“Ecoteer@Do Good Volunteer/The Star Publication (M) Bhd.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pulau Perhentian Kecil
Fuze Ecoteer Community House
Reviewed August 27, 2013

wonderful experience with Ecoteer team. Warm welcome and interesting activity. Mind opening experience and wish i could stay longer to participate more on the volunteer works. Awesome stay with local community.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Nizkhairul

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stayed with Ecoteer for 3 weeks back in April and it was the perfect start to my trip. Upon arriving on the island I was greeted by the very friendly interns who were helping run the project and taken through what I would be participating in over my 3 week stay. All the information was very clear and well presented. Over the 3 weeks I found that preparation for classes and excursions was very specific and easy to understand for all volunteers and never found any problems during these times. All staff were incredibly helpful and constantly making sure there was nothing more that I needed. Though this was a volunteer position, it didn't feel like work in the slightest - we all had such a great time, were always smiling and laughing and the end result was always extremely satisfying. Thank you Ecoteer so much for the amazing experience, and I will 100% be back again in the future.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed with Ecoteer for two weeks in May and had an amazing time. The combination of being somewhere far from home and different with meeting new people and getting the chance to interact with the villagers was awesome.
All of the activities were good fun and I really enjoyed having the opportunity to take part in doing things I'd never have the chance to do so.
Ecoteer managed to get the balance between work and fun right, I had a great time while being able to help others. It was by far the best trip I've ever been on and I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind having a joke while they work, who can get stuck into any type of activity and is welcome to embrace new ideas and a different culture.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We have just finished our two week voluntourism placement with the guys at the Ecoteer community house. It is our second volunteering placement of our trip (the first one was in Thailand) and has certainly raised the bar. We were greeted at the Jetty promptly by one of the interns, who showed us to our dorm and then took us on an informative village tour.

During our two weeks we have been involved with all elements of the project, from prepping and running English and Eco club lessons for the kids to carrying out Coral watch surveys. Whilst there were some areas where better coordination with the school could be improved, the overall organisation of the project has been fantastic.

Everyone we have met has been friendly and helpful and the interaction with the village brilliant.

Our stay coincided with an annual visit of one of Ecoteer's sponsors, so we were involved with some pretty fun team building activities, and Ecoteer utilised our experience as scuba dive instructors on the snorkel tour to help guide and look after some of the other guests.

Only downside is the accommodation, which has a very peculiarly designed bathroom and very creaky beds. But we have been advised this is something that Dan and Seh Ling are working towards getting improved (we stayed in a guest house in the village).

If you are someone (or some people) who are looking for something that will give you a "real": experience of a Malaysian island, this is the project for you. You interact heavily with the locals, eat real food and even get to visit and eat with local families.

A big thank you to the guys at Ecoteer! Hopeful to work with them again in the future!

Neil and Sabina (UK and Italy)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SabiNeil
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I volunteered last week and I had a great time there. I enjoyed teaching basic English to the village ladies and how to create an e-mail account to the kids. I have learned to make Kuih. Then, we painted the school library. We did awareness campaign and beach clean up! Besides that, we also went for snorkeling tour! It was great! The people in the village were very friendly. I would definitely volunteer again if I get a chance.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is the place to go if you want to experience life in a Malay village and volunteer for a good cause. I have to agree that the routine and village work are challenging but with a positive mindset makes all the difference! The facilities are very basic, shared accommodation with bathroom, duties of gardening and composting are shared out by the staff and volunteers through the week and there are lesson plans and presentations to work on. There are rapid changes within the week on what we need to plan or do due to the nature of volunteering work. For example, class for the children can be cancelled due to exams, we could help out to setup a Malay wedding in the village, beach cleaning, running games and skids for visiting groups, fetching water from the well due to a water shortage, just to name a few! It's hard work but it is also the most fun and fulfilling and enriching experience we had for travels. The villagers are really friendly and the kids love hanging out with the staff and volunteers. We also had a chance to witness a green turtle coming on beach to lay eggs and observing them in their natural habitat.
Seh Ling and staff are very attentive to our needs and i find them very passionate about their work on this island. You could ask them any questions or clarify doubts and they'll be happy to share their views and even adopt your ideas. It's hard saying goodbye at the end of my stay with Ecoteer.
A note to new travelers and volunteers, learn to be open and flexible with the itinerary. There are plenty to learn when working as a team, it takes time to adapt and no one is perfect! If you have the skills set, just asked to be the lead and discuss it with the staff.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank lydiasops
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Our stay with Ecoteer was very positive and rather unique experience. Although I must admit that the organization of our daily routine was not perfect, the time spent with the local kids as well as villagers completely made up for it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tanya_Pasko
Ecoteer, Owner at Fuze Ecoteer Community House, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Dear Tanya

We would like to express our thanks for your time taken to write this review.

Many thanks and hopefully see you and Brett again

Daniel