“shacks on an amazing beach/ camping in a room”
Review of Keranji Beach

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pulau Perhentian Kecil
Keranji Beach
Reviewed September 18, 2011

i loved the days here: amazing beach front shacks on an awesome strip of beach. very pretty location, surrounded by bats, a pet otter, nice locals and overpriced food. i won't stay again- the sort of like camping, moldy linens, bathrooms dirty and bugs. this isn't for me but the view is amazing perfection. compared to other locations on the island not the best prices- prices are not the same as on website.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank aliceinnyc
There are newer reviews for Keranji Beach

Reviewed September 10, 2011

We´ve been there in august 2010 for about 10 nights.
If you like it plain and simple, as we backpackers do, then this is the place to head to!
Miras scenery is like on a picturepostcard showing a tropical beach (or even better).
It´s such a calm-down and relaxing place.... almost surreal nowadays.

This place is all in one, when it comes to thinkin´ of a great holiday on the beach: your have your room/shed with balkony, a restaurant with delicious food, a fabulous beach, boat-trips and you can easily swim and snorkel.

The staff was very, very friendly to us and we had a lot of fun with them almost every day and in the evenings. They did a lot for us and we apprechiated it so much.
They made our time there even more perfect.

Thank you Lan, Mi, Met and Dali!

See you again and greetz,
Tom, Bernd and Markus

Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank thomas g
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Mira Beach is exactly what we were looking for. First we stayed (couple) on coral bay but the best accommodation was taken and we weren't happy with where we ended up - 50 ringit, dirty bed sheet, heaps and heaps of mozzies, could hear generators blah blah. We checked out Mira and booked in for the next night. It is basic but not crappy; I would say perfectly rustic. The best huts are the 4 right on the beach. The bedspread was clean, there were very few mozzies and you wake up to see crystal clear water out your window. Their food is very good and the dining space is very relaxed. If you feel like more action its only a 20 minute walk to Coral Bay. There is one shower/toilet block for everyone, all you need for a quick rinse and freshen up! Loved it. PS. Mira (as with many asian budget guesthouses) don't often take bookings...their advice is to call the day or two before if you want to book.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2011

We had a great 5 day stay here, the beach is second to none and the nicest setting for a resort on either island that we saw on various boat trips.

The chalets are very basic, wooden shacks. Makes for a fun, rustic experience. Mozzie nets keep out most insects in the night, although I would suggest you bring sheet sleeping bag as there is no bedding apart from mattress cover and pillows.

The main problem here is that it is quite disorganised, as the previous few reviews testify. We had booked via email a few weeks before, but after some crossed wires our booking was cancelled. They don't always respond to email very promptly or even at all, and so I wouldn't advise you do this. After a problem with our booking at a nearby resort we walked over on the chance that Mira had some availability and happily they did (apparently they take some advance bookings at the beginning of the season but they would appear to leave about half the chalets available to walk-ins, so I would suggest that if you want to stay here, a walk-in is the best option, so there can be no crossed wires or double bookings).

It was great waking up in the morning to the sound of the ocean and wildlife, and most days we chilled out on the chalet balcony in the hammock, or went for a swim in the sea, the beach being perfect for swimming. We had a chalet in the second row of huts a little further back from the beach but still had a very nice view over to the beach and the sea.

Don't bother with an en-suite room though, for the price (75RM) it isn't worth it - save 25RM and brave the shared facilities (which we didn't use so can't comment on). Toilet didn't flush so you have to use the hose, and it wasn't cleaned during our stay so it got smelly. Also the shower pipe leaked so the floor was always wet.

Room itself wasn't particularly clean, bits of random debris under the bed as if they had only very quickly swept out the room in 10 seconds flat. All it would require is a few more minutes sweeping a bit more carefully! Mozzie net was in desperate need of washing too. Door locked only from the outside with a padlock, didn't even shut properly from the inside so had to be propped shut. No big deal as we are used to camping/dorm rooms where there is very little security while you sleep. Concerning to read on here though that only a couple of weeks before someone had money stolen. As always though, a lock on a door doesn't stop a determined thief, keep your valuables on your person in a money belt or under your pillow!

The food was good at the cafe, the guy can definitely cook and makes some tasty dishes. Problem is that he is the only cook and it is all made to order, consequently if you order after another table has just placed an order, expect to wait up to an hour (which we did once for a cheese sandwich!). Not too big a deal as likely you are just chilling out anyway, but don't wait until you're too hungry before you order! Also because of the rush, the food isn't always cooked for long enough, so had some rock hard potato in a curry and not quite cooked through meat. For a bit of variety and for more timely meals (and better quality but more expensive), walk down to Petani beach which is only 15 minutes walk down the paved path on the left hand side of the beach as you look out to sea.

The staff were actually very friendly and usually helpful. The younger guy sorted us out on the first day and was friendly and chatty. He has a very cute pet otter which is another unique selling point about this place. The older bloke is totally off his rocker, but in a fun way. If you are lucky he'll invite you on a late night boat trip to drink whisky at Long Beach... The soundtrack to your stay here will be him singing merrily away or loudly proclaiming "Oh my God!". Again though, they are firmly on island time (combined with being understaffed) so don't expect anything in a hurry.

So the general feeling was that the place was very poorly managed. While we were there there were only 2 members of staff which is probably the main problem, especially as they are manning the cafe a lot of the time. The management definitely appear to be resting on their laurels of location and rustic appeal, without bothering to invest in maintenance, staff etc. This is a real shame as if it were properly managed it could be one of the best rustic island resort experiences going.

Room Tip: Don't bother with en-suite
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank liamdw
Reviewed May 11, 2011

After I paid for a water taxi to take me (and my heavy backpack) over from Coral Bay to the Mira Beach resort I was informed that the booking I had made (in person) the previous day would not be honoured, as the seafront room I had reserved was 'double booked'. I was offered two alternative, inferior rooms that did not compare to the one I had been promised the previous day. The first was a poorly constructed hut with huge insect-inviting holes in its walls, set back from the beach, almost inside the jungle. The second stood by the seafront, but was clearly never used as it was completely empty and falling down! I've stayed in some very dubious places during the last 11 months of my travels, but normally at least the prices reflect the standards.

Despite my reservation being placed first, in person, and my having arrived first to check-in, it was me who had to suffer for the booking error and not the other tourists who had reserved from the mainland. This was particularly aggravating as when I had attempted to make a reservation over the phone (before setting foot on the Perhentians) I was told it couldn't be done, which is why I had left it until I arrived on the island in the first place! To top it all off, I also had to pay the resort's taxi driver to take me back to Coral Bay in search of somewhere else to stay. The staff were very blasé and didn't feel the need to apologise.

If you really want to stay at this place, good luck: the beach at Mira is better kept than others on the island, and I'm sure the seafront huts are nice if you can get one. However you can stay in better/much cheaper accommodation at Coral Bay and walk to Mira Beach along a paved track in half an hour, without risking disappointment at the hands of the incompetent staff.

• Stayed: April 2011
3  Thank burtbird
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Please be careful with your belongings. I had a lot of cash stolen from my room when I was sleeping. The manager / owner was extremely unhelpful, then kicked us out of his hotel.

After emailing with the owner several times over two months, we paid a deposit in person to reserve one of the basic chalets on the beachfront. The owner did not respect our reservation, was defensive about his oversight, and told us to sleep in a different room instead for the first night. We had misgivings about his shady behavior, but decided to stay anyway. We'd been seduced by the isolated location, simple living, and beautiful sunset.

That night, after a good dinner at Mira's cafe, we went to sleep. In the morning, my bag had been pulled down, dragged across the floor, unzipped. About $800 USD in cash - which had been deeply tucked in the bag - was stolen. The owner kept trying to discourage me from going to the police. He insisted that no similar robberies had happened before. When I decided to file a report anyway, neither he nor his staff offered to accompany us. The police told us we should leave Mira, that thefts had happened before and it was not safe. When we returned to Mira with the police, the owner / manager told us it would be pointless to follow up with the investigation. He made us leave, claiming his place was no longer safe since we arrived - essentially blaming us for his unsecure cabins. I don't recall him apologizing even once. He refused to take us by boat to seek new lodgings.

If you must stay for the cheap prices and great location, please be vigilant with your belongings.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank nyny7272
Reviewed April 20, 2011

This place is paradise, we picked it at Random and it was our first impression of the island. The rooms are basically sheds, but if you are into roughing it a little, you will be love the experience as you wake up each morning to the sound of squirrels, lizards and geckos and other strange widlife. Enjoy delicious meals on the restaurant deck before snorkling along the rocks where you will see spectacular neon fish and then relax on the beautiful quiet beach.
The staff were so friendly, Lon (or Lom) was especially fun and played cards with us and told us all about the fish on the island.
I must warn you though, if you arrive here and think that the rest of the island will be this beautiful, think again, long beach and coral bay were quite gross, over commercialised and westernised, with garbage and stinking sewerage hidden behind the beach front.

Room Tip: They don't take bookings
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
#4 of 14 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil
Perhentian Tropicana Inn
Perhentian Tropicana Inn
#8 of 10 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil

Been to Keranji Beach? Share your experiences!