“great place to live in!”

Perhentian Tropicana Inn
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Although it looks quite rough from outside,but the room is nice and tidy inside. If you are looking for basic rooms, it would be a good place to stay in. Though the room is built with wood, there is no worry about insect and mosquitos. During my four night trip, I only saw one mosquito once and it bit me hard because I got up late in the morning. There was no more harassment from mosquitoes after that, even during my noon snap. The service is good. Free wifi is available in the reception area. And they can fill drinking water for free for my bottle, twice a day. The boss told me that his mother is from Xiamen and he offered me special discount for the room as I lived for four nights. Indeed the price was good and worthy. It locates in the middle of the island and it's very convenient to go to both side of beach.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Wonderbabylon

Reviewed June 24, 2012

Coming as a student, prices were not surprisingly the first thing I needed to consider. But cleanliness and comfort were a top priority for me as well. I got both for a very affordable price. It went as low as RM40 a night for a room, and RM15 a night for a dorm. I was ecstatic! It also has a pretty good location. Just about 5 minutes walk from Long Beach and perhaps 10 minutes to Coral Bay. Which is nice because I can relax or check out the bars at the former location and a good variety of food at the latter location very easily. Having WiFi there was very useful, so that I could still keep in touch with people. The staff were very welcoming. There was a really good deal for the snorkeling trip, and the boatman who they hired tried their best to show us the best spots around Perhentian. I regret not staying at the island longer. I will definitely recommend the place to friends and family!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
9  Thank Debra R
Reviewed June 20, 2012 via mobile

Well we stayed here 10th Jane till the 12 June. I just can't begin to describe what turned out to be a nightmare.....
We had booked in for a week we arrived to a busy reception we kept getting fobed of and that our room would be ready soon... Finally after a few hours our room was ready...
We were not given towels or toilet paper or anything! A lot of construction work was going on about 10 or 11 local guys working on site...

The room itself is very very basi for what you pay bit to basic holes in the mosquito nets the smell in the room... Wouldn't really call the fan a fan but hey no...
So we went snorkelling on our first day there had locked all our personal valuables in my rucksacks with a combination lock on it under the bed and then locked the door... We kept the room key with us as we usually did...
We came back at 6pm 5 hours after we left to discover our room had been robbed ..... Everything valuable was taken! Passports bank cards money watches cologne iPhones everything.....
My rucksacks was still there just emptied! There was no sign of forced entry into the room which is VERY SUSPICOUS ! We called management immediately they came to our room and said we can call police that's all they said did nothing more to help us at all!! Very rude and not understanding or helpfull to the situation we were in.. They were intact laughing about it..
When we asked to see the manager he lives in kuala lumpur and was not available !!
Basically 4 months into travelling and everything gets robbed here so I advise you do not stay here under any circumstances after the incident a local told us that they always have that problem in tropicana the security does not exsist....
In the private rooms you can break in by opening the panes of glass from the outside and reaching your arm in therhe other side of the door and pop open the lock on the door!!

All in all horrible staff horrible place can't explain what it was like to have everything taken from you!!!

DO NOT STAY HERE whatever you do!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2011
8  Thank Aoife124
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Very Nice room ,In a great location, Located only 1 minute from the beach in a quiet place!!! The owner is very friendly and helpful, the room was very cheap comparing to the other places, and the electricity works 24 hours. Before stayed in 3 other places and all of them switched electricity only from 7 pm to 7 am. Great room, for greap price. Strongly Recommended!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are good, I stayed in the cheapest and it was good enough)))
Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Martin347
Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

I had the worst experience @ rock gardens and TROPICANA came to the rescue. Fanned dorm rooms for 15 rm/night. I've never heard of such a great deal! You have to walk a bit more on trail towards coral bay, About half-way there (5 min walk).Cold showers, but it's hot anyway! 8-10 beds per room. Mattress was thick n clean, TWO bathrooms, free wifi (at lobby) super friendly staff, along with super cool dorm mates. I booked right away n enjoyed every moment. if u pay 150 rm or so u can get a super nice hotel-like private room with hot shower, two full size beds, and A/C. They don't provide blanket or towel, but for 15 rm, what more can u expect?

• Stayed: June 2012
5  Thank OliveOyl07
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Some of the accommodation is still being constructed so if you stay in your room during the day all you hear is drilling and sawing.
We booked a double room with private bathroom using agoda. When we arrived at the hotel, the reception had no record of our booking or payment and we were made to wait while a room was prepared.
The room we received was one of the rooms still being constructed and was missing things like door handles, bathroom mirror, towel racks etc.
Overall I do not recommend this place. The general feeling I got was that the owners were not experienced with service and hotel management, and this showed in the quality of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelphils
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Very relaxing place with good service..great food...thank you Dato Sri Malek.....

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Coral View Island Resort
Coral View Island Resort
#3 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & Beach Chalet
Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & B...
#8 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar

Been to Perhentian Tropicana Inn? Share your experiences!