave it as that....
4) The Bar- you don't have one, you have a bucket filled with ice and a few selections of beers, then a few candles ..no cocktails , wine selection was 1 bottle of red or white, again what a joke
5) Resturant - wasn't available we had to go to the hotel next door, who laughed as us when we told them where we were staying..
6) our villa , toilet didn't flush and the sink had no water.. We were told they couldn't fix the problem and we moved to another villa. This wasn't much better either. Ok the toilet & sink worked BUT and there is a BIG BUT... The bed sheets hadn't been washed for months they were damp , windows where again rusty,( I have taken pictures to prove all of this , more that happy to upload if the management disagree with my comments), cockroaches in the toilet area, bugs coming out of the bath hole.. One last thing, the hotel forgets to mention that there is another hotel 100 Meters away , which plays club music at full blast until midnight. This must be part of the 4* hotel service .. What a joke ..
Ok I must stop now as we intended to stay here for 6 nights, but stayed for 1..
My last comment to me really summarises the hotel .. We asked for some bottle water .. Guess what we were told... I'm sorry we don't have any, you need to go to the shop.. WTF, come on Sari Pacifica hotel, Redang, it's only a matter of time before you are caught out..
Don't sell this hotel as a 4* , it's very nice from the outside but it needs a lot of maintenance ..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank traveltime333
Mark H, Resident Manager at Sari Pacifica Hotel, Resort & Spa - Redang Island, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear traveltime333,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review. Your feedback is much valued and appreciated. We regret to learn that our service rendered was not up to your expectations. We sincerely apologise for the shortcomings you’ve encountered. Rest assured that your comments will be seriously looked into and we will strive to improve our service level and product quality. Even though we understand that you may not stay with us again, we would like to have the opportunity to restore your faith in our resort.

Faithfully & Be Well,
Singapore
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were there as a group of 14, with kids.

SP, particularly for the Redang island one only is a very good hotel (if you are heading to the SP in Lang Tengah, it may be worth for you take a peep at my other review about them :-)). We've put up in the ocean view villas and it is awesome throughout the whole experience.

This hotel is at the corner of the end of the famous Pantai pasir panjang. The hotel has got huge clubhouse with very nice pool...almost by the beach. You can swim while looking out to the ocean.

The hotel staffs here are well-trained with good manner. They speak not bad english and very helpful when you approaching them for help.

We are on the "all-inclusive" package (transport, accommodation, meals). As we are in a big group and we are suppose to have our meals all in the standard restaurant for buffets. We've had made a special request to have barbecue dinner by the pool, and next the beach...the hotel manager has made his best effort to accomodate to our request and made a special group seafood BBQ with special setting for us. This is awesome...and we're being branded as the star group for the night!!!

The villas are also very luxurious setting with huge bed and nice setting...set aside some standard wear and tear items...but overall we are very satisfied with the setting and luxurious feeling.

Yes, i will come back again one day!

Room Tip: join the package deal... just indulge yourself on the beautiful beaches and activities.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Skywalker008
Mark H, Resident Manager at Sari Pacifica Hotel, Resort & Spa - Redang Island, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Skywalker008,

Thank you very much for sharing your Sari Pacifica experience with others and for highlighting the warm and wonderful service provided by our staff here at Sari Pacifica Resort & Spa. Your satisfaction towards our accommodation, services and facilities is a motivation for us to provide even better service. On another note, we’d looked into the less positive issues you’ve mentioned and we sincerely apologize for the shortcomings you’ve encountered. Your comments are deeply appreciated and will surely assist us in striving towards service excellence. Thank you once again for recommending Sari Pacifica as a brand to everyone! We look forward to welcoming you back to Sari Pacifica Resort & Spa on your future visits to Redang Island.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Room crumbling,hole in floor,glass sellotaped in windows,filthy bathroom-showered with shoes on,brown stains on wall in shower!Half used bars of soap from previous guests,used shower mats,dirty tea cups.Hotel toilets filthy,food inedible,staff indifferent.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Joan P
Dear Joan P,

Faithfully & Stay Well,
Tianjin, China
Reviewed June 23, 2013

It is hard to know were to start with the review. Having read all the reviews before we went I was expecting the absolute worst, it was certainly not as bad as many people had painted it to be but there is some definite need for improvement.
To start on a positive note: the staff were really very nice and helpful. I was very suprised to read the reviews that state otherwise. From the gentlemen that carried our suitcases along the beach, through to the waitresses in the resturant and the lovely barman, everything was done for us with a smile. Sure, there were occasions when the bar wasnt staffed but once we asked someone, staff were there in minutes. One night my friend was craving French Fries and although they were not on the buffet then chef made him some specially with no questions or quibbles.
We were initially put in a 'garden view' apartment, this was a major issue as it was not a garden view- the balcony looked over what appeared to be a kind of stagnent lake with dirty water in. Really very unattractive. I asked for us to be moved and the following day we were upgraded to a sea view villa. It was really lovely, the room veranda opened out onto the beach and the room was a great size... exactly what we wanted.
Cleanliness was a small issue, the cleaners themselves were really very nice people but clearly did not have a cleaning rota/ checklist to ensure that everything was done. eg. when we moved to our new villa there was no toilet paper and the toilet hadnt been cleaned.
Lots of people have mentioned the food. For a supposed 5 star resort- it isnt great, however on our last night I met the knew chef who said he had been brought in to fix it so maybe it will get better. Its not inedible at all, just not much choice. Although have to recommend the chocolate cake- that was pretty nice!
All in all- its not a bad place to stay, just think more 3 star than 5 star. It has so much potential that with a little effort (better cleaning, get rid of the wierd stagnent lake and paint the place) they could have a truely great resort that would be worth 5 stars.
One piece of advice about the island... dont take a snorkling trip only to the Marine Park. There were plastic bags in the water, cigarette packets and cans stuck in the corel and a general total disregard for the environment. We lasted 10 mins and had to leave.
We had a lovely holiday, I would definitely recommend the island if you like nice beaches and good snorkling.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for the sea view villa
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ali_Cannon642
Dear Ali_Cannon642,

On another note, we are glad about your compliment towards the service rendered by our pleasant staff. Even though we understand that you may not stay with us again, we would like to have the opportunity to restore your faith in our resort.

Be Well,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is the worst hotel we stayed at during our trip, but still the most expensive. Service was terrible!! Staff didn't care about the customers at all, and played music from the bar for the selfs while they were "youtubeing"/facebooking at the reception. No service at the bar, had to go get the barman every time you wanted to order.

Rooms were filthy, full of ants & lizards inside. Sand in the bed & shower.
Breakfast & lunch were always "empty" by the time we got there.

I can't understand that agoda or any other want to use this hotel.
Hope no one gets to experience this terrible hotel!

• Stayed June 2013

Redang Island Resort
Redang Island Resort
#10 of 12 in Pulau Redang
Sari Pacifica Hotel, Resort & Spa - Lang Tengah
Sari Pacifica Hotel, Resort & Sp...
#2 of 3 in Pulau Lang Tengah
Redang Pelangi Resort
Redang Pelangi Resort
#5 of 12 in Pulau Redang
BuBu Long Beach Resort
BuBu Long Beach Resort
#1 of 7 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil

Been to Sari Pacifica Hotel, Resort & Spa - Redang Island? Share your experiences!