“Heavenly Perhentian”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pulau Perhentian Kecil
Fuze Ecoteer Community House
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Its such a lovely place to visit..those moments spend in the island is memorable for all us especially with Ecoteer guys who assisted us all day long. Be prepared to get wet, dirt and finally dont forget to Jetty Jump.......the local food are delicious and spicy though...& please dont throw rubbish@plastic bags into the sea....

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sashikumar M

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Our Ecoteer stay was an amazing experience for our family (15, 17, 50, 52 yrs of age) and we are so grateful for everything.
E g the Redang snorkling tour, the meetings with the marvelously cute school kids at the school club and our daughters 17th birthday Long Beach visit.
And also the afternoon when our family walked the path halfway around the beatiful small Perhentian island.
When the 2 m turtle ascended from 10 m below sand bottom to meet us (but please don't touch them!).
The parrot fish, murena, needle fish, reef shark, trigger fish (help!)....
Further, the juice mixes at Mamas...:-)

Room Tip: This is not just a 'tourist hotel stay'. Be prepared as a volunteer to do work. Also conside...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Making your vacation worthwhile by volunteering. Usually, when I travel to the beach, I would be doing nothing but stay under the sun. This time, I wanted a change. Helping the villagers paint their houses, having dinner with them and learning about the marine environmental conservation are just the things you will experience with Ecoteer. They have set an itinerary, usually for a whole week or 3 days for shorter stay. The program will let you experience the beauty of islands of Perhentian while giving gratitude by helping to nature and to the villagers.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We booked the Ecoteer house room through a hotel booking website which said there would be chances to contribute to the group's voluntary work, not really realising that meant we had a signed up as volunteers and would be on a strict timetable and expected to volunteer throughout the day. Upon realising the expectations on us we changed our stay from 5 nights to 2 nights but were very glad we went. The physical work of sanding down and painting a local house was hard work in the heat, but on the other hand the snorkel tour to learn about coral conservation was awesome. It did feel good to have a change from just lying on beaches. The staff were great and really friendly. The room was very basic though and we had to keep reminding ourselves the expensive stay saw money going to a good charity.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I spent 3 wks at the Ecoteer house in the fishing village on Pulau Perhentian Kecil (little stopover island), Malaysia. All but 5 days were during Ramadan, which was a unique introduction to living in a Muslim village. I did not fast from 5 am to 7:30 pm nor pray 5 times daily, but watching the locals do so, reinforced a sense of appreciation for others' voluntary sacrifices in the name of belief. Despite this, I'd recommend others limit their Ramadan exposure to no more than a week. The snorkeling club did not happen during Ramadan and outdoors physical activity was severely restricted in the Ecoteer club.
All the people involved in Ecoteer Cmmty House are wonderful. Dan and Charmaine, who handle the admin side of Ecoteer from KL, provided clear information prior to my arrival; answering a cascade of emails over a few weeks. Seh Ling, Andi, and Jason, the interns who live in the House on Perhentian, work tirelessly (including their one day off a week) to make you feel welcome. Seh Ling, in particular, gave me incredible insights into the Malay culture and politics.
As for the work, it's hard. Expect 6 hrs/day 5.5 days/wk doing the following: painting, gardening, compost waste pick up, school club prep, school club action, and various house chores. But, when you see the fruits of your labor around the village, you will feel you earned your daily snorkel. My 1 hr snorkel at the house reef near the village was my treat: clownfish, anemone forests, rays, & cuttlefish. If I had spent my time on a secluded beach on Perhentian, rather than in the village working, the relaxation would not have been as satisfying.
Lastly, the chance to interact with local villagers was a treat not to be missed. The kids and the adults are sooooo welcoming. This is especially true for a Westerner they see every day, rather than a tourist who shows up now and again. The weekly Malay dinners at villager's house were the best food I had the whole time. I loved trying out my daily Malay words/sayings with anyone and everyone, too. Definitely make an attempt to learn some of the local tongue.
So, if you want a chance to help a truly vital organization in a wonderfully traffic-free island in Malaysia, go Ecoteer Cmmty House. And, yes, I did get 8 dives in over 3 weeks.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 14, 2012

This review comes late, but i'm still savouring the experience. I spent 3 weeks in total volunteering with Ecoteer on various projects in and around Terrenganu and the Perhentian Islands. My stay at the Ecoteer house was short and sweet. When I see the recent pictures now and what it looked like when I was there in spring of 2011 what a difference. It is a rewarding experience knowing that I was able to take part in the beginning stages of the community house. I think the efforts being made to the villagers, community, and enviroment, while promoting sustainable travel, the amount of satisfaction you receive is inconceivable. My only advice is to try it yourself, so you too can savour a memorable vacation, knowing that you also gave back.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 4, 2012

The ecoteer house and the community project is a truly amazing experience!!
If you enjoy the simple life, local food, living with and amongst locals and immersing yourself in another culture the ecoteer house/project is worth a visit! I spent 4 weeks there doing research and volunteering.
The house is simple but with a proper toliet (malay style) and privacy, forget it:-) You will get really close to the other people in the house and the kids are always there but in the end you would not want it any other way coz the kids are great:-)

You will get so close to the locals who are so friendly and the kids are awesome! They will try and teach you malay and play games with you. If you keep an open mind you will get the experince of a lifetime!! and thats just village life! After work you go snorkelling and get to discover the wonders of the sea and spot anything from bumperhead parrotfish to turtles!! And make sure you pay a visit to Ecoteers other project at the Perhentians, the turtle conservation project at bubbles dive resort:-)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo