“Stay at Mohsin, get beaten by a local mob! Limited time only”
Review of Mohsin Chalets

Mohsin Chalets
Brooklyn, New York
“Stay at Mohsin, get beaten by a local mob! Limited time only”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Probably the one guaranteed way to get a rating of "terrible" is to summon 12 of your closest professional friends and beat up your guests. Read on

I'll keep it as brief as possible since the police report I wrote was pretty lengthy. Myself and three other friends booked two rooms and checked into Mohsin "Chalets" (that fancy-sounding French word means nothing) on Sunday, May 26. The room itself was dismal. Dirty beds, broken fan (obviously no aircon), a door that wouldn't shut or lock, and just for good measure the room number on the outside hung sideways, suspended by one out of two nails. To top it off, in the bathroom was a broken toilet, and a sink that was balanced precariously on the copper water pipe that was feeding it, not attached to the wall at all. Remember that.

The next morning, my friend (a 21-year old, 5'3" female) went to the bathroom after waking up. The electricity was off, though it should not have been. When the bathroom lights didn't turn on, she lost her balance on the ledge leading to the bathroom floor, and slipped on the water that had leaked from the sink the night before. She instinctively grabbed the closest thing for support which happen to be the broken sink. After the slightest touch, the sink came crashing down to the floor, shattering in a hundred pieces. My friend obviously could have been severely injured by this neglectful maintenance, but she only had a couple scratches from the jagged porcelain.

Obviously we went to management about this, suggesting our money be returned after a miserable nights' stay. The female at the desk was not surprised, and responded by saying that the sinks around the hotel had been a problem, and casually asked for 150 ringgit for it to be replaced. We were understandably shocked, and refused to pay. The then called a man who claimed to be the owner. I never got his name, but he's impossible to miss; under five feet tall and clearly suffering from his Napoleon complex. He had a goon with him, and the four of us went back to the room to survey the damage. The owner tried to demonstrate that it was in fact securely fastened... but in his reenactment he put it on the wrong side of the wall. The abject neglect could not be more obvious. He loudly demanded that we pay, and when we refused he became increasingly aggressive, even getting in the face of my female friend. He actually put his hands on us, and I had to step between the little man and my friend and push him away. At one point he asked me where I thought I was, and then he threatened to kill me, I kid you not.

My friend and I managed to leave, thinking that a threat to our lives would be the right time to make an exit. We went back to our previous resort on the other side of the beach and had lunch. We had planned to go to the other side of the island that night, Coral Bay. The little man's goon had followed us and as soon as we left the beach, the four of us with all our bags, he approached us as we got to the trail going across the island and again demanded payment. My friends and I were maybe 100 meters from the beach when the man called for his friends. Before I knew it, I was surrounded by 12-15 locals all screaming incoherently. I knew I was in a bad situation, and while trying to reason with the man, a fist came out of my periphery and caught me on the left eye. I stumbled back, and one of the other men kicked me in the face. My female friend (remember, 21-years old, 5'3" and adorable), came rushing to my aid and tried to tackle one of the men like the awesome girl she is. She was thrown to the ground, and when she got up, she was punched in the face by the men as well. I see red even typing that and I'm actually shaking with rage. Just picture it- a half dozen crazed local Malaysians taking turns beating a female all at the behest of Mohin's owner. When she fell to the ground I jumped on top of her to protect her and absorbed the brunt of the beating for a couple minutes.

I urge everyone, in the strongest possible terms, to avoid Mohsin at all costs.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
25 Thank BrooklynShogun

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed March 14, 2013

They have a very cheap dorm package for 3d2n which is for RM 270 and the staff are superx3 friendly..nice view from the receptionist place where you can just hang out when the electric stop at noon and if you are lucky the staff would ask you to join them climb the stair hill ,fishing or even snorkeling around island

Room Tip: The electric only operate from 6pm till 1pm and can't use a hairdryer
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Nadea A
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I was there for a diving trip with a number of friends and to our dismay, when we arrived, we had to lug all our bags and things on a 10-15 minute walk up to where Mohsin chalets are. Check in took a while to finish as they were short of staff because it was a major public holiday. The rooms are very basic, nothing you'd write home about. We had all sorts of problems with our toilets. One room toilet couldn't flush, another was leaking. A couple of complaints later sorted out those but the rooms are way below average.

Food was okay at the chalet. BBQ buffet was not bad and saved us the trouble of taking another 10-15minutes walk to the Long Beach for food (waiting time for food here could take up to 30mins-1hour, again, this is probably due to the public holiday).

To be fair, the staff there are friendly (they seem to try) and we were just unlucky as we were there during the Hari Raya Puasa holidays, so most of the staff were off and there were probably only 3 there to man the reception, clean the rooms, etc.

Not recommended unless you're into the whole back to basics, because at Mohsin, basic is all you will get.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up on the hill means lots of climbing up and down (if you forget something when you rea...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Pulau Perhentian Kecil hotels

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I went there for my diving trip. I wouldn't hope for much but at least a clean place to stay. I was staying at the first row challet, I'm ok with my room. My tired body wouldn't allow me to choose more either.

I have a few friends who are staying at the top row challet, they complained that the water wasn't strong enough to flush the toilet, so everything was in the toilet bowl for 3 days... Their buffet dinner wasn't impressive, but that time was Muslim's fasting month, every Muslim operated stalls were closed. No other choice but to eat. The owner was kind enough to entertain the guest with his magic show.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank GigiLee_mc
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've had a look at most of the places around long beach and chose Mohsin for several stays. The rooms are pretty basic and a bit of improvement in the bathrooms wouldn't hurt. But I think this is the same everywhere on the island in the low-budget range. The rooms are clean when you move in, although a change of sheets and floor-cleaning during a 7-days-stay would be nice with all the sand and the heat during the night..
The view from the patio and the restaurant is great! I also like that it is set back a bit from the beach, so it is a lot more quite than most of the other places. If you want your own room but are fine without aircon the price/performance is okay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

Mixed feeling, the view is by far the best on the island, it is quiet and set back from the action, staff are great but the rooms are a tad depressing and not the cleanest, we didn't mind as we spent all day on beach but at night was quite hot just with fan, but staying that we stayed four nights so wasn't that bad, if quiet and views are what u need stay here, if you want comfort stay elsewhere :)

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Travel-luvely
Paris, France
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Hi,
We stayed at Mohsin for 4 nights from 8th to 12th Aug, in an a/c room.
Getting your bags up (we were on the highest level of rooms of the chalet) was an ordeal, though one of the staff sweetly offered to take my bag up. My husband, ofcourse took his own bag.
Ofcourse we were expecting a bag packers accomodation, but for 40 euros we certaintly were not expecting to see the filthiest bathroom we ever saw ! Besides having a gecko house in there, the flush did not have a lid and was really dirty !! The room was pretty awful too.
The sheets were not changed but they did so upon request.

Had we paid like 10 or 20 euros, my review would have been very different.

Must admit that the staff were pretty good and polite and managed to get things done, so thanks for that if you're reading ! Please clean the place, especially the bathrooms !!!

All that said, the beach and the waters were SPECTACULAR. So was the day tour of snorkeling - saw the most mind boggling coral reefs and 2 huge sea turtles. It was like a dream this beach.
We had a lot of trouble with the boat on the way back to Kuala Besut (almost capsized) and the driver couldnt give a damn about us. So we are really lucky to be alive.
ADVISE TO ANYONE TO GOES TO KECIL : Please make sure that your boat does not leave before a storm is expected or if the sea is rough. They will go anyways as they dont care but you should refuse.

Room Tip: Stay on the 1st or 2nd level, easier to go up and down.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
#8 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Ombak Resort Perhentian Island
Ombak Resort Perhentian Island
#4 of 14 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil

Been to Mohsin Chalets? Share your experiences!