“Basic accommodations - Unhelpful staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Flora Bay Resort

Flora Bay Resort
New York City, New York
“Basic accommodations - Unhelpful staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

After reading the reviews, I wasn't expecting much about the room. The room was basic; the bathroom was filthy. One thing that bothered me was how unhelpful and unfriendly the staff members were. For instance, one of the staff at the restaurant seemed to be annoyed because were asking questions regarding some of the dishes??? WiFi was not available while we were there due to capacity... There are no outlets for charging your own devices. On the plus side, the beach is nice and safe for little kids; although the beach on the other side of the island was much nicer. The food was decent and affordable; the fried rice was tasty.

2 Thank JKANYC

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

My fiance and I had a really wonderful week on the island, but that is mainly due to the fact it's a beautiful peaceful location, and not anything to do with the hotel itself.

We stayed for 7 nights at Flora Bay. I found the service appalling - unfriendly, incompetent, slow. The staff responded much better to my male partner than they did to me. For example, our bathroom light broke one night, so in the morning I went to reception to ask for it to be fixed. Nothing got done about this for the whole morning/afternoon, so when my fiance got back from diving he went to ask them again to fix it. Eventually, despite having the whole day to do this, three members of staff turned up to fix the light at about 6pm, just when we wanted to have our showers and get ready for the evening. They took over half an hour.

The room was average - we paid extra to have a Seaview Deluxe room. The money was only worth it in terms of being right on the beach and listening to the waves at night. Oh, and having Air Con was great. But the room was not up to scratch! Faded decor and poor quality furniture. My towel smelt of prawns!

The bathroom was disgusting - horrible old tiles, smelly, and adjoined to the next door chalet bathrooms. There was an open space over the top of the two bathrooms, so you could hear everything that went on next door... not too pleasant. We also had nightly cockroach and ant massacres - luckily I am not too scared of cockroaches but I know some people cannot stand them!

The food was very average at Flora Bay. Service appalling - we waited an hour one night for our food. To be honest, the food wasn't amazing anywhere on this stretch of beach - the best place we ate was Alu Alu chalet along the beach. We also enjoyed BBQ fish in the small restaurant next to Flora. So if you're a big foodie, this might not be your scene.

No alcohol served or sold at Flora, but 5 mins down the beach was B Chalet, which sold cans of beer at RM10, glasses of Hardys wine at RM20.

The one thing my fiance in particular loved about our stay was the FLORA DIVERS. He did a 4 day Open Water PADI scuba diving course, absolutely loved it. The staff and instructors over there were brilliant.

I would not return to Flora Bay and wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends. I expected fairly basic after reading some of the reviews, but this was worse than I anticipated, and having paid the extra price for the 'Deluxe' room just adds insult to injury!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dave G

Travelers are raving about these Pulau Perhentian Besar hotels

Hamburg, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

I have stayed in the Flora Bay 1 for 4 nights, as I couldn't find any other available accomodation on the Islands during the high season in Mid-August.

It was an absolutely appaling experience, for various reasons:

Staff
The colleagues were so ignorant and unfriendly, I dont even have words to describe.
I asked if I can leave me luggage anywhere on check out day for only 3 hours, it was denied. I asked if I can leave at least my valuable things in the safe during that time. It was denied!
I asked for the manager, the owner came and he was the most ignorant and unfriendly person I have met throughout my whole stay in Indonesia.
IWhen I asked why I cannot leave it in the safe I got the explanation, that all backpackers are a bit dumb and don't understand anything. Thus no proper answer but an offence in return.
The colleagues were similar. Not rude, but plainly ignorant to whatever you ask for, may it be information or a favour.

Room
1. Upon booking we were told we get a family room, but we did get only a tiny, small double room, so small, you could hardly move or even put you things anywhere.
2. The matrass was the worst I had in the 3 weeks in Malaysia. You could feel every spring.
3. The room was dirty, there was something that looked like mice poo on the bed, I also moved one chair, as I wanted to place my luggage on top... bad idea. It looked beneath the stool, like it had not been cleaned in years.
4. The bathroom was a disaster, it was disguisting and smelling. Fungus in the walls, the toilet was leaking on the floor, the door to the main room could not be closed properly, so the smell was all over the room.
5. The room itself was dark, only one lamp, so you could see very little during the evenings.
6. There was no power oulet in the room for own use.Only one was used for the fan and there was a sign, that you are not allowed to charge any own devices there. Excuse me???????

Public Area
1. One the first look, it seems all ok, the Lobby looks kind of clean
2. Bathrooms are disguisting
3. The restaurant is huge, bright, far away from the beach and TV is constantly running with loud volume. Reminds more of a train station that a restaurant on a "Paradise Island"
4. You have to pay for the Wifi, are only allowed to use 1 device after paying and 90% of the time, the WIFI did not work and the colleauges are shurgging it off when you ask them what happened.

Location
1. All Chalets are so close together, with small walks only between them. ONly 2 of the maybe 50 rooms have something like a view. The others, also the more expensive ones have only views towards walls and other rooms. So sitting on the balcony for relaxation is a "no go"
2. Beach is not so great. On the other side of the Island (30 min walk) the beach is way better
3. There is an awesome restaurant with friendly staff 5 min down the beach (1st Chalet its called). Food is great and the staff is soooooooo friendly. It really makes you relaxed after meeting the people at the Flora 1 and Flora 2.

I would never stay there again.

1 Thank MySunnyDays1
Selangor
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

There was a balance of advantages and disadvantages of the place, mostly depending on your preference.

Summary:
1. Rooms
Disadvantages
- Toilets could do with refurbishing to make them look cleaner and more comfortable/decent.
- It would be good to have brighter lights.
- The walls needs some patching up (my room had a part of paint peeled off).
- Some rooms faced insect issues.
Advantages
- The rooms are simple enough to feel slightly comfortable but not luxurious (gives you the "feel" of a chalet)
- A tap is prepared outside to wash your feet (I like this idea ;p)

2. Restaurant/food
I only went to one restaurant, which was located at the main lobby.
- Food was good (in our group's opinion)
- Prices were reasonable
- Variety of choices

3. Location
Disadvantages
- If you are particular about the sand like I am, then this one isn't as nice. The seabed was muddy. When too many people play at the same area, that area will become cloudy. (There was nicer sands at other resorts like Perhentian Island Resort & Bubu Long Beach)
Advantages
- The beach was nice, with hammocks set up at several locations.
- Kayak rentals and snorkelling gear rentals were readily available.
- The were several nice places for snorkelling.

4. Service
I didn't come across much issues with service, however, management of the resort was not so good.
- Service was only so so, because I travelled in a group, so there were times when people complained about a staff at the restaurant, but at other times they would say that they are nice people.
- Management was slightly poor, as we came across issues like the air cond. broke down in the middle of the night, or too many insects in the room, toilets being less clean, etc.
- The worst experience I had here was when we went to the spring water beach during our island hopping trip. We placed watermelons in the spring to cool, (the water was indeed VERY COLD) and what happened was one of the staff wanted to show his "ego" to the girls, so he initially wanted to steal the watermelon, (we didn't remove it because we didn't want to appear as if we didn't trust them), instead, he crushed the watermelon, ATE some of it, and THREW it back in the spring area. Which later on, we found out he worked at Fauna beach activities hut (which was just in front of our rooms!)

Other disadvantages:
1. no phone reception (this is good for those who want a getaway from work! hehe!)

Improvements
1. Hotel does need some refurbishing, especially to the toilets.
2. In my opinion, they need to at least put a few lights for those who stay further from the main lobby, because it is very very dark.
3. Management needs to improve in terms of maintaining the chalets (like bug control!).

Overall, it depends on what you are looking for.
For those who do not mind having less comfort and enjoy the outdoors, perfect.
For those who want a bit more comfort while enjoying the outdoors, I'd recommend that you choose some place else.

2 Thank CassieLeow
Newry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

After leaving the dirty Fauna Resort beside this, we thought that the Flora would be a great improvement. The main check-in area is very nice. The restaurant is good, though we waited 1hr 55min for our food... The room was ok. It was clean and the AC worked. Why do I give it 1 star I hear you ask? Well, I must say that the attitude of the majority of the staff is amazing... Amazingly BAD! Without boring you with details, I just think that these people don't enjoy what they're doing...I've NEVER experienced this type of attitude.... I would not return! I recommend B'First apartments, just up the beach... Not as nice rooms, but lovely people and AMAZING FOOD! Plus, unlike the other Muslim resorts you can get a beer and not feel like an infidel!!!!!!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Nice dive sites
Air con in rooms
Comfy beds
Clean room
Room had a porch with chairs
Hammocks on beach
Free book exchange

The cons:
Dingey bathroom
The food in the resort and every other restaurant on the beach was AWFUL
Public toilets never ever had toilet paper
The shop closed at random hours through the day
The irish guy at the dive school was unfriendly to the point of being rude
You had to pay for wifi, that rarely worked
Reception didn't know about travelling on to other destinations
Anytime we had a query for reception, they told us to come back later

• Stayed August 2012
Cranleigh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

The rooms were fairly clean - bathrooms basic, a few ants scurrying around - but nothing to worry about. Aircon and fan worked. Rooms were bright and small balcony was comfortable to sit outside on. Food at the restaurant was good but service was slow!! It was Ramadan, so the restaurant was closed from 6-8.15pm so by the time we ate it was about 9.30pm! We had to take it in our stride. A bunny rabbit that lived there hopped round the restaurant , which kept us entertained for a while. There was no alcohol served there, so we wandered down the beach to "b'first bar" for a beer or cocktail. We at all our meals there except for one night when we had the BBQ at "B'first". We stayed for 3 nights and the reception staff were informative and polite. My husband and 2 teenage children did Scuba Diving at the Arwana resort Dive Centre as the Coral Redang Dive Centre was fully booked. They had a great time. The beach in front of the resort was quiet and relaxing. We had a good time there.

2 Thank mammaknowsbest
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pulau Perhentian Besar
Coral View Island Resort
Coral View Island Resort
#2 of 10 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resort
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resor...
#4 of 10 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & Beach Chalet
Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & B...
#6 of 10 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Perhentian Island Resort
Perhentian Island Resort
#3 of 10 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
BuBu Long Beach Resort
BuBu Long Beach Resort
#1 of 7 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil
Perhentian Tuna Bay Island Resort
Perhentian Tuna Bay Island Resor...
#1 of 10 in Pulau Perhentian Besar

Been to Flora Bay Resort? Share your experiences!