“Rip off!!!”

and 1 more site!
Flora Bay Resort
“Rip off!!!”
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

They charged us for 2 rooms when we wanted to change our room to one with cable TV. And guess what? The new room with the cable TV didn't even work....total cheaters.
They don't even have a reasonable excuse for charging us for 2 rooms...would not recommend this place to anyone.. Totally unreasonable.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Thomas L

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed May 11, 2014

The first thing was, that we wanted to make a reservation for our room and we waited for like 10 days that they confirmed it. We got our reservation 1 day before we came to Perhentian Besar.. it took them a really long time to answer to my emails.
Maybe it was misunderstanding, but when we arrived the receptionist told us that the next day we have breakfast from (not sure anymore) 7:30 until 10:30. She didn't say that this was just to inform us and it is not for free, but she just told us hours, so that we know them for the next day. So the next morning we went to have some breakfast and they told us that buffet breakfast is not for us and that we have to pay for it. Why would you than told us that? We can have payed breakfast anywhere, not only in Flora resort... Food was also not really good, lets say average..

The other thing about which I was disappointed, were garbage on the beach.. a lot of people (I think they were local) were on the beach, and they left so so so many garbage (from plastic bags, bottles, etc.. it was really a negative overall impression, because the beach is beautiful, but you cannot swim in a sea full of plastic bags and stuff, and you cannot lay on the beach if you are surrounded by trash everywhere.. I think that resorts on the beach should have had some guards to tell people to stop doing that!
On the other hand, our chalet was nice, with an awesome beach/ocean view which we really really liked.
I would not stay here again.. actually I would not stay on this beach if I would visit Besar again, because there is not so much of happening and also food is not good almost anywhere on this beach.. PIR is better, with much more choice!

Room Tip: chose a room with a sea view, that's all :)
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Pulau Perhentian Besar hotels

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Booked a Seaview Deluxe for my family, but since we were separated from the rest (as they were in the Seaside View chalets), we changed to the Seaside View with an added bed. It was cramped as the room was quite small. (Not blaming them tho). I was ok with it.

I must say the service here was good, the staff were attentive and quick to respond to requests. The buffet food was so-so, but if you order ala-carte I think it tastes better. The teh tarik is nice.

Ambient wise, very relaxing..I just love the beach and the sea breeze. They provided hammocks under the trees, my baby fell asleep every time we put her in there. The view is magnificent, although the sunrise and sunset were behind the hills, it did not stop us from getting awesome pictures.

Flora Bay Divers were quite expensive, they charge RM100 for a dive, unlike its neighbour, Fauna Reef Diver, only RM80/dive.

Overall I wouldn't mind coming here again, but I bet there are better places around.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Leyana W
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I stayed in the garden fan(RM 70/night). Pre-booked for 2 nights before and end up staying 6 nights!!! The reception is quite friendly, always looking for ways to help you. They help me settle my boat ticket and the bus ticket from Jerteh to JB. There was no information that there are bus tickets(Jerteh-JB) but they make it happen! This proves that the resort reception is key to making the stay and departure a nice one.
The room is non AC but is good enough for me as I was no budget. Strong fan, cold water and balcony chairs. I stayed on the second floor and left my personal balcony window open for fresh air. A few mosquitoes but not a problem. The food is standard and can be billed to your room so that you pay before you left the resort. Wifi is chargable but I have my own devices of internet(hehehe). Several hammocks in the beaches, I practically lye there most of the time if I am not diving.
Pulau Besar is a more quiet place than the small island. Suit me, I dunno about your preferences. But book beforehand, cos I almost got to sleep on the beach as I forget to extend my nights and a big group of tourist is coming. Luckily, the reception solved it. Hahaha. Nice place

Room Tip: For garden fan rooms, choose the second floor. More personal and private.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank JapKoreanThai
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Booked the seaview room. a bit expensive but Was very happy with the condition of the room. (pictures attached)

The areas of improvement will be the extra plugs/extension that i personally think any visitor should bring on their own because in each room they will only provide 1 plug.

Room is clean . The downside i would say the customer service and the food quality. Food quality is not even at average par for the price i paid.

there is 2 flora. So ensure u asked for the new flora areas, the room is newer. the old flora is a bit run down.

Room Tip: I choose seaview, the first room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Krockz77
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

I booked a fan room but I was given an air con room. I told the guy who was showing me to my room that I had booked fan but he said it was fine. They then charged me the air con price when I left which was more or less double. Also the waiters in the restaurant aren't very friendly and sit in front of the tv and don't notice you coming in/wanting to order. The room was very nice but the bathroom let it down.

• Stayed October 2013
Selangor
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stay in a small room and because it is hidden behind another chalet,we can't really get to see the sea view and hardly any breath of a fresh air from ocean but we have to accept it.But the toilet is very clean and the bed is average and a a bit hard.We get another small mattress for the extra guest that is our child but there is no air conditioner provided there so we decided to sleep on the floor at night because it was too hot and very uncomfortable to sleep on the bed,so even with the extra mattress it us useless really as we're not even using it.But in the contrary the beauty of the island itself had make us wanted to stay longer.It is peaceful at night as it was so quiet,you may hear a sound from the nearby jungle and it is peaceful for us.There a are a lot of snorkeling and diving trip that offers a great experience for those who would love to see the deep blue sea creatures,some of them that we spot there is the turtle,a variety of fish and there are sharks too!We had so much fun swimming with them and it is worth it!The food is good and tasty but a bit overprice.Maybe because of a long distance from the mainland to get the food there.But for me it is a good stay,maybe they need some more improvement to make the stay more comfortable in the future,I hope it does not take too much time for me to wait as I'll definitely be coming back to visit this place with my family again soon :)

Room Tip: Rooms with the sea views offer a nice scenery but rooms at the back without a sea view is good too f...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Coral View Island Resort
Coral View Island Resort
#3 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resort
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resor...
#5 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
#5 of 7 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil
BuBu Long Beach Resort
BuBu Long Beach Resort
#1 of 7 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil

Been to Flora Bay Resort? Share your experiences!