“Average resort, very good conservation work.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Bubbles Dive Centre and Resort
Reviewed October 14, 2013

What do i recall about this place? In summary, thumbs up for the location, diving and conservation efforts, neutral for the level of service rendered and for the room. For food served, its pathetic. If you can't sleep, read on for my long winded elaboration.

Bubbles stands out for what I feel is their genuine care for the environment, nature and of course their sea turtle projects which they are pretty serious in. I applaud them for what i can tell are noble efforts in recycling and keeping the place in general sustainable, clean and being of less impact to the environment. For efforts in keeping their beach clean, for saving the turtles etc, they deserve a 6 star if i could give them such a rating.

Of the rooms, they are pretty spartan, no frills though not uncomfortable either. I believe there are much worse in Perhentian, though one is pretty much held ransom by the popularity of the islands and doesn't have much to choose from as they are all packed during peak season. In another place, i would have expected more for my buck. I give 3 stars for a very average room and a shower area perpetually filled with fallen leaves and twigs. Very good sized though. Couldn't say the same for the curtains.

For the food standards, I'd hate to say this, but my girlfriend honestly does better and for much less. Good thing I had a full board package, otherwise I'd be cursing to pay ala carte for such food standards. 1 star.

For the location, its perfect. A back drop of an awe inspiring jungle and a quaint fresh waterstream (yes, I tasted the water when nobody was looking =D) running down to the sea with little fishes in there. The beach was perfectly clean and the water sparkling and teeming with marine life. You couldn't fault the beach at Bubbles even if you wanted to and the green turtles definitely agree by coming to lay eggs here by the 2s and 3s per night, guarded by the military like turtle volunteers.

5 stars for the conservation efforts and for trying to educate guests and getting them involved in turtle conservation.

For the diving experience, its the first time I dived without a dedicated guide/DM/instructor tagged to me.

It's quite a system, first come first served on your preferred dive location by writing your name on a white board under the site you'd like to go and the guides are rotated just as the dive sites are changed every now and then. (Basically, once in the morning, after lunch and finally like 2pm) Come late when they refresh the board and you're left with the nearby reef dives with the larger groups filling the "more interesting sites" at a go. Not that the outlying reefs are not nice though.

Took me and gf a good while to figure this white board and rotating instructor system out. Not much personal touch here, just good dive guides whom do the necessary but not much more than that. Lacking that lil something that really makes one remember with fond memories. The gear provided is perfectly functional, though old and somewhat grubby looking with rusty Coke cans in the BC side pockets. Yes, cans with an S.

3 stars for the dive centre, 5 stars for the dive sites. Especially loved Tanjong Basi but unfortunately didn't get a chance to visit the famous Tokong Laut and Sugar Wreck.

Lastly, the service of the resort staff..they interact with guests with largely varying levels of friendliness and professionalism.

Overall, I thought the staff were quite cold and lacking in personal touch in this supposedly warm resort with raving reviews. Perhaps they are a victim of their own publicity and of the numerous 5 star reviews. I had very high expectations when I hopped off the boat. For such a highly rated resort, service was pretty much non-existent and one pretty much had to figure out how things work here by themselves or had to ask numerous questions at various stages.

This is good if you're someone whom prefers not to be disturbed and left to your own and care not for customer service or interaction. I'm quite ok with being left to my own accord but couldn't give a good rating as I don't see efforts to try to make guests comfortable or at home. As mentioned, the efforts probably went to the turtles more. So 3 starts for service.

Will I come back to Bubbles? Perhaps I'll decide after comparing with other resorts or if I'd want to be part of their turtle conservation project. I'll try something at Perhentian Kechil first.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank arai33
peiseehw, Owner at Bubbles Dive Centre and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Thank you very much for your very detail review. First of all we apologised on the curtains, which is my life's work to get it working since the contractor installed the rail a little too short! It will be replaced for next season. As for the fallen leaves and twigs are the negative on having the nice open air shower after storm.
We will improve the dive centre system, and changing it to a more friendly environment.
Thank you again for your constructive criticism.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

The location was perfect!! A own private beach in front of the resort. The food was good, but quite expensive comparing to Malaysia standards. But the main disapointment was the staff. The staff was very unfriendly! The staff were only busy with each other and not with their guests.. If we asked something we get not clear answers, which is very irritating. When we checked in we did'nt get clear answers on our questions and we didn't know how things work. The English language of the guy who checked us in was very bad, we didn't understand him! When we check out we had a discussing about the prices which where not clear to us, a specially the diving prices.

Unfortunatly we get the idea that the staff only only needed the tourists for their money. Maybe it has something to do with the volentairs on the island, which where a quite a few and where a little bit lazy in my opion. The rooms where ok, nothing special. The rooms where not very clean and the shower had no power. Also I missed good beds on the beach for relaxing.

For the location I recommended the place but totally not for the staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PimDouw

Hi, Thank you for your feed back, and very sorry for our English. We will work hard on that and improve our friendliness, which is highlighted very highly on most of the other reviews. I think we got too near to the closing season, and our crew are all getting relaxed.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

I wish I could go this place for a few weeks every year. Beautiful spot, very very friendly staff, clean and spacious accommodation. Turtles have chosen the beach at Bubbles to nest, this means its clean and quiet. (the staff also cleans the beach on a daily basis). Perfect for snorkling and diving.
This is real paradise...

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Arien_W
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I visited Bubbles on a World Challenge Expedition with 17 other students from my school as part of the turtle conservation project that is currently running at Bubbles. After a short boat ride from the fishing town of Kuala Besut we arrived at Bubbles private beach and were greeted by all of the awesome staff who escorted us off the boat all the way to our rooms.

We were all briefed on the turtle conservation project they had running and then invited into the hatchery to do a health check on the turtle eggs prior to getting handed a snorkel and diving into the crystal clear water just meters from our room. Even at knee depth you can see thousands of fish swimming past your feet and even some small sharks! But once you head out to the coral reef, thats when you start to see the really big, beautifully coloured fish.

At night the conservation team run night patrols on the beach which you can join in on and on the first night I was there I happened to be lucky enough to witness three huge green sea turtles come up onto the beach and lay their eggs. At night in the water you can see the bioluminescent plankton lighting up the water which is just incredible to watch.

If you head over to the dive shop there is a huge range of dive tours to choose from such as underwater photography courses to wreckage dives. You can also hire stand up paddles boards and kayaks if you happen to be interested in doing some of that.

The food was absolutely incredible and worth every cent and all of the staff were so kind and happy to help and on the last night we were able to release some turtle hatchlings into the water which was just incredible!

Overall, Bubbles is an awesome resort with superb staff, an awesome location, a dive centre and an absolutely astounding turtle conservation project!

A huge thanks to Sharna and Harry for the awesome time on the conservation project!

1  Thank joshwilliams142
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I'm not much of a diver myself. Didn't even pull myself to go snorkeling. It was my first time in Perhentian and boy, am I impressed with Bubbles!

People are friendly, decent rooms, AMAZING food (was totally surprised tbh).
And the view, simply breathtaking!

The beach is very well kept. And the best part is since Bubbles was the only resort on that particular part of the island, we basically got the ENTIRE beach to ourselves.
Hammocks everywhere. Which was a plus. Spent whole mornings just laying around with a book, falling in and out of sleep. Simply amazing.

Bubbles is the perfect getaway from all the hustle and bustle of the busy city. No crowds, no crazy parties. Just peace, serenity, and friendly people.

Oh, and they got a great turtle conservation programme as well. Managed to see one up on shore laying its egg on the 2nd night. Real lucky.

Totally recommended! Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We arrived at Bubbles a night early due to having rats in our room in another resort on the island and turned up hoping they would be able to accomodate us, and couldn't believe how much the staff go out of their way to help you. The rooms are very spacious, clean and the open roof shower is awesome. Compared with other places we stayed on the perhentians Bubbles is in a league of its own. The rooms were cleaned daily, and it was great that you can put everything on tab in the restaurant so you don't have to worry about taking money with you whenever you need anything. We also felt incredibly safe leaving things in our room (again very different to other places we stayed on the island!). I would give it 5 stars but the only thing I felt let it down was that the food was so much more expensive, in fact it worked out cheaper to get a water taxi to the other side of the island and have lunch there. Whilst I appreciate that the resort is remote and so may warrant a slightly higher price you can't help but feel that they take advantage of this. Overall though it was an amazing place to stay and I would definitely go back!

Room Tip: We had room three which overlooked the jungle area, take a torch though as we came back to see a pyt...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank a1anya
peiseehw, Owner at Bubbles Dive Centre and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Thank you very much for your review, and it is our pleasure to hear about your stay. Glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

We did our open water PADI at Bubbles and stayed on the 4 day/4 night package. Everything exceeded our wildest expectations. The accommodation and facilities were great - I've never had such a clean and tidy room in my life! The food was delicious and there were always loads of options. The staff, both in the restaurant and resort and in the dive shop were, however, far and away the best thing about the place. The atmosphere is extremely relaxed and couldn't be friendlier or more welcoming. After only 4 nights we shed a tear when we left. Such a special place and we'll certainly be going back. A special thank you to Garth, Mike, Dolla and Sharna.

Room Tip: Deluxe double bed was great. There were only two of us but it could certainly sleep three.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review and it is always lovely to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our crew are delighted and motivated by your positive feed back. Hope to see you again on our lovely beach.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pulau Perhentian Besar
2 mi away
Perhentian Tuna Bay Island Resort
Perhentian Tuna Bay Island Resor...
#2 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Perhentian Island Resort
Perhentian Island Resort
#4 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Coral View Island Resort
Coral View Island Resort
#3 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & Beach Chalet
Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & B...
#8 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
2 mi away
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resort
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resor...
#5 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
BuBu Long Beach Resort
BuBu Long Beach Resort
#1 of 7 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil

Been to Bubbles Dive Centre and Resort? Share your experiences!