“Really nice resort!!”
Review of Ombak Inn Chalet

Ombak Inn Chalet
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Really happy that I stumbled upon this resort! On the outside it looks pretty expensive, but it is not! Shared a quad share room with 3 other friends and the room fit us all in without feeling all cramped up, even with all our luggage! They also provide DVD rentals if you just want to stay in your room out of the sun. Really friendly dive shop. And we loved the pizzas they have here at the restaurant.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jenn Y
Ombak_Resort, Manager at Ombak Inn Chalet, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Hi Jenn,

Thank you for your stay at Ombak. I believe you also did your dive with Ombak Divers. Good to hear that you are satisfied and happy with your accommodation and your dive. Have a nice day.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I made a reservation for 3 nights and paid when I arrived. My no fan room was 250RM/night ($82/night). I checked in and found out there was no water. Nobody told me this was an issue at check-in. It would have been appropriate to be honest and warn your guests. I went 2 days without water. I was stuck as the resort refused to give me my money back or discount it. As I talked with the receptionists, they told me this was going on for the last 2 weeks. I was given a bucket the first day and when I complained on the second day about the cost of the room and no water, I was told I could share a bathroom with the dive shop. The resort only cared about the money they took in. Service and customer satisfaction is not a priority. If you stay here, ask about the water situation and pay day by day. There are better places on the island. No other hotels had water problems, I asked around.

• Stayed: July 2013
8  Thank vegabondgrl
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed in the dorms for 3 nights because all the other places on the island were full. The beds were lousy, if you climbed in the upper bunk bed the bed almost tipped over. If the person above you turned around in his sleep it felt like the bed was coming down on you. There were lockers but without locks, so bring your own! The doors of the room couldn't be closed because there was only 1 key for 8 beds. In the end the owner wanted to charge us for a missing blanket. Probably one of his employees who stayed in the rooms next to us was feeling cold. The location was good and the food in the restaurant as well.

Room Tip: Do not take a dorm room
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I was in Perhentian Kecil at the busy time when the school holidays start in Malaysia. I was with a German couple and we were desperate to find a place as everything was booked on the Island. We almost didn't dare asking at Ombak because it looked like an expensive place but I will never regret asking!

We had the nice surprise to be told that they were planning to have a dorm set up and that they would rush it so we could have a place to stay. Great!

Everything was brand new, clean. The dorm had two giant windows and fans because it can be quite hot there.

The restaurant is really good and affordable. You have a movie showing every night and unlike what's been written in a previous review it is very quiet at Ombak at night. They shut down the music early. The only noise I would mention are the generators but this cannot be escaped as there is no electricity per say on the island and this is one of the rare places where you will have power 24 hours.

This "no music late at night" policy could be new but it means that they listen to their customers and definitely read these reviews. If you happen to want to party you are only a 5 minutes walk from Long beach as the path that goes there starts at the Ombak resort and you will be able to sleep when you come back.

They have also a great dive centre and the staff is amazing and very accommodating. Moreover, if you want to try the new trend in diving (rebreathers), they have the best units the Poseidon MkVI and they are brand new.

The resort staff was nothing but friendly and they even helped me carry my stuff all the way to the boat jetty when I left as I had a huge backpack and my dive gear.

I will be definitely be back at Ombak!

Room Tip: If budget is not an option go for the ac rooms as it is damn hot on Kecil
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Superded
Ombak_Resort, Manager at Ombak Inn Chalet, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Hi Superded,

Thank you for your reviews. Good you asked the reception first. Lucky you to be one of the earliest guest to use our facilities in the dorm. About the noise of the generator, yes, we did our best to reduce the noise by build a designated room for the generator. Hope the government will supply the electricity soon.. Have a lovely day!!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We went here after a 2 day stay at Longbeach: we really needed to get away from the crowds on that side of the island. We accidentily stumbled upon Ombak and fell in love with the place. It was clean, had a layed-back feel to it and to us it was just perfect. The rooms are very nice and so clean! Make sure you drop your key at the reception and ask them to make up your room (before 5 pm): thats their policy. They also have great snorkeling excursions with the ever happy Matt and that for a better price than they give you at Longbeach. (30 RM incl gear)
Price of the room is a bit high, but you'll get value for your money if you're looking for a clean, new, warm and relaxing place on the beach! We hihly recommend this place! Thanks to Ombak and their staff!

• Stayed: June 2013

Hi Kimboewie,

Wow we are very happy to hear your review of Ombak. To compare the price with our neighbour yes we are a litlle bit higher, but as you experienced, Ombak offered the most lovely ambience at Coral bay. Hope to meet you again one day...

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Nice place at Coral Bay, 5 minutes walk to Long Beach. Simple but new, cheap and quiet dorm (8 beds) with fan (co air-con) in the staff's house. Lovely and good restaurant, friendly and well-equipped dive-shop. Friendly staff and cosy atmosphere!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Travel S,

We just opened our dorm to customer in this July 2013. Good to hear u enjoy your stay at Ombak. Hope we can see again!!

Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a really nice few days diving with ombak. Overall it's a lovely place in an idillic location on the beach with decent rooms and nice diving accessible. Unfortunately they've still got a few teething problems that need sorting out before we'd be likely to go back:
- the rooms are functional and clean when you check in but were not cleaned at all during our three night stay. I'd at least like the bathroom bin emptied during this time.
- there is electricity and running water but with the resorts power coming from a generator there's quite often occasions when the power or water drops out for a minute or so. This wouldn't even by an issue if the aircon automatically restarted but it doesn't so overnight the heat wakes you up.
- the dive centre staff were really helpful. They managed to find two din to a-clamp adapters for our regs as they only have a-clamp tanks. They did make a bit of a silly decision when dropping the group in on the Vietnamese wreck in a very strong current without any kind of trailing line to allow you to get to the shot line.
- the food from the restaurant was fantastic and Chris was really helpful. Unfortunately on two occasions an order for two pizzas took over an hour to appear. These kind of timings for delivering food just don't work with diving as you've only got an hour and a half between returning from one dive and leaving for the next one.
- a final warning, don't rely on the boat back from the island turning up on time. Our midday departure which we had to check out of the room at half eleven to ensure we got it didn't arrive till 12:25. Make sure you leave lots of spare time for the transfer back to the airport.

Hope this is of use to some and that the hotel take some of the comments onboard.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank mike00010_11

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reviews. For the next time, if have opportunity, you just need to inform our reception to make up your room. We make up room upon request by customer. I hope you enjoy your stay and dive at Ombak.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pulau Perhentian Kecil
BuBu Long Beach Resort
BuBu Long Beach Resort
#1 of 7 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resort
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resor...
#5 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Coral View Island Resort
Coral View Island Resort
#3 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar

Been to Ombak Inn Chalet? Share your experiences!