“Average but acceptable”
Review of Flora Bay Resort

Flora Bay Resort
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We booked the A-frame garden view for 5 nights and overall, we are of opinion that our stay at Flora Bay Resort (FBR) was of average but acceptable level. Location wise, it is on the less busy east side of Perhentian Besar which suited us perfectly. As for the restaurant's food quality, both ala-carte & BBQ (alternate nights), it was nothing to shout about...just normal and acceptable. There are other better food options at nearby B'First Cafe and Arwana but their meals are more costlier.

Good points :-

3) room charges does not include any meals
4) no kettle available - only have thermos flask
5) only temperature and swing mode settings available for aircon
6) only 1 power point available for usage and charging of applicances

Room Tip: IMPORTANT Bring along a multiple point adapter for usage/charging of multiple appliances and/or cam...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank average22

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Rooms look good from exterior but inside is totally different.
Room size is acceptable
Cleanliness is acceptable
Bathroom is poor
Lighting in room is poor
Breakfast is just so so
Mosquitoes everywhere

Beach is good

Room Tip: Fan room and aircond room is about the same. Get the cheapest one.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank siauhwa
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed with my two other divers friends at end of May2013.
On arrival, I already feel good for the white sandy beach, clean area with lots of trees, and secluded resort. We had the family room with 2 queen bed, with air-conditioner (you need aircond as the temperature was quite hot during our stay).
Basics amenities were provided, soap, shampoo, towel, fridge, and thermos for hot water.
As other travellers commented about no jetty, finally they prepared a simple jetty during my stay.
Restaurant food reasonably good, with BBQ buffet dinner that you shouldn't miss for fresh seafood grill.
There is also a gift shop with reasonable price of souvenirs.
Diving center is within the resort where you can also have certification for scuba diving. I met American-Texas friend who came with his 15 year old son to get him Open Water Certification.
All diving sites at Perhentian Island only within 20 minutes by boat from the resort, and you can see lots of beautiful marine life.
Overall, I like the place and definitely will bring my family for my next trip to Pulau Perhentian.

Room Tip: Choose sea view room, worth the beautiful view and white sandy beach
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We rented a hillview chalet cost around RM60 per night for 2pax, but we manage to talk it out to allow 4 people in, it is quite cramped, but we manage it somehow.

Upon arrival there is no jetty to drop off passengers, only a small wooden ledge to bring people from boat to dry beach. I don't know if this is a matter for anyone but for me its quite beautiful that they preserve the natural beach figure.

The foods here are mix of western and asian cooking, oh and the best part is for every Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, for rm25 per person, they have a BBQ seafood buffet.

The beach is a bit harsh with corals on feet, but its the same thing with most coral beaches. There is a snorkeling post near the beach, but only if you are willing to swim a bit far, about 100m of to the right end of the beach.
If you like nature, there is a jungle tracking path heading towards Bubu Beach and camping ground, there are abandoned old shacks and buildings along the way to get some rest or do some photo splendor.
If you want some nightlife, this part of the beach offers none. There is no festive atmosphere here, only calmness of the beach.
For divers, there are plenty of diver lodge here, and this resort also had its own divers lodge, and i think one of the most active on the beach.

Room Tip: If you are renting the small room, bring plug extension, believe me with four of us have phones, cam...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank azraieruslim
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We had been travelling for weeks so we were a little bit tired and decided to take a break and go to the beach so we came to Perhentian, the beaches were amazing, it is the best place to do some scuba diving ( I got my Scuba diver certificate there). This hotel has medium cabins with a nice veranda, our everyday view was the sea and that was awesome. The food and the service in this hotel was in general good. Other restaurants nerby had the same kind of food, nice but simple ( the speciality was of course fish). This is not an all inclusive so you did not have the feeling that you were just a sheep following the rest, I had the feeling I had privacy and time to enjoy the beach.
There was a nice restaurant nearby, you can take a boat taxi and visit other beaches/restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Lamossella
Reviewed August 29, 2012

After reading the reviews, I wasn't expecting much about the room. The room was basic; the bathroom was filthy. One thing that bothered me was how unhelpful and unfriendly the staff members were. For instance, one of the staff at the restaurant seemed to be annoyed because were asking questions regarding some of the dishes??? WiFi was not available while we were there due to capacity... There are no outlets for charging your own devices. On the plus side, the beach is nice and safe for little kids; although the beach on the other side of the island was much nicer. The food was decent and affordable; the fried rice was tasty.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank JKANYC
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My fiance and I had a really wonderful week on the island, but that is mainly due to the fact it's a beautiful peaceful location, and not anything to do with the hotel itself.

We stayed for 7 nights at Flora Bay. I found the service appalling - unfriendly, incompetent, slow. The staff responded much better to my male partner than they did to me. For example, our bathroom light broke one night, so in the morning I went to reception to ask for it to be fixed. Nothing got done about this for the whole morning/afternoon, so when my fiance got back from diving he went to ask them again to fix it. Eventually, despite having the whole day to do this, three members of staff turned up to fix the light at about 6pm, just when we wanted to have our showers and get ready for the evening. They took over half an hour.

The room was average - we paid extra to have a Seaview Deluxe room. The money was only worth it in terms of being right on the beach and listening to the waves at night. Oh, and having Air Con was great. But the room was not up to scratch! Faded decor and poor quality furniture. My towel smelt of prawns!

The bathroom was disgusting - horrible old tiles, smelly, and adjoined to the next door chalet bathrooms. There was an open space over the top of the two bathrooms, so you could hear everything that went on next door... not too pleasant. We also had nightly cockroach and ant massacres - luckily I am not too scared of cockroaches but I know some people cannot stand them!

The food was very average at Flora Bay. Service appalling - we waited an hour one night for our food. To be honest, the food wasn't amazing anywhere on this stretch of beach - the best place we ate was Alu Alu chalet along the beach. We also enjoyed BBQ fish in the small restaurant next to Flora. So if you're a big foodie, this might not be your scene.

No alcohol served or sold at Flora, but 5 mins down the beach was B Chalet, which sold cans of beer at RM10, glasses of Hardys wine at RM20.

The one thing my fiance in particular loved about our stay was the FLORA DIVERS. He did a 4 day Open Water PADI scuba diving course, absolutely loved it. The staff and instructors over there were brilliant.

I would not return to Flora Bay and wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends. I expected fairly basic after reading some of the reviews, but this was worse than I anticipated, and having paid the extra price for the 'Deluxe' room just adds insult to injury!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dave G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pulau Perhentian Besar
Watercolours Resort & Dive Centre
Watercolours Resort & Dive Centr...
#7 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Coral View Island Resort
Coral View Island Resort
#3 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Perhentian Tuna Bay Island Resort
Perhentian Tuna Bay Island Resor...
#1 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resort
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resor...
#5 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar

Been to Flora Bay Resort? Share your experiences!