“Awesome Dive Company”
Review of Matahari Chalet

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pulau Perhentian Kecil
Matahari Chalet
Saratoga, New York
“Awesome Dive Company”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Due to the holiday weekend, Matahari Chalets were completely booked. I was unable to stay there, but was lucky enough to do a few dives with them. What stood out to me were their organization, customer service, knowledge, safety, and overall friendliness. I've done a lot of diving around the SE Asian region and Matahari is one of the best outfitters I've experienced. The overall atmosphere was fun and open. Many people were taking dive courses and the staff was genuinely into teaching. I did some open water fun dives at D'Lagoon and Temple of the Sea. We saw lots of neat underwater life and I especially liked Temple of the Sea. I guess that site is the best one in the Perhentians. After the dives my guides stuck around and went through the fish book with me. We could identify all the animals I saw. I appreciated that extra time they took.

Room Tip: Dive at Temple of the Sea!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Would highly recommend this dive school. The nicest of staff that really helped us out, making us feel incredibly welcome by even inviting us to their daughters birthday one night. Great value for our basic but spacious chalet with the luxury of a shower that was not just a drip! We paid 200£ each for our advanced diving course as well as two nights accommodation. The diving was amazing and the instructors hilarious! Stay here! For more information on perhentian islands check out our blog: rucksacksandrice.blogspot.com

• Stayed May 2013
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I was staying elsewhere and came by around 9:30am to check this place out. I looked at one of the A-Frames for 50 Ringitt and said I would be back in an hour. Unfortunately, when I came back 45 minutes later, the guy I had spoken to had already forgotten me and had given it away. It took me a few minutes to even get him to remember me. I was able to stay in a longhouse room for 50 ringits that night, but would have to pay the standard 60 for every night after that.

The toilets don't work- it's one of those bucket ordeals. Ok I've been SE Asia for months, I'm used to it, but they could fix them. The light in the bathroom also just didn't work. The cafe there is closed, and the stairs up there are non-existent so there isn't anywhere comfortable to relax. Internet only works for a few people at a time.

The electricity is on from 6:30pm-9:30am, and then again from 12:30pm-3:00pm.

*TIP* The mosquito nets are not just for keeping out mosquitos. The one night I forgot to tuck in my net, I awoke to a cockroach crawling all over me.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank jkraska

Travelers are raving about these Pulau Perhentian Kecil hotels

kuala lumpur
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Been here twice - first in the air-cond room, and the 2nd time in the bungalows (too bad not the ones facing the sea). It's all very basic, and thats okay if we gonna spend most of the day outdoors.

The restaurant is a nice touch and enabled us to get dinner while catching the Movie of The Nite!

Can get noisy though with the Panorama cafe having the live band and partying thru the night - on our last trip it lasted til 3am. Other than that - an okay place and i hear its better than other places on Perhentian. And its a few steps away from Turtle Bay Divers so thats a big plus.

Room Tip: Bungalows are more spacious and airier than the rooms
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Sichuan, China
Reviewed April 18, 2013

The guy at reception was very very chilled out when we arrived, I think we might have disturbed him from sleeping beside the reception desk. We checked into an a/c room which was basic but it was clean. We then moved to a cheaper fan room which was very basic. I thought it was a little expensive for how basic it was but in hindsight it wasn't too bad since the market price on the Perhentians seems to be high for what you get.

There is a walk over a dirty swamp towards the beach but we didn't let that bother us much. I didn't see it in many reviews but the food on the whole island (apart from the expensive Bubu resort) was terrible!! We were there for a full week and could not find a good meal (apart from Bubu). Also you should bring alcohol from KL if possible as there is very little available there.

We were there the week before the busy season started and it was absolutely amazing. Once the weekend came and more people started coming the beach got very dirty which was a pity. Some of the shop and bar owners clean up in front of their places after they get out of bed - usually afternoon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have done quite a lot of travelling over the years, staying in all sorts of accomodation both cheap and more expensive and I have to say this is one of the worst places I have ever stayed. I went to the Perhentians with two friends and were recommended Matahari by the people who we got the boat over with. On arrival the man was quite helpful which I think lulled us into a false sense of security. We chose an air conditioned, hot water room for RM120 a night (between three), and this is when the nightmare begun.

None of us have very high expectations especially when you are paying relatively little for accomodation, all we asked for was a clean room and the services that we were paying for to work. Apparently this was too much to ask. First off the door to our room wouldn't lock. After being sent on a wild goose chase (to the dive shop and the beach) we eventually found someone to 'help'. The man who spoke very little English proceeded to spend the next 20 mintues trying to lock the door. He eventually got it locked and the key out and told us that it was fixed. He didn't quite understand that we didn't want a 20 minute battle with the door everytime we left the room. Eventually he got a screw driver and after another 40 minutes of waiting the door was fixed. Problem one solved.

Now to inside the room, once again I would like to stress we are not generally fussy travellers, but hopefully after the following you will understand why we were pretty unimpressed with this place. 1 - There was mould all over the ceiling, 2 - Everytime you flushed the loo it leaked all over the bathroom floor, 3 - we didn't have hot water once during our stay (even though we were paying for a hot water room), 4 - one night we had no running water at all and had to wait until 2 in the morning to have a shower. During this time we couldn't find anyone to help us or advise what to do. 5 - our air conditioning broke after the 1st night. Their answer to this was to spend 20 minutes pressing buttons on the remote control (we had already tried this) and then tell us it was broken (in case we hadn't worked that out already).

In summary the whole experience became a bit of a joke, and like another person who has posted a review, in the accomodation we have stayed in since, the phrase "at least it's not as bad as Matahari" has been used frequently.

Not wanting to leave things on a complete negative - the location is pretty good, central on the beach, behind the main cafes. However, I would not recommend a stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank JessReid
Selangor, Malaysia
Reviewed March 26, 2013

One and only the good thing of this chalet is that it located at the middle of the beach. It is quite a distance from the beach, if compared to other chalet on the long beach and there is a dirty and smelly pond beside the walkway. The rooms view is not nice enough as it is quite far from the beach. There is no restaurant in the chalet but you can get your food at the cafe along the beach. Avoid the cafe which is infront of Matahari chalet (with yellow chair), the service is terrible and the food is overpriced! Don't eat the lettuce which is used to garnish your meal.

Room Tip: The receptionists always reserve the room for the existing customer if they wish to extend the night...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
#8 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Ombak Resort Perhentian Island
Ombak Resort Perhentian Island
#4 of 14 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil

Been to Matahari Chalet? Share your experiences!