“Staffs were not friendly and room is dirty”
Review of Flora Bay Resort

Flora Bay Resort
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights. Accommodation was very basic, small and dirty. Food was terribly bad and expensive. Walk further to dine. Look for other place to stay instead. By the way, Dive center was superb.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank EllyTCS
There are newer reviews for Flora Bay Resort

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Like i said 80% of staff were nice and attentive. But there was problems also.
Its in a perfect place, just front of the beach in a paradise island.
We were playing beach volley and resorts staff were joined us, it was very much fun!!! :)

They make good milk shakes in that restaurant, but they make thousand mistakes in that restaurant.

Room Tip: Don't take chicken sandwich, theres no chicken inside of it. But if you are a 3 year old boy, an...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mic V
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Stayed here for five nights and did eight dives. The accommodation was, while quite basic, comfortable and peaceful. I recommend an air-conditioned chalet with hot showers. The menu in the restaurant is varied with western and Malaysian food. Alcohol is not served at the resort. If you like to have a drink in the evening, just walk along the beach to one of the other resorts which serve beer and wine. Staff at the dive center are very experienced, friendly and fun to be around.

Room Tip: Any room that is air-conditined is good, however, I think that the seaview rooms would be better!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Russells_Holidays
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

They charged us for 2 rooms when we wanted to change our room to one with cable TV. And guess what? The new room with the cable TV didn't even work....total cheaters.
They don't even have a reasonable excuse for charging us for 2 rooms...would not recommend this place to anyone.. Totally unreasonable.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Thomas L
Reviewed May 11, 2014

The first thing was, that we wanted to make a reservation for our room and we waited for like 10 days that they confirmed it. We got our reservation 1 day before we came to Perhentian Besar.. it took them a really long time to answer to my emails.
Maybe it was misunderstanding, but when we arrived the receptionist told us that the next day we have breakfast from (not sure anymore) 7:30 until 10:30. She didn't say that this was just to inform us and it is not for free, but she just told us hours, so that we know them for the next day. So the next morning we went to have some breakfast and they told us that buffet breakfast is not for us and that we have to pay for it. Why would you than told us that? We can have payed breakfast anywhere, not only in Flora resort... Food was also not really good, lets say average..

The other thing about which I was disappointed, were garbage on the beach.. a lot of people (I think they were local) were on the beach, and they left so so so many garbage (from plastic bags, bottles, etc.. it was really a negative overall impression, because the beach is beautiful, but you cannot swim in a sea full of plastic bags and stuff, and you cannot lay on the beach if you are surrounded by trash everywhere.. I think that resorts on the beach should have had some guards to tell people to stop doing that!
On the other hand, our chalet was nice, with an awesome beach/ocean view which we really really liked.
I would not stay here again.. actually I would not stay on this beach if I would visit Besar again, because there is not so much of happening and also food is not good almost anywhere on this beach.. PIR is better, with much more choice!

Room Tip: chose a room with a sea view, that's all :)
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Booked a Seaview Deluxe for my family, but since we were separated from the rest (as they were in the Seaside View chalets), we changed to the Seaside View with an added bed. It was cramped as the room was quite small. (Not blaming them tho). I was ok with it.

I must say the service here was good, the staff were attentive and quick to respond to requests. The buffet food was so-so, but if you order ala-carte I think it tastes better. The teh tarik is nice.

Ambient wise, very relaxing..I just love the beach and the sea breeze. They provided hammocks under the trees, my baby fell asleep every time we put her in there. The view is magnificent, although the sunrise and sunset were behind the hills, it did not stop us from getting awesome pictures.

Flora Bay Divers were quite expensive, they charge RM100 for a dive, unlike its neighbour, Fauna Reef Diver, only RM80/dive.

Overall I wouldn't mind coming here again, but I bet there are better places around.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Leyana W
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I stayed in the garden fan(RM 70/night). Pre-booked for 2 nights before and end up staying 6 nights!!! The reception is quite friendly, always looking for ways to help you. They help me settle my boat ticket and the bus ticket from Jerteh to JB. There was no information that there are bus tickets(Jerteh-JB) but they make it happen! This proves that the resort reception is key to making the stay and departure a nice one.
The room is non AC but is good enough for me as I was no budget. Strong fan, cold water and balcony chairs. I stayed on the second floor and left my personal balcony window open for fresh air. A few mosquitoes but not a problem. The food is standard and can be billed to your room so that you pay before you left the resort. Wifi is chargable but I have my own devices of internet(hehehe). Several hammocks in the beaches, I practically lye there most of the time if I am not diving.
Pulau Besar is a more quiet place than the small island. Suit me, I dunno about your preferences. But book beforehand, cos I almost got to sleep on the beach as I forget to extend my nights and a big group of tourist is coming. Luckily, the reception solved it. Hahaha. Nice place

Room Tip: For garden fan rooms, choose the second floor. More personal and private.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank JapKoreanThai
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pulau Perhentian Besar
Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & Beach Chalet
Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & B...
#8 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Coral View Island Resort
Coral View Island Resort
#3 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resort
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resor...
#5 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Perhentian Island Resort
Perhentian Island Resort
#4 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Perhentian Tuna Bay Island Resort
Perhentian Tuna Bay Island Resor...
#2 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Shari-La Island Resort
Shari-La Island Resort
#5 of 7 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil

Been to Flora Bay Resort? Share your experiences!