“Very nice place...”
Review of Abdul's Chalet

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Abdul's Chalet
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed at Abdul's for 6 nights and the place was very clean, hot water and electricity working all day (a few cutbacks due to some small defects on the generator). The aircon worked well, although they turn it off at around 10 p.m. so you have to turn it on manually after that. The bed is huge and very comfortable. (Sea Deluxe)

Food in the restaurant was OK overall, nothing special, but they do pretty decent roti canai for breakfast. They do not serve any alcohol anywhere on the big island I believe.

The beach had some dead corals on it but the sea is spotlessly clean and the beach (quite small but it was never crowded) is cleaned everyday.

Nice snorchling directly on the beach (although I am sure there are nicer places in the islands).

Overall nothing to complain about (except of the very poor English of the staff - but they manage).

Nice and cozy experience, I would recommend to everyone.

Room Tip: I believe sea view rooms are worth it!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fojo57

Reviewed April 26, 2013

A few things of importance:
We are regulars at perhentian, and decided to test Abdul because of the amazingly high rating (4.5). We are a family with 4 kids, ages 2 to 8 and they only had one room that they suggested would work for us, but it was much too cramped with the extra mattress that was needed for all of us. Maybe a fair mistake but I think reflective of the somewhat indifferent attitude displayed by the staff.

There was never once any offer to help with luggage ( which we had rather a lot off with the kids). People will stand around watching you trying to haul luggage across the beach and it does not occur to offer a helping hand. Not even getting into service, it's plain rude.

Food was reasonable, their fresh fruit juices are very good.

The beach - this is the point that I should say that the beach was amazing and so everything else was ok. I am very bemused by this. First of all there is a great big concrete jetty which is an eyesore right on the beach. I am AMAZED that this has not comeup in other posts. There a loads of people bustling on and off it as there are various govt type organisations on the beach (hydrological) station and another place that looked like some kind of govt training camp on the beach. There are also lots of fishing boats moored about 30m from the beach, and these are not charming one man fishing boats, these are the types with sonar systems attached to them. Charming it is not. The beach is also shared with another resort so you really don't have a sense of quite peaceful place.

It's also run very commercially And they are happy to milk you. Kayaks are advertised as rm10 per hour, but they will then charge you rm10 for each life vest you take. It's not a big deal, but starts to grate after a while.

We were supposed to stay for 5 nights, but decided to bail after 3 - we failed to persuade ourselves that it was worth it. We went to bubbles (our usual) place instead and it is so much better.

It may be better if you are a couple with a chalet on the beach, looking off your veranda if you just looked in one direction, you could avoid looking at the jetty, so pretty nice I guess. But with kids, you are much better off going to bubbles.

As someone coming to perhentian for over 10 yrs, even pre family, I just can't understand how Abdul's has gotten so high up the rating game. It's so little of what perhentian is supposed to be - quiet, pristine and beautiful.

Ps. If you want something fun and lively then understandably you go to long beach on perhentian Kecil, have done it and enjoyed it myself. This is not that though, it's just not very nice.

Room Tip: Nearer the restaurant, on the beach
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank DDC1974
Reviewed April 20, 2013

What's great:
- Right ON the beach. You walk out of your chalet onto the beach.
- Awesome snorkeling right in front of your rooms :)
- Food is quite good. They have a handful of vegetarian options.
- Food is inexpensive. I spent under MYR 50 for three meals!
- The rooms are quite clean and the AC is a chiller
- The staff covers the basics efficiently.
- Mansour, the main guy who runs the place is a cool dude. He is very knowledgable. Except for him, you cannot hold a long enough conversation / discussion with anyone else on what all specifically to do etc.

For what its worth. I arrived at 10am, and my room was ready - I had no problems checking in.

The only weakness there is the team's English and a true hotel-like service orientation. Unlike the awesome Southern Fried Rice in Phuket, the place here could do with a bit of B&B style warmth!

Minor irritants:
- My bathroom had no soap. Thankfully I had some.
- They didnt have any global power plug adapters, when their own shop was selling one! A 215 MYR room should have such a 5 MYR adapter available for loan, no?

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 9, 2013

First of all let me say that the stay in Abdul's Chalets on Besar was supposed to be the highlight of our Malaysian trip. Unfortunately it was a HUGE dissapointment.
I contacted Abdul's as soon as they opened booking for 2013 and I booked standard sea view room with transfer from Kota Bharu airport. I paid 50% of the cost of our stay. I made sure that they know when we are arriving and that someone will pick us up from the airport. What was our surprise when we found out that there was no one at the airport. Abdul's didn't send anyone! After trying to contact them (thanks to people from the taxi counter) we were taken to Kuala Besut jetty. We had to explain and prove (in the airport and the jetty) that we paid for the transport as everybody wanted to charge us. Still there was no one from Abdul's. Finally we arrived at Abdul's. Our first impression was a bit dissapointing - the beach is rather small, but the water is extremely clear. The receptionist took our passports to register us and as there was no word of "sorry that no one came ti pick you up although you paid for it" I asked if she's aware that we had some major problems with arriving to Besar at the airport and at the jetty. She said that no, she doesn't know, but there was supposed to be someone and if there was no one, it's not her fault! We had a short discussion, which ended quite fast as she said that our room is still occupied (it was ca. 10 am) and she's not sure when it's going to be ready. Up till now no appology or any nice word! I said that I want to talk to the manager or whoever is in charge. Apparently there was no one - what's even more surprising the receptionist told us that the management will arrive the day of our departure (how convenient, isn't it????) so there was no one to complain. I asked her what she expects us to do - waiting for I don't know long, without bathroom, with our backpacks and she said that it's not her problem. I asked if they have another room or any place where we could rest and again the answer was no. There was absolutely no will of helping us. Is this how a holiday should look like?
This is when I got furious! I demanded that she gives me back my deposit. We decided with my husband that if they don't care about clients, we won't leave there a penny! But surprisingly she said that she can't as there is no one from the management. And suddenly a weird gut with sunglasses appeared, who told us that he can give us back our money - after long discussion (as they wanted us to pay for the transfer) we got our money back. We had no idea what to do. Abdul's didn't care at all - there was no will of even offering a glass of water or anything. Maybe if they told us - we're really sorry for all the trouble, we'll do our best that you have your room ready ASAP and in the meantime you can rest in our restaurant, use the bathroom or whatever, but nothing like tis took place. What is more, they directly told that if we don't like to, we can just leave.
I have no idea who the guy wearing glasses was, because he didn't introduce himself, although I asked him to. Both he and the reception lady were arrogant and rude.

So my advice is to think twice before going to Abdul's!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
16  Thank Kasia S
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in garden bungalow. Room was was very clean and only 10m from the beach which is lovely. Food is good and very cheap for lunch 10 rm and dinner bbq 25-40. Also ate at tuna bay which was excellent and slightly more variety. Staff in both top notch.

4  Thank LiamIreland100
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We spent two nights in a garden view bungalow at Abdul's. The bungalow itself was superb with a plenty of space, well working fan and ac, terrace facing the sea and nice spacious bathroom. All garden view bungalows are situated in second row behind the beach front bungalows. We were bit lucky since our bungalow had a position looking through the alley to the sea. The food was compared to other resorts really cheap and we enjoyed it. Another big plus of Abdul's is the location. Since they have their own pier, the ferry boat from Kuala Besut can drop you directly without changing the boat on the sea. We found it the best place for swimming while watching sunset. The water is calm, crystal clear and good for a first snorkelling experience. It's even better if you walk a bit further to the South corner. We had a great time and can definitely recommend it. They also offer good and cheap snorkelling trips around the island for 30 rm. We spotted a huge turtle in the water, great experience!

2  Thank WhiskyRob
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

The rooms well kept, but basic. All the air con and shower and things work really well. Very well sealed rooms. The breakfast and lunch is good, the dinner was average... but its nice to venture out anyhow. The water in front is perfect for swimming and felt very safe for children too.
When you arrive you realise that it's amazing value for money. It takes a while to sink in... But the staff ate very happy and friendly and helpful and the whole experience great. Highly recommended.

4  Thank ddlp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pulau Perhentian Besar
Coral View Island Resort
Coral View Island Resort
#3 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Perhentian Tuna Bay Island Resort
Perhentian Tuna Bay Island Resor...
#2 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & Beach Chalet
Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & B...
#8 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Perhentian Island Resort
Perhentian Island Resort
#4 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resort
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resor...
#5 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
BuBu Long Beach Resort
BuBu Long Beach Resort
#1 of 7 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil

Been to Abdul's Chalet? Share your experiences!