“Satisfied!”

Shari-La Island Resort
Antwerp, Belgium
“Satisfied!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

When we arrived at Kecil island, we didn't have a place to stay yet. This one seemed too expensive, so we went to see all the other ones first... Most of them ware so unfriendly and unwilling to even help us... Other ones were so expensive i didn't even want to see the rooms. Another one was quite expensive, ànd the room was really stinky (they said it was because it was just renovated... yeah right!)
So we returned to Shari-La Resort. The staff was very friendly and helpful! They hadn't standard rooms available, only a 'budget' room. It was not really nice, but it was cheap, and we decided to stay there for one night, because they said there was a big chance that a standard room would be available the next day... and it was! we stayed for 4 nights in a standard room. It was cleaned every day, and it was surely big enough!
The food in the hotel (buffet) and the bbq is really good and not expensive (i expected a higher price since this is a resort...). They also have a 'private romantic beach', with some seats. It's very quiet and you can snorkel and see loooots of fishes really close by the beach.
The staff reserved our boat ticket when we left and gave us information about the bus we wanted to take to the next city.
We also did our laundry there, and had free wifi in the hotel. Very friendly staff and clean hotel!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank sylveske

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Not really sure how I feel about this place. The rooms are nice and fairly spacious but the bathrooms are another matter; the drain is by the toilet and the angle of the shower head is not adjustable so it goes everywhere. If you just wanted to go into the bathroom to brush your teeth in the evening the floor would still be wet as the draining is inefficient. Coral bay was very small and crammed with people and the sea is full of rocks. I'd suggest taking a 10 min walk (past Ewan's cafe which was fantastic) to Long beach which is beautiful. The food at the hotel was OK but the service wasn't very good at all. I sound like I'm slating this hotel and Western Perhentian Kecil but as I write this I'm sat in KBC on Kapas island and Perhentian doesn't even come close.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

We have been there for 4day/3nights, Room conditions is well keep & cleaned.
A lot of services in the hotel such as excursions, snorkeling, island tour, etc...
Good location in the bay because near the quay and easy with suitcases.
Buffet breakfast/lunch/dinner an average. Will be there again for next vactions

Room Tip: Do not expect 5 star service once your travel to island.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Wricc
Fontenay-sous-Bois, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We have been there for 4 days. Apparently the bedroom look like clean but it wasn't... and all the hotel wasn't cleaned.
In the room there was a small fridge, not so clean and empty. (I thought a fridge in a hotel should be full, no?)

Chairs and sofas were grey, very dirty and teared up. Buffet are not good because after i've had stomach pains!

The price is high and the hotel is not clean - the staff is not always kind and helpful.
During our trip, there were cockroaches in the bathroom and in the morning one in the BED!!!

We made a complain but they have just changed our room in a budget room... there was a BIG COCKROACH again (7cm!!!) in the bathroom!! They sent us a staff member and tried to kill it with mosquito gas!!.. no really? come on!

After the manager changed again our room and have again a standard... but he requested to pay for this room!!
Where's the goodwill gestures? none! just told us "if you want complain, do this on Tripadvisor" so I did.

I think they don't deserve it to have a positive certificate from TripAdvisor.
If my friends and colleagues ask me an advice for a hotel there, it will be not this one

Shame on you!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank kazu17

Travelers are raving about these Pulau Perhentian Kecil hotels

Abidjan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

Very big domain with a lot of bungalows (70 I think) with all prices, under the trees, and some bungalows with seaview.
Correct and nice room, TV, air condition, a lot of wood, good bedding, no wifi in the room but at the reception, good bathroom but not always hot water.
One day, I found a cockroach ! room is cleaned when we ask only but no problem. Ants in the room somtimes but difficult to avoid because of the vegetation and humidity.
Deck chairs on terrace but dirty so impossible to use. Velvet armchairs in the room in tropical islands ==> bad choice !!!!!
Very correct buffet breakfast with magnifical view on the sea in the morning.
Good location in the bay because near the quay and easy with suitcases.
Small beach behind the hotel but no maintenance. Deck chairs dirty and used and not enough.
Sometimes, buffet in the evening but it's better to go on the beach.
Too expensive for the quality.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank levret33
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

Just had a getaway at Shari-la last weekend but it was utterly disappointing.

1. Service:
Firstly, our plans were ruined as the staff gave me the wrong information over phone to get to Shari-la. We not only spent more than planned on transport, there was so much waiting time. Left Singapore at 10pm and only reached Perhentian island the next day at 6pm. Missed our first snorkeling trip that was at 2pm. I emailed them to call me to give me the right direction but they only gave me an email reply hours later to ask: "Where are you now?". Totally helped :/ When I feedback to them via email, I got no reply either. They only reply fast when it comes to room confirmation and payment.

We misplaced a pair of new Raybans at the reception. Only minutes later, they claimed not to have seen it when we called the receptionist up.

On our last day, the reception booked a pair of coach back to Singapore for us. When we collected the tickets (outside of the island)

2. Food
For dinner, we paid 20RM each for BBQ fish and free flow of fried rice, fried bee hoon, bread pudding, fruits and orange juice. The price's great but food was cold and the bread pudding was not fresh at all. Perhaps for the price, we cannot complain much. The next day, we went elsewhere that served better food (Can try Mama's Cafe that is nearby). The free breakfast buffet was not fantastic either.

3. Room
We got the suite (came with 2 double beds) for 980RM because every other standard room was taken. Only book this room if you are with 3 other people or your family. We had no choice. The bathroom was clean although i expected a bathtub for a suite room. Be prepared to be bitten by mosquitoes at night so its better to keep one light on.

4. Snorkelling
This has to be the only memorable part of the trip. It was part of our free&easy package. There were 2 trips on separate days - 10am trip and 2pm trip. I assume both trips bring us to different points. However, we only enjoyed the 2pm trip, that brought us to 4 points (lighthouse, shark point, turtle pt and one last one I forgot the name), as we arrived the resort late the first day (as mentioned earlier). My fave has to be viewing the corals and schools of fishes passing by me at the lighthouse.

I guess what makes any holiday great is not so much about the food or room but the how the locals treat us. Right from the start, the service from Shari-la sucked and we only met dishonest locals along the way. I guess that completely spoilt the whole trip for us. We paid too much for a pathetic trip to an island and we are never going back to Malaysia after encountering dishonest locals. I am still waiting for an email reply from the resort management. I believe a trip to a further place like vietnam or BKK will be more value-for-money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank saltdcaramel
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

I stayed in a deluxe garden view. Everything worked appropriately including the a/c. The biggest advantage of this hotel is the location. There was good to very good off beach snorkeling from three beaches practically on the hotel grounds. The best snorkeling is farthest away from the the hotels beach food hut/stairs. Additionally the hotel is at one end of coral beach and a 5-10 minute walk to long beach. Ewans restaurant is next door to the hotel.

Breakfast was fine and had a great view from the restaurant.

I found the snorkeling trips/everything on Kecil to be cheaper than the trips on Besar.

Room Tip: Clothes did not dry easily in our garden view but laundry was available at the convenient store next...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TokyoDroid
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pulau Perhentian Kecil
BuBu Long Beach Resort
BuBu Long Beach Resort
#1 of 7 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resort
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resor...
#4 of 10 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
#4 of 14 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil
Perhentian Island Resort
Perhentian Island Resort
#3 of 10 in Pulau Perhentian Besar

Been to Shari-La Island Resort? Share your experiences!