“Very enjoyable stay!”

BuBu Long Beach Resort
Reviewed May 26, 2010

I stayed at bubu long beach resort in early April 2010, and it was a wonderful experience! The receptionists were friendly and efficient, my room was crisp and clean, toilet was exceptionally clean (I got the first room on the left next to the entrance/bar). Or maybe I found it to be such a wonderful change in comparison to mohsin chalet where I stayed a couple of nights before,which was dirty, stuffy with a disgusting bathroom (i got the one attached) and a far walk to the beach. Bubu's view was great and their BBQ dinner was excellent! I agree price is a bit pricy, but I think it was worth every penny! I definitely would reccommend bubu for couples or families who want that extra bit of luxury. It helps that they have electricity 24/7!

2  Thank Vereema

Reviewed March 15, 2010

Ok, this is likely to be one of the first reviews for the 2010 season, as we were among the first guests to stay at Bubu when they recently re-opened for the 2010 season at the beginning of the month. I have to say, either they've made a lot of improvements over the past 4 months of being closed for the monsoon season, or there's a lot of reviews here written from distorted views - probably a mix of both!
First things first, the Perhentians are a set of islands that belong to a protected marine park so the lifestyle here is more rugged and back to basics than other resort places you might visit - which is a good thing! 24 hour electricity is a novelty as each hotel must provide their own generator, and I think Bubu is the only "resort" on long beach that provides this luxury. 24 hour electricity means hot showers, flushing toilets, and working A/C anytime of the day, and I think some people forget how important that is, until they stay somewhere that doesn't offer it! People complain about how bad value Bubu is, but relative to the rest of the island it's not that bad considering they have 24 hour electricity, free wi-fi (also the only place on long beach i think), good clean rooms with A/C & hot water, a safe in the room and good staff that can generally be trusted (we have loads of electronics and valuables but nothing went missing), and use of the jetty so you don't have to hop off in shallow water to reach shore! You can't compare this to a 4 star hotel in KL or anywhere because you're comparing apples to oranges. Compare it to the other options on long beach and you will see that Bubu is the most "luxurious" choice.
There are a few reviews that complain about an awful smell or noise at night. We were the first room on the second floor and I didn't notice any bad smells or noise problems. On Sat night there was karaoke going on somewhere nearby that I could hear, but it ended by 11:30 so I didn't complain or investigate. I slept like a baby.
I don't know why people keep going on about how there is no beach or it's an ugly beach or this river between the hotel and the beach??? As soon as you walk out of the hotel you are on the beautiful white sand of long beach which leads to the beautiful clear waters of the ocean. There was no disgusting river anywhere? Maybe this was something there last year... The beach did have some litter, but right in front of the hotel it was clean. It would be nice if all the chalets made a joint effort to clean up all garbage on the beach, but you can't fault Bubu for that. The jetty is conveniently located nearby, but off to the side, not right in front of the hotel as one reviewer said. The nice thing about being on this side is if you're a snorkeller, there is an enclosed area for snorkelling (with some good reefs) just past the jetty so you don't have to go far.
We booked the all inclusive island getaway package including snorkelling, meals, hikes and some other crap because that was what was offered to us when we emailed to inquire. If you want an all inclusive package, it was relatively good value as meals at Bubu are quite expensive, but if we did it again we would not take all inclusive. We skipped most of our activities since my husband just wanted to relax, and a couple of things like the "sunset experience" was sort of a joke. The meals we ordred off the menu when we decided to extend another night for just the room were much more suited to our taste than the food that came with the package, and the food that came with the package was always WAY too much food! We felt bad wasting so much food every night. It was so much better to just order one dish and finish it. If you're a big eater, go for the package and you will never be hungry.
With regard to the activities in the package, the staff at reception did not always seem to know what was going on with our itinerary, even though they gave us a pretty detailed printed itinerary when we arrived so you would think they have all the tour guides scheduled and ready to go at whatever time we were supposed to go for each thing. A couple of the front desk staff were very on the ball about this kind of stuff, but a couple of the girls didn't seem to have a clue whenever we showed up for our activity. Overall though, the staff were very friendly and helpful, especially the ladies at the restaurant.
On a final note, when we inquired about trying diving, our guide from the hotel brought us to the Quiver dive shop in Coral Bay. We were all prepared to try diving with them, and then they wanted 6% surcharge to use Visa! Since we don't walk around with thousands of ringgitt in our pocket and we didn't want to pay the fee, we didn't dive with Quiver. But later that day we found out that Turtle Bay Divers (practically right next to Bubu) offers diving courses CHEAPER and without a surcharge, and our instructor there turned out to be much more experienced that the one we were about to get with Quiver! If you're curious about diving at all, go check out Turtle Bay instead of Quiver, who Bubu seems to be affiliated with.
All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Bubu and will stay here again whenever we come back to the Perhentians, which will hopefully be soon because it is a beautiful place!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Scar604
Reviewed January 31, 2010

last year on june i went to bubu resort with my friends. The price there was as expensive as a five star hotel in KL, but the service was very poor. The room was horrible with dirty ceiling, broken mirror and leaking hot water heater inside. we were requested to change to another room, but the manager told us that all the rooms’ hot water heater were like that! At night, the engine outside was so noisy that I nearly couldn’t sleep for a whole night. For this situation, the manager also told us that it was difficult to change the room cos half of the room could hear that horrible noise at night. Oh my God!!! So if you had some sleeping problem, I suggested you do not go there.

The beach outside was also horrible, there was a black and smelly river in front of the resort. If you want to go to the beach, you had to pass that dirty and smelly river first. They apply some laying chair outside, but just a few. If you want to enjoy that one, you had to wake up very very early in the morning and fight with other customers for that chair.

The staff there was horrible also. we even lost some money at our room!!! though it's just small amount of money, but that means the staff there was horrible and stole thing.

Finally i just want to say: this is the worst resort i had ever see in my life and i won't go there anymore!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
6  Thank turkhahn
Reviewed January 25, 2010

I was pleasantly surprised with the adequate service and quality. The bed linens are of good quality and crisp. The room is tastefully furnished with a quiet ceiling fan and the air-con worked so darn well that sometimes the room is icy cold although in such a remote tropical resort island, gosh! The bathroom is small but are always cleaned thoroughly by the housekeeper everyday. I am glad that I get to experience staying there. Will return again when time permits.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JuliPurrz
Reviewed January 8, 2010

I been to Pulau Perhentian many times but every time i stay in Bubu Resort. The rate was increase every year but every year the resort was improved.

My recent visit to Pulau Perhentian was in August 2009, the resort's rooms was all refurnished and the F&B was the best in Pulau Perhentian.

Overall it was a bit expensive but it worth for it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank WilliamCheng
Reviewed January 4, 2010

for the price we paid,i think its a wee bit expensive,we had "matt" for our dive master who was very jovial and fun....i got stuck in the bathroom on day one ,and had to be rescued when my parents and brother realized i was still missing....they had to break the door down! and i was late for lunch and starving!..the floor in the rooms had paint peeling off,and coated my feet red!

overall the staff are great and friendly....the neighbouring beaches are filthy and filled with hippies,its a bad sight to ruin ur vacation....

the house reef is almost dead but thriving...the food was good though...

the bubu beach is fantastic....no coral no rocks ideal for swimming...

definitely try some other resort...next time...way too overpriced for a setting that looks like a primary school building...

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank gita73
Reviewed November 26, 2009

Cleanliness : Good !
Service : 5 stars services & friendly staff !
Location : Strategic / Easy access !
Value : Affordable from teenagers to adults !
Rooms : Comfortable with private bathroom !

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Perhentian Island Resort
Perhentian Island Resort
#4 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & Beach Chalet
Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & B...
#8 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Alunan Resort
Alunan Resort
#1 of 10 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil

Been to BuBu Long Beach Resort? Share your experiences!