“who likes it quiet and secluded ...”
Review of Mama's Place

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Mama's Place
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We have welcomed us warmly thanks Stefan Loose-we deliberately chose the Mama's and were moved to a bungalow with sea views.
The decor is simple-designed large bed, dressing table, wardrobe, the bathroom in typical outdated and there is only cold water.
We visited for breakfast and dinner the own restaurant, the staff are very nice and there are evening barbeque, where you then "Mama" goes, which can weigh out the really fresh fish and immediately put on the grill.
We went snorkeling with an employee for 45 ringgit, which has paid off, because we were on a small boat with him and visited the famous snorkeling areas without baiting.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Mama's Place

Reviewed October 16, 2013

The bungalows are in a beautiful setting, but are like bat caves on the inside. Bathroom was small and cramped, clothes got very damp. I have stayed in many bungalows over SE Asia - this was one of my worst. No mosquito net which is needed and some fresh white sheets would make it look a whole lot better. Furniture was dirty, and quite frankly for the price they charge I don't think its acceptable. I will not stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank kissey15
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 5 nights at mamas place.
We had a big clean bungalow, the only thing we missed was a mosquito net. It was just a 8 minute walk to the amazing beach. Also the staff at the reception was very friendly and helpful. The food at mamas restaurant is ok. But on the hole island is the food not so good like the food in other areas of Malaysia.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Basic rooms but who needs luxury in the most secluded and beautiful spot in the island? The service and attention from Aziz and Jimmy make up for the basic accommodation. Food at their restaurant is delicious and good value (try the pancakes and barbecue). You do get to experience a felling of a Malaysian home if you stay there. Children running around, grandma taking a nap by the beach...truly idilic experience, not to be missed.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank LittleMsMe
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We spend a week in this beatiful place. It's near the turtle bay diving center of Besar, the staff is very friendly and the place is quiet and relaxing.
Do not expect luxury room (there's no hot water) but they are clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This was my 7th time at Mama's place. Place that I can not miss while I'm in Malaysia. I don't have so much more to add as I already wrote two reviews but still I will list some things for those who do not like to browse back. I usually always like to stay at the garden view type of chalet. Bungalow itself is not super duper high resort type but it more than basic. Rooms are clean and well maintained. I'm amazed that after all these years they always provide same quality and there is not signs of wear. I guess Aziz the owner and the staff look after that place good and provide good maintenance.
I like to stay with Mama's as it is the only place you will receive a bit of that domestic Malaysian feeling with children running around and playing, relaxed staff, talking with owner, mama, papa, Aziz, Jimmy, Elvis. All are very nice and funny persons who I like to meet every time.
Restaurant as usually provide good quality food. Food quality in all these years is the same. Menu provide same dishes so if you liked something like 10 years ago you will still get it :). BBQ is a must and sure I recommend to take some fish to try with the BBQ sauce it is delicious. During the Ramadan period be prepared that restaurant is closed from 5 - 8pm and be prepared that a big crowd of people will rush at 8pm so it will be very busy time and all the staff will have a lot to work to serve all the people. Try to be tolerant and relaxed and don't expect that dishes will come all at once. The best strategy here is that you order the same dishes otherwise it can happen that your partner will already eat everything when you are still waiting for your food. So another tip be prepared for that or avoid Ramadan period in Malaysia and visit Mama's place out of that time.
This year we also took a great snorkeling trip to Rawa Island and we were very lucky as the water was the most crystal clear I ever saw here. It was a great experience.
Place overall is very quiet, don't expect any parties or long hangings at the bar. This is no alcohol place so you will need to go somewhere else for that. Place is the most popular with relaxed divers, couples and families with children.
If you want relaxed place and great family touch atmosphere that is a place to go.

Room Tip: Beach row for ppl that needs more commodity, deluxe garden view for flashpackers and superior garden...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Dave S
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

It was a nice place for staying and really cheap for the high season , about 70ringitt so 18€ . I had a bungalow with garden view and it was good kind of a Hawaii feeling:)) the room was simple but enough and I Had no a.c but it was ok ! The only thing what I didn't liked was the toilet , it was kind of dirty :/ I mean the seat wasn't white anymore . But it was still good in mamas because of the perfect service and the nice feeling

• Stayed: August 2013